older terrier mix...yelping in pain

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
we have acres and friendly neighbors...my pack of three dogs spend time outside esp if we are going out for a couple of hours..which we did last night....driving up the drive way i knew something was wrong...ernest t. was not in the drive way...he is always the first one to run out to greet us...i told hubby something was wrong....when i hit the porch i called him and he was there suddenly but yelping in pain..this morning he is still hurting....now he is not a tough terrier...he is a big wimp terrier...but he does play hard with the bigger dogs...jumping in the air so he can attack their heads...stupid shit like that...

if we move our hand down his side he will yelp...and snap..but no visible reason ..well he snaps at hubby...i couldnt feel any swelling or easy to find reason...i think he has pulled a muscle...playing with the big dogs...or he got into a fight with tater head the 3 legged cat...neither has a back down gear

any suggestions? i am letting him laz about...

1632566978413.png

e.t on the left..semba with two eyes on the right

all three for size compare and he is panting more than needed...its cold here...

1632567109525.png

alright hubby says its a 'wuv' an internal parasite that squirrels have....i have a 3 oclock appt with boone vet...to have him checked out and the wound cleaned out....after putting in a couple of hours doing firewood....what a stellar day

i have a vet in boone i trust...he is not an emergency clinic but will work in urgent care needs...of course the fee is a little higher...i just want him seen and taken care of...he is 20 lbs of hell on paws

he is moving a bit more..without crying out...sitting down on one of the dog beds...went out on the porch but not down the steps...hubby wants to crate him ...his no escape halter might rub him wrong...on the up side the vet is on this side of boone..i bet hubby wont be going thru wendys drive thru for ernest t. like his does when his semba has to go to the vet...gets double burger

by the size of the bite...most likely is the next door mastiff/dane mix who is gentle for the most part...but hangs with a beagle puppy...i can see ernest t. going down the driveway after the puppy and the mastiff/dane mix defending the puppy....no one knows...i will accuse not

anyones dog without total proof as we have coyotes too....i dont know that he could escape a coyote without this pack....no one else is wounded

both packs seem to stay at their homes...ernest t. has rested all night...seems to be recovering....if not he goes in for surgery on the wound

things i learned....a rabies booster can be given when the bite is from an unknown canine..and laser therapy is not pricey under 20 bucks

patient has rested....eaten...taken care of business (outside) and is back in his bed...vet warned the pain meds would make him a little loopy...i dont want to leave him alone ...i think he will just sleep the entire time...i need to be gone for a few hours

we have acres and friendly neighbors...my pack of three dogs spend time outside esp if we are going out for a couple of hours..which we did last night....driving up the drive way i knew something was wrong...ernest t. was not in the drive way...he is always the first one to run out to greet us...i told hubby something was wrong....when i hit the porch i called him and he was there suddenly but yelping in pain..this morning he is still hurting....now he is not a tough terrier...he is a big wimp terrier...but he does play hard with the bigger dogs...jumping in the air so he can attack their heads...stupid shit like that...

if we move our hand down his side he will yelp...and snap..but no visible reason ..well he snaps at hubby...i couldnt feel any swelling or easy to find reason...i think he has pulled a muscle...playing with the big dogs...or he got into a fight with tater head the 3 legged cat...neither has a back down gear

any suggestions? i am letting him laz about...

View attachment 543687

e.t on the left..semba with two eyes on the right

all three for size compare and he is panting more than needed...its cold here...

View attachment 543688
Front leg or back leg?

I know a dog can tear a cruciate in the knee ( back leg)

It usually happens very quickly. it happened to a dog i had years ago. She jumped up into the car and yelped ( screamed really . She was a Husky) and then she couldn't put weight on it.

The good thing is this can usually be diagnosed with an X ray and can be repaired surgically.

Forum List

Back