Oregon man gets life without parole for killing 2 on Portland train after hate-filled tirade

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
What's with the hair patches and half eye-brows? Is this a white supremacist thing or just a skeezer thing?

Please note that Christian attempts to justify his behavior by claiming that he assessed the situation and concluded that at least one of the guys he stabbed was "a threat".

"Jeremy Christian was convicted this winter in the 2017 stabbing deaths that followed a hate-filled rant aboard a train.

Image: Jeremy Christian

Jeremy Christian reacts before being removed by deputies during his sentencing hearing in Portland, Ore. on June 23, 2020.Dave Killen / The Oregonian/Pool via AP

June 24, 2020, 6:06 PM PDT
By Phil Helsel

An Oregon man convicted of fatally stabbing two people and injuring a third after a hate-filled rant on a Portland light-rail train in 2017 has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Jeremy Joseph Christian, 38, was found guilty by a jury in February of two counts of murder and other counts in the May 26, 2017, stabbing.

Taliesin Namkai-Meche, 23, and Ricky Best, 53, were killed on the train after a racist and hate-filled tirade. Some of Christian's rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf.
Micah Fletcher, who was 21 at the time of the attack, was injured but survived. He has been plagued by nightmares since and started drinking heavily, he said from the stand Wednesday.

"There is not a room in this world that I can enter without at least scanning it first to decide who the person is that is most likely to hurt me, how close by they are," Fletcher said.

He addressed Christian during his statement.

"Though I hope you sit in a cell for the rest of your life so that you are never able to hurt another person — the way you hurt those families — again, I do hope that you find a way to become better than what you are today," he said.
Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge Cheryl A. Albrecht on Wednesday sentenced Christian to two consecutive life terms without the possibility of release or parole, as well as 310 months, or a little less than 26 years, to be served on top of those sentences.

"The resulting convictions do little to ease the pain," Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill said in a statement. "But, they do show those who foster hate what our community can and will do to combat such evil as we move forward — together."

Christian has shown no remorse and "believes his crimes are justified based on his concepts of 'free speech,'" prosecutors said in a sentencing recommendation.

A psychiatrist who examined him testified that Christian suffers from Anti-Social Personality Disorder, prosecutors wrote. They added he has shown concern only for himself.

Christian watched testimony on a monitor in another room of the courthouse, NBC affiliate KGW of Portland reported.

"I do regret that two people died, but I do not regret my actions that led to their death. Nor was it my explicit intent to murder anyone," he said, according to the station.

As Christian hurled abuse at people the day of the attack, Namkai-Meche apparently sought to record him on a cellphone. Christian grabbed the phone, threw it to the floor and within seconds, pulled out a knife and stabbed Namkai-Meche, Best and Fletcher, prosecutors said.

Christian said that he felt confronted. He said Best was standing nearby and had not done anything but "I just assessed he was a threat," The Oregonian reported.

Christian was convicted of two counts of murder in the first degree; one count of attempted murder in the first degree; one count of assault in the first degree; one count of assault in the second degree; three counts of intimidation in the second degree; two counts of unlawful use of a weapon; and two counts of menacing."

What's with the hair patches and half eye-brows? Is this a white supremacist thing or just a skeezer thing?

Please note that Christian attempts to justify his behavior by claiming that he assessed the situation and concluded that at least one of the guys he stabbed was "a threat".

"Jeremy Christian was convicted this winter in the 2017 stabbing deaths that followed a hate-filled rant aboard a train.

Jeremy Christian reacts before being removed by deputies during his sentencing hearing in Portland, Ore. on June 23, 2020.Dave Killen / The Oregonian/Pool via AP

By Phil Helsel

An Oregon man convicted of fatally stabbing two people and injuring a third after a hate-filled rant on a Portland light-rail train in 2017 has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Jeremy Joseph Christian, 38, was found guilty by a jury in February of two counts of murder and other counts in the May 26, 2017, stabbing.

Taliesin Namkai-Meche, 23, and Ricky Best, 53, were killed on the train after a racist and hate-filled tirade. Some of Christian's rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf.
Micah Fletcher, who was 21 at the time of the attack, was injured but survived. He has been plagued by nightmares since and started drinking heavily, he said from the stand Wednesday.

"There is not a room in this world that I can enter without at least scanning it first to decide who the person is that is most likely to hurt me, how close by they are," Fletcher said.

"Though I hope you sit in a cell for the rest of your life so that you are never able to hurt another person — the way you hurt those families — again, I do hope that you find a way to become better than what you are today," he said.
Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge Cheryl A. Albrecht on Wednesday sentenced Christian to two consecutive life terms without the possibility of release or parole, as well as 310 months, or a little less than 26 years, to be served on top of those sentences.

"The resulting convictions do little to ease the pain," Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill said in a statement. "But, they do show those who foster hate what our community can and will do to combat such evil as we move forward — together."

Christian has shown no remorse and "believes his crimes are justified based on his concepts of 'free speech,'" prosecutors said in a sentencing recommendation.

A psychiatrist who examined him testified that Christian suffers from Anti-Social Personality Disorder, prosecutors wrote. They added he has shown concern only for himself.

Christian watched testimony on a monitor in another room of the courthouse, NBC affiliate KGW of Portland reported.

"I do regret that two people died, but I do not regret my actions that led to their death. Nor was it my explicit intent to murder anyone," he said, according to the station.

As Christian hurled abuse at people the day of the attack, Namkai-Meche apparently sought to record him on a cellphone. Christian grabbed the phone, threw it to the floor and within seconds, pulled out a knife and stabbed Namkai-Meche, Best and Fletcher, prosecutors said.

Christian said that he felt confronted. He said Best was standing nearby and had not done anything but "I just assessed he was a threat," The Oregonian reported.

Christian was convicted of two counts of murder in the first degree; one count of attempted murder in the first degree; one count of assault in the first degree; one count of assault in the second degree; three counts of intimidation in the second degree; two counts of unlawful use of a weapon; and two counts of menacing."

Good job he wasnt carrying a gun or they would all be dead. Chalk this one down to anti immigrant hate speech working on a lunatic mind.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

By Phil Helsel

More bad news for the blob brigade. I'm not sure why they will see this as a defeat but I'm sure they will.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

By Phil Helsel

More bad news for the blob brigade. I'm not sure why they will see this as a defeat but I'm sure they will.
“Taliesin Namkai-Meche, 23, and Ricky Best, 53, were killed on the train after a racist and hate-filled tirade. Some of Christian's rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf.” ibid

Trump did make racist and hate-filled remarks directed at American citizens and Democratic women of color serving in Congress, one of whom wears a head scarf.

By Phil Helsel

Good job he wasnt carrying a gun or they would all be dead. Chalk this one down to anti immigrant hate speech working on a lunatic mind.

Too bad someone else wasn't carrying a gun, one person would still be alive, and the State would save a ton of money.

By Phil Helsel

Too bad someone else wasn't carrying a gun, one person would still be alive, and the State would save a ton of money.
I doubt that. Guns are not the cure all.

By Phil Helsel

I doubt that. Guns are not the cure all.

I never said they were, but they would certainly solve a lot of problems.

By Phil Helsel

“Taliesin Namkai-Meche, 23, and Ricky Best, 53, were killed on the train after a racist and hate-filled tirade. Some of Christian's rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf.” ibid

Trump did make racist and hate-filled remarks directed at American citizens and Democratic women of color serving in Congress, one of whom wears a head scarf.
I think the guy lost it when because they reminded him of Dog Face Pony Soldiers....

It's great that the murderer will be severely punished.

I just wish that ALL murderers (regardless of their ethnicity) were similarly punished.

I guess that this goes to show that justice is still alive, but how well is it doing would be the big question.

God bless you and the families of the victims always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back