Zone1 One can't fully understand God's words without understanding that he works with his creations through AGES

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
For example, there was the time "before the ages". The first age is (I believe) the creation of the world before mankind (Adam & Eve). Then there is the age of mankind and their fall through defying God which ended with the flood. Then there is the age beginning with the aftermath of the flood up until the death of Christ. The age after that is the one we're in now, which is, Jesus' sacrifice on the cross until his second coming. I readily admit to not fully understanding all of it but it is clear that there are different ages, all of which are temporary. Thereafter we will live with God on a new Earth FOREVER.

THE DISCUSSION OF “AGES” IN THE BIBLE:

1 Corinthians 3:18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise.

Luke 18:30 ESV: Who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.

1 Corinthians 2:7 But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory.

Ephesians 1:21Far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.

Ephesians 2:7 ESV / 2 So that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 1:9 Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Hebrews 6:5 ESV And have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Mark 10:30 Who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.

Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,

Titus 1:2 ESV In hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began

Hebrews 9:26 ESV For then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Luke 20:34 ESV

34 Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage.

For example, there was the time "before the ages". The first age is (I believe) the creation of the world before mankind (Adam & Eve). Then there is the age of mankind and their fall through defying God which ended with the flood. Then there is the age beginning with the aftermath of the flood up until the death of Christ. The age after that is the one we're in now, which is, Jesus' sacrifice on the cross until his second coming. I readily admit to not fully understanding all of it but it is clear that there are different ages, all of which are temporary. Thereafter we will live with God on a new Earth FOREVER.
Man's fall through defying God ended with the flood? Christians today would tell you that man is still a fallen creature.

As to some of the passages you selected, certainly more enlightening than understanding that the Israelites identified more than one age is to understand what those ages were.

Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise (1 Cor 3:18).​
[W]ho gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father (Gal 1:4).​
[F]or then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself (Heb 9:26).​
And Jesus said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage (Lk 20:34).​

An obvious realization about these passages should be that Israelites wrote them. The converted Jews were still Israel, still attending temple and still abiding Moses, as Jesus had commanded them. By now, even though their most beloved prophet had been corrupted, forsaking Moses would be difficult nonetheless. Forsaking their customs, their temple, their way of life, their entire economy, was a bitter pill to swallow. Hence their grumbling about the Gentiles having an easier time with their faith in Christ than they did (Rom 11:7-11).

They were writing in their own age. The temple age. The Jewish Age. The Mosaic Age.

The Kingdom Age, although planted in the ground, had not yet bloomed (Lk 21:29-33). When summer would come, the Kingdom Age would bloom; it would come in power (Mk 9:1).

So, from this historical context, we should know what the age to come was.

So that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:7).​

[A]nd have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come (Heb 6:5).​

The apostles' generation was that 40-year transitionary period between Christ's dying on the cross and his coming in judgment. The Jewish Age was slated for incineration. The Kingdom Age was just beginning to sprout. In that time period, the Israelites sometimes spoke of the two ages in one breath, as you posted. The age they were living in and the Christian Age which would soon triumph.

[F]ar above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come (Eph 1:21).​

"[W]ho will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life" (Mk 10:30).​

"[W]ho will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.” (Lk 18:30)​

The age to come has come.

• Banned
Man's fall through defying God ended with the flood? Christians today would tell you that man is still a fallen creature.

As to some of the passages you selected, certainly more enlightening than understanding that the Israelites identified more than one age is to understand what those ages were.

Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise (1 Cor 3:18).​
[W]ho gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father (Gal 1:4).​
[F]or then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself (Heb 9:26).​
And Jesus said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage (Lk 20:34).​

An obvious realization about these passages should be that Israelites wrote them. The converted Jews were still Israel, still attending temple and still abiding Moses, as Jesus had commanded them. By now, even though their most beloved prophet had been corrupted, forsaking Moses would be difficult nonetheless. Forsaking their customs, their temple, their way of life, their entire economy, was a bitter pill to swallow. Hence their grumbling about the Gentiles having an easier time with their faith in Christ than they did (Rom 11:7-11).

They were writing in their own age. The temple age. The Jewish Age. The Mosaic Age.

The Kingdom Age, although planted in the ground, had not yet bloomed (Lk 21:29-33). When summer would come, the Kingdom Age would bloom; it would come in power (Mk 9:1).

So, from this historical context, we should know what the age to come was.

So that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:7).​

[A]nd have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come (Heb 6:5).​

The apostles' generation was that 40-year transitionary period between Christ's dying on the cross and his coming in judgment. The Jewish Age was slated for incineration. The Kingdom Age was just beginning to sprout. In that time period, the Israelites sometimes spoke of the two ages in one breath, as you posted. The age they were living in and the Christian Age which would soon triumph.

[F]ar above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come (Eph 1:21).​

"[W]ho will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life" (Mk 10:30).​

"[W]ho will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.” (Lk 18:30)​

The age to come has come.

Thank you.

You must be kidding.

Paul proclaimed citizenship in the kingdom for himself and his contemporaries (Col 1:13). The letter to the Hebrews exhorts believers to be grateful for the kingdom they had received (Heb 12:28). And the Revelator declared himself a partner in the kingdom with his brethren (Rv 1:9).

Paul told the Philippians that his own former self—circumcised, an Israelite, a Hebrew, a law-abiding Pharisee who persecuted Christians—was dead, those years lost as he symbolically or informally renounced his citizenship in that legalistic temple culture. Converted to the faith, he placed his citizenship in the new heaven and exhorted the Philippians likewise (3:4-20).

When reasoning with a crowd of onlookers, Jesus told them that because he cast out demons in the name of God and not Beelzebul, the kingdom of God had come upon them (Lk 11:19-20). Yes, upon them, that crowd of onlookers.

The kingdom had also come within Caiaphas’ grasp. Jesus informed him and the Sanhedrin, or the religious council, “But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven” (Mt 26:64). From now on, he apprised the high priest. Jesus declared the presence of the kingdom then and there to a flesh-and-blood human being.

Shall I go on?

Or maybe now it's your turn. Show us where the kingdom comes generations removed from the time of its promise.

You must be kidding.

Paul proclaimed citizenship in the kingdom for himself and his contemporaries (Col 1:13). The letter to the Hebrews exhorts believers to be grateful for the kingdom they had received (Heb 12:28). And the Revelator declared himself a partner in the kingdom with his brethren (Rv 1:9).

Paul told the Philippians that his own former self—circumcised, an Israelite, a Hebrew, a law-abiding Pharisee who persecuted Christians—was dead, those years lost as he symbolically or informally renounced his citizenship in that legalistic temple culture. Converted to the faith, he placed his citizenship in the new heaven and exhorted the Philippians likewise (3:4-20).

When reasoning with a crowd of onlookers, Jesus told them that because he cast out demons in the name of God and not Beelzebul, the kingdom of God had come upon them (Lk 11:19-20). Yes, upon them, that crowd of onlookers.

The kingdom had also come within Caiaphas’ grasp. Jesus informed him and the Sanhedrin, or the religious council, “But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven” (Mt 26:64). From now on, he apprised the high priest. Jesus declared the presence of the kingdom then and there to a flesh-and-blood human being.

Shall I go on?

Or maybe now it's your turn. Show us where the kingdom comes generations removed from the time of its promise.
What you have described in the promise of the kingdom, not the reality.

I grew up factually poor, but I never felt poor, even when my pockets were empty as an adult. I knew that I would be well off financially in the future, and I lived in my mind in that future. Today I am comfortably well off and feel no different than I have all my life as I knew I was destined for wealth. It is for this reason that I have never had an anxious moment in my life regarding financial security.

I have no anxiety regarding the Kingdom either and I live my life as if I were contributing to it now, even though I know it is in the future.

Forum List

Back