Old shower plumbing to new multi functional shower plumbing

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20210927_094616.jpg
20210927_150244.jpg

Used that new Milwaukee cordless press for all the connections that didn't require sweating.
Man that thing is worth every penny!

20210917_160700.jpg

• Banned
How powerful is that drill??
It will drill granite holes or into concrete. If you don't keep a firm grip it'll break your wrist lol.

I've owned every brand over the years. Ryobi is TRASH but all the others are pretty comparable so it comes to price and warranty for me. This brand is guaranteed for life.

• Banned
I would probably still own Dewalt but my jobsite trailer was broken into a few years back and everything was stolen so I switched back to Rigid

I draw schematics for all my piping. Copper is a HUGE waste of money.
For you of course it is.... you do lots of plumbing. Especially when you can get PEX to do the same job as copper.

I avoid plumbing as much as possible only doing it as a last resort. (Usually just water heater change out)

So I usually use heavy wall copper for the little jobs and do just fine...low tool overhead and the customer buys the materials anyway.

But how reliable are those connections over time versus copper and sweating?
In the decades I've been using it I've never had a leak. Some of the valves in that pic have have solder adapters sweat on but most now come threaded for pex adapters.
I also put temporary shut offs in my showers for a couple days during pressure testing so if something ever was to fail the customer can kill the water to the valves without having to shut off the whole house. Knock on wood, never been used but I'd rather have the insurance as most of my jobs are a long ways from where I actually live

In the decades I've been using it I've never had a leak. Some of the valves in that pic have have solder adapters sweat on but most now come threaded for pex adapters.
I also put temporary shut offs in my showers for a couple days during pressure testing so if something ever was to fail the customer can kill the water to the valves without having to shut off the whole house. Knock on wood, never been used but I'd rather have the insurance as most of my jobs are a long ways from where I actually live

I guess I've been a rental manager for too long ... the things tenants do to the units ... the more robust the build, the less intentional damage can be inflicted ... just a kitchen knife and say bye-bye to your PEX installation ... good quality copper or galvy needs a good sawing on to ruin't ...

... one stray nail ...

It will drill granite holes or into concrete. If you don't keep a firm grip it'll break your wrist lol.

I've owned every brand over the years. Ryobi is TRASH but all the others are pretty comparable so it comes to price and warranty for me. This brand is guaranteed for life.
C'mon man. Get a Hilti

I guess I've been a rental manager for too long ... the things tenants do to the units ... the more robust the build, the less intentional damage can be inflicted ... just a kitchen knife and say bye-bye to your PEX installation ... good quality copper or galvy needs a good sawing on to ruin't ...

... one stray nail ...
Actually PEX is pretty tough stuff...it will resist a knife just as well as any copper pipe will because of its ability to flex. It's also resistant to freezing temperatures much more so than copper ever dreamed about.

It's only drawback is that mice can't stop chewing on it...they love the stuff just as much as wire insulation if not more.

And it takes more talent than copper sweating. (Different tools too)
I was hesitant about it like you are...a long time ago. But today it is much better and cheaper than copper. (Have you priced copper lately?)

For 2" pipe runs you still need copper... PEX isn't exactly made for that. But for all the ¾&½&⅜ drops using PEX is more affordable and reliable for labor and materials than copper ever dreamed about.

And if it doesn't leak in the first few days of having pressure applied to it...it will last for decades until the mice find it.

You don't use the colored PEX for your hot and cold water...that threw me off for a minute.

But can you explain the various stubs? There appears to be a couple of extras there that I'm not sure what they are...I see the shower head and the drop for the wand but then there's the extra drops besides the mixing valve.

You don't use the colored PEX for your hot and cold water...that threw me off for a minute.

But can you explain the various stubs? There appears to be a couple of extras there that I'm not sure what they are...I see the shower head and the drop for the wand but then there's the extra drops besides the mixing valve.
Rain head, shower head, wand on a vertical pole. May add a body spray but not sure yet.

New Topics

Forum List

Back