Online ad immunity

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
If online popup ads and other advertising seems to be getting more intrusive, it may be the result of advertiser desperation. “Industry data clearly indicates that online advertising is increasingly ignored—or actively resisted—by the public at large,” said Tim Hwang in “Ad Nauseam” article, Nov. 2020 issue of Harper’s Magazine.

“Second, the attention ads do receive is increasingly garbage—the product of a massive, fraudulent economy of click farms designed to extract money from advertisers,” he added.

While Hwang predicts this bubble will burst, he doesn’t speculate on what will follow. Will we face more pay walls if advertising revenue takes a nosedive? Will editorial quality on news sites decline when there is even less money to hire competent journalists?

I agree. Ads seem to be even more prevalent on YouTube than just a month or two ago. We need more people circulating capital under our form of Capitalism so the law of large numbers can pick up the slack.

When is the last time you bought something that wasn't a new product due to advertising?

Personally, I can't remember the last time.

uBlock Origin takes about 5 seconds to download and it blocks all ads. It even stops those annoying Youtube ads that cut in during your video.

When is the last time you bought something that wasn't a new product due to advertising?

Personally, I can't remember the last time.
The article is about online ads, not all advertising. In any case, every week I buy items in the grocery store for which I have never seen an ad. When I buy shoes, I go to a shoe store and look for comfortable shoes without laces. I never base that decision on an ad.

Will editorial quality on news sites decline when there is even less money to hire competent journalists?

They would need a monumentally deep drill to go any lower.

The center of the earth is only so far away.

Forum List

Back