Open Minded Agnostic Atheist

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I am totally open to the idea that god is real I just don’t believe any religions are real. I like debating with theists who agree religions are man made up. I agree the universe and this planet are amazing. And it seems like it’s too perfect and there has to be some higher power. But we know so little still. Maybe there are other universes? Maybe there was is or will be life around every star eventually. Maybe not as advance as us but maybe more. And maybe the spirit lives on forever after you die. Just seems like wishful thinking to me. But I hope so. These are unknowable things.

So far I see no evidence of god and I don’t believe one exists. Everything can be explained scientifically. What can’t, may never be known. Those gaps aren’t god.

You can't be an agnostic atheist.

I would say you are an agnostic secularist

• Atheist - There is no god.
  • Nihilistic - Life has no meaning.
  • Secular - Lack of religion.
  • Agnostic - There may or may not be a god, but open to know more.
  • Gnostic - Belief that the God (or gods) we worship are in fact evil tricksters and that a secret knowledge is preventing us from the true God.
  • Animistic - Belief that all things contain spirits.
  • Deist - There is a God who created life, but just watches and does not intervene.
  • Theist - Belief in a higher power and at least one god.
  • Polytheist - Belief in more than one god.
  • Monotheist -believing in a single God - ie. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
  • Apostate - A person who leaves a religion.
  • Misotheist - A person that hates God or the Gods.
  • Dustheism - Belief that God or the Gods are not totally good.
  • Macioism - Belief that God is a Demiurge and wrathful, malicious evil creator. Similar to Gnostic.
  • Euthesim - Belief in a totally good God.

• Gnostic - Belief that the God (or gods) we worship are in fact evil tricksters and that a secret knowledge is preventing us from the true God.
  • Deist - There is a God who created life, but just watches and does not intervene.
  • Macioism - Belief that God is a Demiurge and wrathful, malicious evil creator. Similar to Gnostic.
Thanks for the list. See? I am open minded and learned something today.

Id like people to say where they fall on your list. You?

What do you mean life has meaning? What is the meaning? What is our purpose? I think we could master the universe if we weren’t so primitive. Still warring with each other rather than working as one planet to get to mars and mine the meteor belt. Then build a ship the size of a planet that can also survive interstellar travel. Then we might have a purpose.

If we stay on this Rock eventually we will die of some natural cause. The planet will still have other creatures who survive this mass global extinction but even they too will die when the water goes or the sun burns out. If we go with the planet, what was our purpose?

We are a way for the universe to know itself. Amazing.

What do you mean life has meaning? What is the meaning? What is our purpose? I think we could master the universe if we weren’t so primitive. Still warring with each other rather than working as one planet to get to mars and mine the meteor belt. Then build a ship the size of a planet that can also survive interstellar travel. Then we might have a purpose.

If we stay on this Rock eventually we will die of some natural cause. The planet will still have other creatures who survive this mass global extinction but even they too will die when the water goes or the sun burns out. If we go with the planet, what was our purpose?

There is no purpose to life.

And if the universe is trying to know itself through humans it could do better since we only have an understanding of about 5% of it.

The first thing I will ask god when I see him is which religion was right. I think his answer will be none of them.

In fact this is what god told Joseph Smith in 1800. Told him to start a new one. True story.

If we go with the planet, what was our purpose?
Perhaps the question needs to be, "What is my purpose?" Then (as it has been said) that is the yeast that grows throughout.
I agree. I believe I’m leaving this planet better than I left it. For one, I didn’t have any kids. This planet is overpopulated imo so carbonwise I’m doing my part. I think I’ve also been a very positive influence on my nephews. They worship me. I’m a great uncle. I’ve run into people as far back as high school and college and they tell me what great guys me and my brother were. We stood up to bullies.

So I agree. What is my purpose should be the only question. And as the First Lady said, be best.

The first thing I will ask god when I see him is which religion was right. I think his answer will be none of them.
I think God might answer your question with a question: Which religion (or philosophy) brought you closer to Me? What caused you to reach out to Me?

In his book Illusions Eric Segall noted that the purpose of life is to learn and to have fun--that everything we do can easily fall into one of these two categories.
Yea but then you have people who are hurting physically or mentally or financially or a combination and then they ask what the purpose is.

Yea but then you have people who are hurting physically or mentally or financially or a combination and then they ask what the purpose is.
I sometimes substitute teach in Special Ed classes. I learn so much from them. Their purpose (which I would agree they are totally unaware of) is to teach. I truly learn about love when I am with them. I have heard other students who work with the special education students observe that same thing.

I am totally open to the idea that god is real I just don’t believe any religions are real.

If god is able to be real in your view to see the world, why should be the rebound in god (=religion) not be real, specially because religions - or spirituality - are a daily experience everyone is able to make?

I like debating with theists

That "theists" exist is an idea of atheists about a-atheists (=theists). Christians for example believe just simple in god and would normally not know what someone asks, who asks them: "Are you a theist"? Some will perhaps answer: "No, I do not drink tea."

who agree religions are man made up.

Bye bye.

I agree the universe and this planet are amazing. And it seems like it’s too perfect and there has to be some higher power. But we know so little still. Maybe there are other universes? Maybe there was is or will be life around every star eventually. Maybe not as advance as us but maybe more. And maybe the spirit lives on forever after you die. Just seems like wishful thinking to me. But I hope so. These are unknowable things.

So far I see no evidence of god and I don’t believe one exists. Everything can be explained scientifically. What can’t, may never be known. Those gaps aren’t god.

Last edited:
I think God might answer your question with a question: Which religion (or philosophy) brought you closer to Me? What caused you to reach out to Me?

Lots of reasons I reached out to him. And none of those religions brought me closer actually they brought me further from god. Because they have impossible stories I have to accept on faith and I can’t believe them, none of them convinced me.

i was born into Greek Orthodox but I don’t buy it or the born agains or any other christians.

Maybe I’ll reply back I asked you first. Why won’t he answer my question? Why’s he using this tactic on me rather than explain all the made up religions.

but nice reply preacher. Lol

very slick answer. Trying to make me feel like a bad boy. Why didn’t I just pick a religion? Because I didn’t need a lie to live my life.

So good muslims and jews and Buddhist go to heaven too? All I have to do is pick one? But doesn’t your messiah say only throgh him? Now you say it doesn’t matter?

I am totally open to the idea that god is real I just don’t believe any religions are real.

If god is able to be real in your view to see the world, why should be the rebound in god (=religion) not be real, specially because religions - or spirituality - are a daily experience everyone is able to make?

I like debating with theists

That "theists" exist is an idea of atheits about a-atheist (=theists). Christians for example believe just simple in god and would normally not know what someone asks, who asks them: "Are you a theist"? Some will perhaps answer: "No, I do not drink tea."

who agree religions are man made up.

Bye bye.

I agree the universe and this planet are amazing. And it seems like it’s too perfect and there has to be some higher power. But we know so little still. Maybe there are other universes? Maybe there was is or will be life around every star eventually. Maybe not as advance as us but maybe more. And maybe the spirit lives on forever after you die. Just seems like wishful thinking to me. But I hope so. These are unknowable things.

It’s very easy to become a Christian. Compared to what it takes to be a Muslim or Jew. All you have to believe is that Jesus was the messiah. You’re in.

You may also need to be baptized. Is that true? So if I believe in Jesus but haven’t been baptized do I go to heaven? So I have to pick a church and get baptized or not?

I am totally open to the idea that god is real I just don’t believe any religions are real. I like debating with theists who agree religions are man made up. I agree the universe and this planet are amazing. And it seems like it’s too perfect and there has to be some higher power. But we know so little still. Maybe there are other universes? Maybe there was is or will be life around every star eventually. Maybe not as advance as us but maybe more. And maybe the spirit lives on forever after you die. Just seems like wishful thinking to me. But I hope so. These are unknowable things.

Many of us are simply willing to admit that we don't know.

It's strange - I guess humans have an innate need for order and answers, so it's natural for us to want to (a) figure out The Big Question, and/or (2) attach ourselves to a religion so that the question is answered.

Me, I doubt I'll know The Answer during my lifetime, and I've pretty much come to terms with that.

And if the universe is trying to know itself through humans it could do better since we only have an understanding of about 5% of it.
0.5%

Forum List

Back