Old Glory 'Offensive'?

I stopped watching the video when it got to freedom of speech. Anyone who goes to school realizes the minute you walk into that building, you lose most of your rights whether you want to or not. 4th amendment, 1st amendment, etc.

As for God Bless America:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOBf-39t64]YouTube - George Carlin -God bless America[/ame]

I stopped watching the video when it got to freedom of speech. Anyone who goes to school realizes the minute you walk into that building, you lose most of your rights whether you want to or not. 4th amendment, 1st amendment, etc.

Unless you are in California, like the student in this story are.

(a) School districts operating one or more high schools ... shall not make or enforce a rule subjecting a high school pupil to disciplinary sanctions solely on the basis of conduct that is speech or other communication that, when engaged in outside of the campus, is protected from governmental restriction by the First Amendment ....

(b) A pupil who is enrolled in a school at the time that the school has made or enforced a rule in violation of subdivision (a) may commence a civil action to obtain appropriate injunctive and declaratory relief as determined by the court. Upon motion, a court may award attorney’s fees to a prevailing plaintiff in a civil action pursuant to this section....

(d) This section does not prohibit the imposition of discipline for harassment, threats, or intimidation, unless constitutionally protected....

(f) The Legislature finds and declares that free speech rights are subject to reasonable time, place, and manner regulations.

California Education Code § 48950

Try not to confuse the the issue with misstatements of law.

(a) School districts operating one or more high schools ... shall not make or enforce a rule subjecting a high school pupil to disciplinary sanctions solely on the basis of conduct that is speech or other communication that, when engaged in outside of the campus, is protected from governmental restriction by the First Amendment ....

(b) A pupil who is enrolled in a school at the time that the school has made or enforced a rule in violation of subdivision (a) may commence a civil action to obtain appropriate injunctive and declaratory relief as determined by the court. Upon motion, a court may award attorney’s fees to a prevailing plaintiff in a civil action pursuant to this section....

(d) This section does not prohibit the imposition of discipline for harassment, threats, or intimidation, unless constitutionally protected....

(f) The Legislature finds and declares that free speech rights are subject to reasonable time, place, and manner regulations.

Try not to confuse a teacher's comments with the rules. The student wasn't punished.

Also, got a link for that?

Try not to confuse a teacher's comments with the rules. The student wasn't punished.

Getting sent to the principles office is not punishment? Did you attend high school, or even grade school, in this country? The school might not have imposed any discipline, but the teacher did. In fact, the teacher imposed the only discipline she could by sending her to the principles office. The only good thing about this is the principle did not compound the error of the teacher.

High school student?

Obviously the girl was coached before the interview. Any parent would do that. And I do agree with truth in that we rarely get to hear the school's side. But with that said, the super and the principal apologized so that suggests its not b.s. My guess is that union lawyers have advised the teacher not to. That ticks me off.

Getting sent to the principles office is not punishment? Did you attend high school, or even grade school, in this country? The school might not have imposed any discipline, but the teacher did. In fact, the teacher imposed the only discipline she could by sending her to the principles office. The only good thing about this is the principle did not compound the error of the teacher.

Yes, I was born here, lived here my entire life, and have gone to school here. Like I said, I stopped watching the video after the whole spiel about freedom of speech. Getting to that point alone was bad enough with the obvious slant of the so called reporting.

The teacher sent the kid to the principal's office. Not really sure that's a penalty, the definition of punishing, unless the kid got punished. She didn't, that's that.

I've seen kids be sent to the principal's office or whatever a couple times for several things, and they came back unpunished. Honestly, you and Fox News are making this more than it really is.

Also, I rather hear the other side of the story before making a final judgment on this. You're automatically assuming everything the student and mother are saying is true. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of lawsuit for "damages" in the future or some other bullcrap. :rolleyes:

Obviously the girl was coached before the interview. Any parent would do that. And I do agree with truth in that we rarely get to hear the school's side. But with that said, the super and the principal apologized so that suggests its not b.s. My guess is that union lawyers have advised the teacher not to. That ticks me off.

It's called covering their ass in case the teacher did fuck up. All you're doing at the moment is guessing and going on the word of a kid who was coached by their parent as to what say exactly. Like I said, don't be surprised to see some inane lawsuit in the future over emotional damages or whatever.

The kid admits that she doesn't know why the drawing was offensive. Maybe the teacher doesn't like to see words written over a flag?

Seriously? :lol:

Way to go Fox News, automatically assume the teacher found the flag offensive but even the kid doesn't know why the drawing was offensive.

Yes, I was born here, lived here my entire life, and have gone to school here. Like I said, I stopped watching the video after the whole spiel about freedom of speech. Getting to that point alone was bad enough with the obvious slant of the so called reporting.

The teacher sent the kid to the principal's office. Not really sure that's a penalty, the definition of punishing, unless the kid got punished. She didn't, that's that.

I've seen kids be sent to the principal's office or whatever a couple times for several things, and they came back unpunished. Honestly, you and Fox News are making this more than it really is.

Also, I rather hear the other side of the story before making a final judgment on this.
You're automatically assuming everything the student and mother are saying is true. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of lawsuit for "damages" in the future or some other bullcrap. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with modbert on this one. I going to need more info, was it because the picture looked like the girl put little to no effort into it? Was it because the teacher had issues with her or the student body that day? Also, though I may get burned for this one, I'm curious about the ethnicity of the teacher. Could we be dealing with another Ronald Gochez?

I have to agree with modbert on this one. I going to need more info, was it because the picture looked like the girl put little to no effort into it? Was it because the teacher had issues with her or the student body that day? Also, though I may get burned for this one, I'm curious about the ethnicity of the teacher. Could we be dealing with another Ronald Gochez?

I am not defending the story in any way, shape, or form. All I did was take issue with the statement the the student's free speech rights stop at the school gate. In California they don't.

The whole damn thing is stupid, the kid was coached before the interview, and the school is going to remain mute unless forced to speak up in court. But misstatements of the law can be challenged and corrected, and I would bet that most students would see being sent to the office as punishment in and of itself. Just because she got no further punishment does not mean the teacher was wrong, or even that the picture being shown on camera is the same one that got her sent to the office.

As for God Bless America:

ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!

There is no concession of rights by entering a school... the Government does not GIVE you your Rights and the Government is in no position to TAKE your Rights.

Now one can FORFEIT THEIR RIGHTS... Which we see that these kids and their parents are decidedly REFUSING TO DO!

But what's hilarious here is how the Moderate, Centrist, Mainstream Progressives are now relegated to quoting COMEDIANS as source on such matters... which makes sense when one comes to understand that these idiots are getting their NEWS from COMEDY CENTRAL!

Forum List

Back