Orange and yellow flowers

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Dianthus Super Trouper Orange.jpgDianthus Sunflor Amber.jpg

I have the Dianthus Super Trouper Orange and the Dianthus Sunflor Amber. They start blooming early which is awesome. However, I thought that they would have a lot more pop. Right now I have everything in containers. My goal is that next year I will be able to plant them in the ground--not these unless I don't kill them. That way I will have the whole set up of something blooming for every season. I have some some orange daylilies that came out of nowhere. I think I would like to plant those intentionally next year. I have some mums but they haven't started blooming yet so I can't get a real good visual. I also have my marigolds but those are annuals.

My question is, do you all have any recommendations for orange or yellow plants that are really vibrant that I could add? I am probably not going to grow them from seed but there is always that off chance I do that.

Try a good fertilizer for potted plants and dissolve baking soda in the water you are using to water them....
This works on my Dahlias....
And the larger the pot the better the color...

View attachment 660858View attachment 660861

I have the Dianthus Super Trouper Orange and the Dianthus Sunflor Amber. They start blooming early which is awesome. However, I thought that they would have a lot more pop. Right now I have everything in containers. My goal is that next year I will be able to plant them in the ground--not these unless I don't kill them. That way I will have the whole set up of something blooming for every season. I have some some orange daylilies that came out of nowhere. I think I would like to plant those intentionally next year. I have some mums but they haven't started blooming yet so I can't get a real good visual. I also have my marigolds but those are annuals.

My question is, do you all have any recommendations for orange or yellow plants that are really vibrant that I could add? I am probably not going to grow them from seed but there is always that off chance I do that.

There are always orange or yellow marigolds for this time of year. I have been growing orange milk weed from seed for the butterflies for awhile. I kind of like it and the blooms while small, last much longer thn say day lillies. This is also the time of year where gladiolus are starting to bloom. Lots of choices there, but if you want to keep a single color they may require some long-term management as the hybrids often will start to "naturalize" back to a different color over time. My yellow ones I planted a few years ago are coming out lilac so far this year. Just planted a few hundred of the orange ones this year. Hopefully they won't naturalize too soon.

View attachment 660858View attachment 660861

I planted bee balms and coreopsis plants.....bee balms bright red, orange, and purple.....and coreopsis vibrant yellow.....because the rabbits dont like them and by second year they are beautiful. The rabbits ate the coneflowers and black eyed susans so I came up with alternates.

Buy the 94% Sulfur fertilizer (20lb bag) and apply sparingly every two weeks.

Roses especially will love it as it makes the flowers have a more vibrant color and bigger size too.

Try a good fertilizer for potted plants and dissolve baking soda in the water you are using to water them....
This works on my Dahlias....
And the larger the pot the better the color...
What is a "good" fertilizer?

There are always orange or yellow marigolds for this time of year. I have been growing orange milk weed from seed for the butterflies for awhile. I kind of like it and the blooms while small, last much longer thn say day lillies. This is also the time of year where gladiolus are starting to bloom. Lots of choices there, but if you want to keep a single color they may require some long-term management as the hybrids often will start to "naturalize" back to a different color over time. My yellow ones I planted a few years ago are coming out lilac so far this year. Just planted a few hundred of the orange ones this year. Hopefully they won't naturalize too soon.
I have a mixed group of gladiolas and they came as a gift so I have no idea what color that they are yet but those were easier to get to grow than I first thought.

Buy the 94% Sulfur fertilizer (20lb bag) and apply sparingly every two weeks.

Roses especially will love it as it makes the flowers have a more vibrant color and bigger size too.
Do you have any particular brand that you use?

You will laugh at me when I tell you...
but... I use miracle grow... Its mild but its an all around fertilizer... I have always had good results in my potted plants with it....
How often do you use baking soda and how much are you using?

Do you have any particular brand that you use?

94% sulfur is the same no matter the brand might be, try the nursery or better go to an agriculture store that sells fertilizers pesticides and herbicides or try the internet to find some.

How often do you use baking soda and how much are you using?
I use just a tablespoonful in a two gallon watering can... and I don't use it every time I water... maybe once a month or so....

Thanks! You all have been really helpful.

I have a mixed group of gladiolas and they came as a gift so I have no idea what color that they are yet but those were easier to get to grow than I first thought.

I am rediscovering them so to speak. Grew them years ago but not many. I built a frog pond and was looking for something tall and spiky to go with the irises but that would maybe bloom a little longer. Started with a few glads and this year went a little overboard with them.

Dried and ground liberals though poisonous to any plant having orange flowers. Especially Oranges, Tangerines and Pumpkins.
Well, I can see why your bartender cut you off last night.

I have lots of different oranges and yellows. But I donlt always know what everything is. I sow a lot of pot luck wildflower seed every year and all sorts of different things pop up. If I like em, I salvage the seeds or just let them sow themselves.

I dunno what these are, but I like em. They're probably in the Black-Eyed Susan family in some way..

Screen Shot 140.jpg

I'll try to remember to dig through my flower pictures to see what all I've had out there. I know I've had a lot of different varieties of orange and yellows. They're some of my favorites.

They're almost always annuals, though, so you have to let them drop seeds.

Last edited:
Those are awesome. If you figure out what they are please let me know.

Forum List

Back