One messed up cat!

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
I have a friend who has an ongoing problem with his cat, Fred. We've all heard of cats marking the house by urinating, which is a horrendous problem. But this cat...shits. Everywhere but in his cat box. And it's usually very loose...i.e. diarhhea.

The cat shits on the guy's bed. On his couch. On his clothes. Even got up on top of the refrigerator once and shit down the side of it. Every day, it's not just a once in a while thing. I don't think most people would put up with this, but my friend cannot bring himself to put the cat down or give him away.

The cat pees in his cat box just fine, he does not pee around the house, only poop. There is one other cat in the house, and that cat uses the cat box and doesn't have a problem.

My friend has tried everything...been to the vet many times. Tried vitamin B shots. Different cat litters, different foods. Different boxes. Putting the boxes in different places. The cat quit doing it once for almost a year and a half, but now it has started up again.

Anyone had any experience with anything like this? To me it's obviously some kind of physical problem, but why can't the freaking vets figure it out?

Last edited:
I would first want to know what your friend is feeding the cat. If he has loose stools so often, there is something wrong. He is not pooing everywhere because he feels like it, its because he can't hold on long enough to get to his litter box. Its like a human suffering the same problem you don't always make it to the loo on time.

He needs to be on a different diet. Its possible he is allergic to the food he is being fed, so tell your friend to overhaul his pets diet and take it from there.

It appears your friend has no understanding of cats. He needs to address the problem not stick a needle in it's ass.

Politico, my friend is the kind of person who volunteers to pet cats at the local shelters. He understands cats perfectly well, his other cat has no problems. He has endured this situation where most people would have gotten rid of the cat. And as far as the needle in its ass, that was on the advice of his veterinarian. Your nasty response is totally uncalled for.

Last edited:
Noomi, he is currently feeding the cat Science Diet. It was prescribed by his vet for his other cat, who has kidney issues. But as I said, he has tried other foods, including the very finest, with no results.

And yes, if he has loose stools so often there is something wrong. What's a person to do when they have been to the vet many times and the vet can't solve the problem? That's why I'm reaching out, trying to find someone who may have had a similar situation and what the solution was.

I told him that a lot of people I know don't have a very high opinion of Science Diet and that he might consider some other food for that particular cat. But remember...he has already tried many foods and they made no difference.

When my Doberman was a puppy she had diarhhea frequently. The vet was at a loss so we just put up with it, treated the symptoms with Imodiuim AD, fed her pumpkin, that sort of thing. When she was going on a year old the vet says this one tooth is bad and it had to come out. The day that tooth was pulled was the end of that dog's diarhhea. I told the vet, pain and infection from that tooth must have been causing the diarhhea! They didn't think so, said that would be very rare. But it seemed pretty evident to me, the tooth was gone, the diarhhea stopped abruptly! That really pissed me off, I depend on my vet to notice things like that. Anyway, I'm thinking there must be an answer to this cat's problem...we just have to figure out what it is, damn it!

Last edited:
Oh, and Noomi, he starts making a kind of low howling noise sometimes when he has to go. That indicates pain to me. My friend then takes him to the cat box, but he won't want to go. Then he goes off somewhere else and poops. Remember, the cat does faithfully use the litter box for urinating, though.

Maybe my friend should consult another vet. But I suggested doing some research first, how does he know the next vet will know any more than his current vet? He needs answers!

My friend said that every day he is washing blankets with load of bleach, and shampooing his carpets frequently. I am a great animal lover, but I don't know if I could put up with that. It's one thing that my two minpins aren't totally housebroken and poop on my area rugs, but I can't imagine having cat diarhhea on my bed...frequently. He deserves a lot of credit for enduring this.

Oh, and Noomi, he starts making a kind of low howling noise sometimes when he has to go. That indicates pain to me. My friend then takes him to the cat box, but he won't want to go. Then he goes off somewhere else and poops. Remember, the cat does faithfully use the litter box for urinating, though.

Maybe my friend should consult another vet. But I suggested doing some research first, how does he know the next vet will know any more than his current vet? He needs answers!

My friend said that every day he is washing blankets with load of bleach, and shampooing his carpets frequently. I am a great animal lover, but I don't know if I could put up with that. It's one thing that my two minpins aren't totally housebroken and poop on my area rugs, but I can't imagine having cat diarhhea on my bed...frequently. He deserves a lot of credit for enduring this.

While you often wouldn't think it, chronic diarrhea can cause a kitty to strain to pass it. A cat having to strain to pass waste has difficulty gripping in the litter box. They often go other places where they can keep themselves from slipping. The first thing I would try would be to get a large, low sided litter box and use puppy pads in it instead of kitty litter. Dump a bit of the next mess he cleans up into the box. Clean any place kitty has gone before with a good enzyme cleaner.
To address the diarrhea, I would start with hairball medicine and probiotics. Sometimes a hairball low in the digestive tract can cause a partial blockage and only liquid fecal matter can get around it. If you don't have a good hairball remedy, use plain vaseline. Kitty won't love it, but it works better than anything else. Probiotics to balance the bacteria in the gut and I'd switch to a high fiber, lower fat food. Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul Senior would be my pick.
Good luck to your friend and bless him for hanging with it instead of giving up on the kitty. But for now, keep kitty out of the bedroom :)

Thank you, Vel, all good advice. I just e-mailed your exact words to my friend. The puppy pads in a large cat box sounds like a good idea. They had thought of putting a towel or something in the litter box, since he seems to prefer to go on fabrics, but they didn't actually try that. Puppy pads would obviously be better since they're disposable!

I hope he tries all of your suggestions! Are probiotics the same thing as digestive enzymes? I guess we can research that.

Why don't vets help more, I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Have you tried and over sized litter box?
I suggest one made of wood
2'-1/2"x 2'-1/2" x 6"
No cover the sides will be made up with 2x6 boards
the bottom with 1/2 plywood and a plastic sheet as a liner for cleaning

Oh, and Noomi, he starts making a kind of low howling noise sometimes when he has to go. That indicates pain to me.[...]
Therein lies the tale.

That cat has a painful condition related to its bowel movements and he is trying to call attention to it.

Go to a different vet!

Thank you, Vel, all good advice. I just e-mailed your exact words to my friend. The puppy pads in a large cat box sounds like a good idea. They had thought of putting a towel or something in the litter box, since he seems to prefer to go on fabrics, but they didn't actually try that. Puppy pads would obviously be better since they're disposable!

I hope he tries all of your suggestions! Are probiotics the same thing as digestive enzymes? I guess we can research that.

Why don't vets help more, I just don't get it.

Yes they are. I hope he feels better soon.

2'-1/2"x 2'-1/2" x 6"

LOL

i use a HUGE concrete trough.... and a 45 gl garbage bag as the liner....

Noomi, he is currently feeding the cat Science Diet. It was prescribed by his vet for his other cat, who has kidney issues. But as I said, he has tried other foods, including the very finest, with no results.

And yes, if he has loose stools so often there is something wrong. What's a person to do when they have been to the vet many times and the vet can't solve the problem? That's why I'm reaching out, trying to find someone who may have had a similar situation and what the solution was.

I told him that a lot of people I know don't have a very high opinion of Science Diet and that he might consider some other food for that particular cat. But remember...he has already tried many foods and they made no difference.

When my Doberman was a puppy she had diarhhea frequently. The vet was at a loss so we just put up with it, treated the symptoms with Imodiuim AD, fed her pumpkin, that sort of thing. When she was going on a year old the vet says this one tooth is bad and it had to come out. The day that tooth was pulled was the end of that dog's diarhhea. I told the vet, pain and infection from that tooth must have been causing the diarhhea! They didn't think so, said that would be very rare. But it seemed pretty evident to me, the tooth was gone, the diarhhea stopped abruptly! That really pissed me off, I depend on my vet to notice things like that. Anyway, I'm thinking there must be an answer to this cat's problem...we just have to figure out what it is, damn it!

Get him off Science Diet. It doesn't matter the vet says, that shit is bad. I used to volunteer at the local RSPCA years ago and the cats and dogs were fed that - they never ate it, and it caused them all manner of stomach problems. Yet it was all they were permitted to eat.

Make sure the cat is only being given water to drink, and keep him on dry food (just plain) for a week or so and see if that hardens his stools. If not, an x ray may be required to find out what is going on.

He needs a new vet. One who will keep the kitty in until he finds out what is wrong. It would be good for him to see the cat in action - how much it needs to poo and the sounds it makes when it does. Only then will the vet have a good idea as to what is wrong.
The current vet isn't doing much - because any cat who has frequent runny stools should be treated as a serious case - the cat may also be dehydrated because he keeps pooing.

2'-1/2"x 2'-1/2" x 6"

LOL

i use a HUGE concrete trough.... and a 45 gl garbage bag as the liner....

The wood gives them something to scratch on

There is something wrong with the cat. When cat's refuse to use a litter box it's because they are associating the pain with the box and trying to find someplace that will take the pain away. If the vet hasn't figured out what it is, the cat needs more testing to find out what's going on inside his body since he can't tell you where he's hurting. Has the cat had a fecal test to see if there is blood in his BMs?

Does he eat the dry science diet or the canned? If it's canned, you might try adding a little psysillium to his food for the loose bowels.

Forum List

Back