Only one remaining Medal of Honor recipient of WWII

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Woody Williams, of West Virginia, is the last remaining MoH recipient left, after the recent death of Charles H. Coolidge.

Coolidge was the only surviving member of the ETO, while Williams was awarded his medal for his bravery on Iwo Jima.

Williams' next and final campaign was at the Battle of Iwo Jima, where he distinguished himself with actions "above and beyond the call of duty" – for which he would be awarded the Medal of Honor. On February 21, 1945, he landed on the beach with the 1st Battalion, 21st Marines. Williams, by then a corporal, distinguished himself two days later when American tanks, trying to open a lane for infantry, encountered a network of reinforced concrete pillboxes.[5] Pinned down by machine gun fire, his company commander asked one of his men to attach a high explosive charge to a pole and with the support of Williams and his flamethrower and several Marine riflemen, shove the improvised weapon into an opening in the enemy's pillbox. As they fought their way to the pillbox, all of the men, except Williams, became casualties. Undeterred, Williams arrived at the first pillbox, shoved the flamethrower nozzle into the pillbox opening and fired the weapon, killing all of the soldiers inside. He then returned five times to his company area, refueled his weapon, and moved forward to destroy the remaining pillboxes.[3][8][5][6]

Harry Truman congratulates Hershel Williams on being awarded the Medal of Honor, October 5, 1945

Covered by only four riflemen, he fought for four hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flame throwers. He returned to the front, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out one position after another.[5] At one point, a wisp of smoke alerted him to the air vent of a Japanese bunker, and he approached close enough to put the nozzle of his flamethrower through the hole, killing the occupants.[6] On another occasion, he was charged by enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and he killed them with a burst of flame from his weapon.[8][5] Williams has said that much of the action "is just a blank. I have no memory."[9]

These actions occurred on the same day that two flags were raised on Mount Suribachi, and Williams, about one thousand yards away from the volcano, was able to witness the event.[10][6] He fought through the remainder of the five-week-long battle even though he was wounded on March 6 in the leg by shrapnel, for which he was awarded the Purple Heart.[5]

"Among those who served on Iwo Jima uncommon valor was a common virtue"....Adm. Nimitz. The Medal of Honor was awarded to 22 Marines and 5 Navy Corpsmen for action on Iwo Jima. Marine Gy. Sgt. John Basilone was awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism on Guadalcanal and was killed in action on Iwo Jima.

Everybody knew that Iwo Jima was fortified by the Japanese for the better part of half a century and every square inch was targeted by mortar fire or bunker based machine guns. Why send Marines to take the smelly hunk of fortified real estate when Iwo Jima could have been bypassed and left to starve? The argument about a base for crippled B-29's sounds good but it wasn't in the original plan. Crippled B-29's were doing fine diverting to China instead of trying to find a tiny dot in the vast Pacific. The theory is that Marines weren't expected to be able to take the island. The Navy didn't even shell the island for the time requested by the Marines. Marines were supposed to take a reasonable number of casualties and withdraw. Nobody thought they would lose 6,000 in a month of uncommon valor. It's said that FDR gasped when he read the casualty figures. The only theory that makes sense is that Marines were sacrificed trying to take a Japanese home island to justify the use of the Atomic Bomb five months later.

Last edited:
..... It's said that FDR gasped when he read the casualty figures. ......

That scumbag didn't care about the lives of American servicemen. If he gasped, it was belching in between mouthfuls of Champaign and caviar.

The Greatest Generation.

You know, I often wondered what distinguished these amazing men and women of that generation from successive generations, and I wouldn't say that they were necessarily "better", although that is a subjective opinion.

But what I will say is they were undoubtedly tougher, way, way tougher than anything you'll find today. Much of that is they grew up during the Great Depression, they knew what hard, physical labor was, they knew what it was like to do without, and they had parents and grandparents, many of them recent immigrants, who bought in on the American Dream and some were able to realize it, while others still believed and continuing working towards it. They were imbued with a sense of patriotism for this country from their parents, and for those whose families had been here many generations, that patriotism was already there.

But I think what allowed some of these men and women to serve their country and fight through years of hellish, deadly, up close and personal combat (those in the Navy and Air Forces were certainly not immune from danger, not by a long shot) and come home and raise their families and move forward with their lives, burying their scars and trauma, is that they all knew they were fighting for all the right reasons.

Germany and Japan were ruthless and murderous and there was no gray area, we were fighting for all the right reasons, plus we had the added bonus of actually being attacked by one of these, and took the rare position of self defense. But everyone in WWII knew that the cause was just.

Since this wars end, that has rarely, if ever, been the case in our wars. And that leaves people with a sense of guilt that can trigger PTSD and have a terrible effect on their lives.

The Greatest Generation.

Why, because they were told to go fight something worth fighting, rather than to go fight for cheaper oil?

Because they didn't whine and cry about every order given. They did things you aren't capable of kid.

Did they not? I bet they did. I bet the whined and cried and didn't want to do service.

12,000 Americans refused to fight as conscientious objectors. They got paid nothing and were essentially slaves.

70,000 people refused to fight in total.

But I guess when you're further in time from them, you can paint your own picture.

The Greatest Generation.

Why, because they were told to go fight something worth fighting, rather than to go fight for cheaper oil?
The Pacific War was about oil and who controlled it. The theory is that the FDR administration issued an oil embargo against Japan to goad them into war.

Perhaps it was. The difference being that it was another country trying to control it. The Iraq War 2003 was all about the US fighting for it, and therefore those Americans fighting were more like a corporate army, rather than a national army. In WW2 the US was attacked and it was attacked by a very aggressive country which had taken over a lot of the Far East.

There were 16 year olds lying about their age so they could go fight for America. No one TOLD THEM to do that. Trying to take a crap on America again I see.

That you see everything in such a manner seems to be part of the problem.

Maybe you could think that I might have asked this question for a different reason. Mostly because I did ask this question for a different reason. Why don't you think about that?

Kids of the so-called "greatest generation" weren't any tougher than the kids who fought in Korea or Vietnam or Iraq. Marines were better trained and motivated but all the Services had the support of the folks at home until they didn't have the support of the folks back home and the Military became victims to pity instead of heroes.

Forum List

Back