One of the reasons for high unemployment numbers

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
While most discussions assume that the long time that people are unemployed shows the need for longer benefits, there is another possibility: the unprecedented benefits are the cause, not the cure, for the current long term unemployment. The more you subsidize something, the more you get of it. In this case, people only get these unemployment benefits as long as they are unemployed. It is well known that most of the unemployed wait until their benefits are about to run out before they take a job. About a third of workers receiving unemployment insurance find work right after their benefits run out. This happens whether unemployment is high or low.

FOXNews.com - The Real Reason for Our High Unemployment Numbers

Does this mean the unemployed are turning down jobs?

Only true for a small percentage. Unemployment pays squat compared to what you can get for working, and folks will always go for the biggest check they can get.

OTOH, unemployment is a huge cost for the business owner, and each marginal employee comes with a huge premium cost. In some places, as much as 1000 per month.

And I thought it was because Republicans screwed up the economy by deregulating Wall Street and encouraging American jobs get moved to overseas so CEO's can make a fast "big" buck.

Hmmm, guess I was wrong. Turns out it's the middle class accepting unemployment insurance. They could live on the street. That would save us a ton of money.

And I thought it was because Republicans screwed up the economy by deregulating Wall Street and encouraging American jobs get moved to overseas so CEO's can make a fast "big" buck.

Hmmm, guess I was wrong. Turns out it's the middle class accepting unemployment insurance. They could live on the street. That would save us a ton of money.

1.5 / 10 on the troll meter. You woulda scored higher, but you didn't mention anything about Republican scientists.

While most discussions assume that the long time that people are unemployed shows the need for longer benefits, there is another possibility: the unprecedented benefits are the cause, not the cure, for the current long term unemployment. The more you subsidize something, the more you get of it. In this case, people only get these unemployment benefits as long as they are unemployed. It is well known that most of the unemployed wait until their benefits are about to run out before they take a job. About a third of workers receiving unemployment insurance find work right after their benefits run out. This happens whether unemployment is high or low.

I'm sure its true for a tiny percentage, but unemployment doesn't pay that much per week.

But I do know a guy on my block that collected the full 99 weeks and never looked seriously for work.

I'm sure its true for a tiny percentage, but unemployment doesn't pay that much per week.

But I do know a guy on my block that collected the full 99 weeks and never looked seriously for work.

My friend is on unemployment - and he can only get 26 weeks of benefits. I guess that's a NY thing though.

And if we kicked all those out that acted like your neighbor, the unemployment numbers would be......lower. Kinda proves the point, no?

Although I don't have any idea how the government would be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

IMO going for 99 weeks of benefits on the taxpayers dime is getting a bit freakin' much. I would agree with having longer than the 26 weeks it used to be because of the state of the economy, but nearly 4 times as long is going too far. It's almost like the easy credit bubble...the longer we keep putting it off, the worse the pain is going to be when the day of reckoning comes.

My friend is on unemployment - and he can only get 26 weeks of benefits. I guess that's a NY thing though.

No idea about how it is in other states, but NY allows 99 weeks.

https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do

No idea about how it is in other states, but NY allows 99 weeks.

https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do

I should tell my friend then. I guess this is new.

Thanks, btw.

This is a tough one. I'm on half-time layoff right now and collecting a partial unemplyment benefit myself. This has been going on since January. So I technically count as part of the "unemployed". And I'm looking for another job, but when I have a bird in the hand that will go back full time within the next month or so I'm not willing to take the job making less than half the money I make at my current position. I'll just go back full time when I'm called back. If I gt laid off permanently, I'd take some time to try to find the best position possible of course. For people who have been out of work a year, I can't see why they would want to sit at home anymore if they can find anything that pays more than their unemployment benefits. For anybody who thinks unemployment is a gravy train, I assure you it is not. It's enough to get by and that's about it.

Does this mean the unemployed are turning down jobs?

Bingo.

Nice to see you have eyes and the ability to understand the folly of Liberal policies.

Course you have to be unemployed in the first place but many of them aren't finding work because it's easier just to suck off the tit.

So I get it now.....

We don't have a high unemployment rate...we just have lazy people

Depending on when job ended, you can get extensions beyond 26 weeks. I am on extension myself now, but I am going to school full time.

Nice try but when my job went to India, I did not collect unemployment as I wasn't looking seriously for a job. I have sense but of course I can no longer collect that unemployment. My brother in law finally started his own business after being unemployed for many years. He didn't collect one dime of unemployment. I know many, many young people today that are looking for work that are not collecting unemployment and never have. This is just one more excuse from our government to blame the unemployment problems on the people rather than our regulations that allow corporations to send our jobs overseas and bring in immigrants to take the jobs that are left here.

Nice try but when my job went to India, I did not collect unemployment as I wasn't looking seriously for a job. I have sense but of course I can no longer collect that unemployment. My brother in law finally started his own business after being unemployed for many years. He didn't collect one dime of unemployment. I know many, many young people today that are looking for work that are not collecting unemployment and never have. This is just one more excuse from our government to blame the unemployment problems on the people rather than our regulations that allow corporations to send our jobs overseas and bring in immigrants to take the jobs that are left here.

What does that have to do with others collecting for nearly 2 years?

1.5 / 10 on the troll meter. You woulda scored higher, but you didn't mention anything about Republican scientists.

Oxymoron

Oxymoron

Too late. Judges scores are final.

New Topics

Forum List

Back