One Way Trip to Mars...Would You Go?

Nutz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2014
So the finalists have been named for a One-Way Trip to Mars. Is it suicide...heroic...stupid...daring? Mars One

I would do it...only if I had a guarantee that I would be able to copulate with a female in space.

But seriously, are these guys heroes or wanna be reality stars?

• Banned
I would go, I had also applied. If the survival chances were 0.01% I'd go (that's pretty much what they are if not actually worse).
I say I would go now...but I would chicken out in the end...I am sure. It is suicide.

A related fantasy question - knowing that you would never see your home planet again, would you go with aliens, a la Cocoon?

Watched the old movie, Starman a couple of days ago. Would you help an alien get back to his ship? Would you take him in and protect him?

I hope I would.

• Banned
A related fantasy question - knowing that you would never see your home planet again, would you go with aliens, a la Cocoon?

Watched the old movie, Starman a couple of days ago. Would you help an alien get back to his ship? Would you take him in and protect him?

I hope I would.
My question isn't fantasy, it is reality. As for the Cocoon scenario, no questions asked, I am in.
I don't remember Starman...but he would be an illegal alien, so I wouldn't help him.

So the finalists have been named for a One-Way Trip to Mars. Is it suicide...heroic...stupid...daring? Mars One

I would do it...only if I had a guarantee that I would be able to copulate with a female in space.

But seriously, are these guys heroes or wanna be reality stars?

No- but I can understand why there are those who would be willing to go.

Aw, Starman was cool too.

Only in that one, he came here, not the other way around. Then used Jeff Bridges' body to impregnate Indiana Jones' girlfriend...
Starman 1984 - IMDb

I wouldn't throw my life away for a stupid mission that robots should do.
If I were diagnosed with a terminal disease and knew my time were limited...I would sign up in a second. Even if I had cancer that could be beat...I would still do it.

I watched it (again) a couple of years ago, with my daughter. It's worth a watch. I love sci fi, and I love 80s movies too...

As a young man in America, definitely too much to do and live for...BUT as someone with less than 20 to go, it sure would be a hell of a way to have a send off party.... If I were alone, I'd go in a minute!

Last edited:
I watched it (again) a couple of years ago, with my daughter. It's worth a watch. I love sci fi, and I love 80s movies too...
80's movies were just fun. Maybe too sexual...but fun movies. (Sci-Fi is ALWAYS good!)

Just watched Interstellar the other day...mediocre movie, but interesting....they ruined it with shitty actors.

I wonder if Matthew would go.

See the science for yourself or get the data and study it.

Wow that's weird, I've never even heard of Interstellar before. Now I have something to watch. I'm not a huge fan of Matthew McConnaghy...good grief, he's so oily looking all the time, I want to blot him with a pillow or something. And put some talcum in his hair...

Mars? Why? Can't go to a ballgame, have a catch with my kid, grill steaks on a spring Saturday evening. No getting up in the morning and enjoying the chill of the first frost or the joys of tending my vineyard. The bass fishing sucks.
I won't deny the pleasures of a sterile environment to them that are interested. Y'all go right ahead.
In fact, I nominate Matthew, Dottie, Dainty, Ravir, & thanatroll, to go on the first ship up as the reps from USMB.

Last edited:
Wow that's weird, I've never even heard of Interstellar before. Now I have something to watch.
Came out not too long ago. Matthew McConnehey(sp) Worst choice for the main character ever. If you are a sci-fi fan, I would recommend it.

Forum List

Back