Open letter published to fight "Cancel Culture"

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

e111c1c11d4b5b9aaed63b03a4da25bb.jpg

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

So you are no longer Dem leaning???

Greg

srp99F0.gif

So you are no longer Dem leaning???

Greg
Of course I am. And, I've always been passionately against PC/Identity Politics.

And more than willing to call out either silly side for its bullshit.

One issue doesn't make a person, unless that person is a mindless sheep.

Last edited:
Now if the government decides to not allow her to speak, then I'll join her.
Cancel Culture is about culture, not the government.

And it's not censorship. She can say whatever she wants.

And there is a profound difference between not buying something from someone and actively working to impede or damage them.

Free speech is not the right to have no one counter your speech.

Cowards. Complaining about activism. Freedom will test you. It’s advanced citizenship. You have to earn it. You have to listen to someone standing in the center of town square shouting at the top of their lungs that which you’d spend a lifetime opposing. This site trafficked by racists and xenophobes is a perfect example.

mSorry President Shepherd.

Counter with speech, yes. Counter with punishment and intimidation, no.

There is a very clear distinction there.

9nZo3zK.gif

People are saying "I do not support what she is saying". They have as much right to say that as she does to say what she says.

9nZo3zK.gif

People are saying "I do not support what she is saying". They have as much right to say that as she does to say what she says.
Is that all that happens in Cancel Culture, in the big picture?

If so, why is it called "Cancel Culture" to begin with?

For those who stand to become the immediate victims of right-wing fascism it's difficult to say if they are overreacting to white supremacy trying to become a mainstream political ideology.
Freedom of expression has allowed these people to expose themselves to the light of day, loud and clear. I take that as a positive.

Now we know how much work still needs to be done. Freedom of expression gave us that. I'll defend their right to show us what they are.

9nZo3zK.gif

People love to come up with these new labels for things that are not new for some reason.

I guess it helps push the news. "Cancel Culture"?

Whats that? Click.

As an example. I watched a documentary on an underground comic book writer that got himself into trouble over his comics. Now I will agree that the part where the government got involved was wrong.

But there is a reason they were "underground" comics that had to print their own material. Publishers simply weren't interested in their work.

They didn't have an obligation to publish it.

9nZo3zK.gif

People love to come up with these new labels for things that are not new for some reason.

I guess it helps push the news. "Cancel Culture"?

Whats that? Click.

As an example. I was a documentary on an underground comic book writer that got himself into trouble over his comics. Now I will agree that the part where the government got involved was wrong.

But there is a reason they were "underground" comics that had to print their own material. Publishers simply weren't interested in their work.

They didn't have an obligation to publish it.
I think this is new in that it has clearly accelerated. Either we believe in true freedom of expression, unencumbered, or we do not.

Freedom of speech and expression is the most LIBERAL of ALL our values.

It's ILLIBERAL to distort it.

Replying is NOT distorting it.
Yes, I'll say it again: The problem is the punishment and intimidation.

We just have two different definitions of freedom of expression.

Forum List

Back