On the road

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
Midwestern U.S.
I have this fantasy about finding America by riding the rail coast to coast in the snow, and finding America. On rail or by thumb.

Last edited:
It's been done...

41Lo6SkZDAL._SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wouldn't hitchhike (too many sick fucks out there), but I love being on the road.

Train travel isn't as inexpensive as it used to be, especially if you get yourself a sleeper car. Then again, it's probably going to be one of those "once in a lifetime" moments which would warrant the investment. A round trip ticket from Jacksonville, Florida to Seattle is about $2,400. Doing it piece-meal would likely be more expensive.

I say do it. Just make sure you take a camera...

I was a vagrant coast/coast as a teen. The USA in terms of diverse geography alone, is great. The varied cultures following suit. ~S~

Why not rent an RV and take a buddy along to help with the driving and to share the expereience with..plus half the dough to rent it along with the mileage? If you see a small hamlet area, you can always stop and spend the night there. I always wanted to do that too, but never got around to doing it. Plus I was always at work.

I have this fantasy about finding America by riding the rail coast to coast in the snow, and finding America. On rail or by thumb.
Just make sure to avoid the blue cities and states that have either gone bankrupt or allow Burning, Looting and Murder. We decided one day to go see our older son graduate from Basic Training in Chicago, and not only did it cost a fortune in tolls just to drive there, but coming in from the southside, we kept our windows up and never slowed down under 60. Go to the cities and states run by Republicans, at least most of the people there are happy and wont try to pilfer what you bring with you.....

The only way I do the RV thing is with an offroad vehicle in tow.
Be it a Jeep or a Polaris Razor or since I already have a Polaris General one of those.
It'd be cool to sleep comfortably and still be able to get out in the boonies.
1606679433001.png

Be it a Jeep or a Polaris Razor or since I already have a Polaris General one of those.
View attachment 423067
That looks to be somewhere around Tucson. I've done a lot of offroading in AZ and I lived in Tucson for a little while.

View attachment 423067
That looks to be somewhere around Tucson. I've done a lot of offroading in AZ and I lived in Tucson for a little while.

I did the Vegas to Southern California trip on the old wagon train trail in my FJ.
Took around three days. Had to bring extra gas and all that.
It was cool as hell driving on the actual trail that the settlers used going from spring to spring.
I'll never forget taking a dump at one spot near one of the springs and looking around and noticing all the holes in the stone where the indians ground corn.

Better do it while you can, because America is about to be over with as far as freely going about ones business in America without issue. It'll last for a little while longer, but it will begin to collapse rapidly now.

Better do it while you can, because America is about to be over with as far as freely going about ones business in America without issue. It'll last for a little while longer, but it will begin to collapse rapidly now.

Wrong thread.

Forum List

Back