Old fashion Israel, in a more personal view

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
It was said on the other threat that people often choose to take in favor one specific "side" without having any connection to do with it or any side in particular

So I chose to open this thread, and seriously taking NO PROPAGANDA whatsoever, just more personal views of old fashion Israel through old family photos I just found on the other room.

image.jpg

A photo taken by my family, what we call "old Jerusalem". Originally it wasn't that blurry, also copying it from a second source created the faded view.

image.jpg

The Hula valley up north, after the swamp drainage. Also old photo that was kept in our family album.

So this is the family history in general: Rabbi Rodovsky-Weiszmann came to Israel with a group of other religious Jews, under the sponsorship of Rotchild, at the end of 1882 and he himself began building his own heritage in the motherland in 1883. He immigrated with his family, and helped building and creating what is now known as Mazkeret Batya.

This is Rabbi Rodovsky (my great-grandfather) from the Mazkeret Batya Museum:

31_10_2006.jpg

They had properties, among them a farm tat was sadly burned to the ground as the riots started, so their remaning housing was the village, and later on in the Kibbutz.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I believe these photos were taken in the village, either late 40's or the early 50's. The children were would play together, and unlike today, neighbors and families were much more gathered and involved in eachother's lives.

image.jpg

Photo taken in The Kibbutz, I believe. My mother, early 50's.

image.jpg

My family, early 50's.
My gradnmother, grandfather, Mother: Chava (Eve), and uncle: Israel
Trainsportation was mainly by foot or bicycles, manly work was in the Kibbutz, while the women were mostly sewing or caring for the 'Children's place'.

image.jpg

The children's house. It generally looked like a regular class, with the caregiver, but in the Kibbutz, the caregivers were the main mother-figure for the early years of the children. They would be put at the 'Children's house' or the 'Children's place', be picked up very late at night, if parents picked them up the same day. At times, parents won't see the kids for days, as education was mostly given by the teachers. The little ones will sleep in their cribs in a special rooms, the older ones will learn to read from early morning to late afternoon. Eduation was to the Kibbutz spirit.
My mother is in the front row, second to the right.

image.jpg

My mother's birthday at the 'Children's house', early 50's. My grandmother (on the left) worked at the children's house starting my mother's early years, and had 20 children under her watch. Earlier caregiver, Miriam, on the right.

By the way, 'The chair' is a known tradition for children during their birthdays, in Israel. They place the child on a high chair, lifting it up according to the number of the child's years, and add one more, for the next one to come.

image.jpg

Back then, in the Kibbutz, it was also traditional to give charity (now it happens mostly in religious familes, back than it was traditional among all). The donation will be either to the poor or the Kibbutz.

image.jpg

My family passed its dwelling to the south once my mother reached 2. In this photo, at a place called "Beit Ha'am" ('The people's Hall') in Be'er Sheva. 'The people's Hall' was a center of culture and education. Nowdays I'm not sure it even exists, as Be'er Sheva adopted modern values.

image.jpg

My mother holding my uncle, Moshe. She's the middle child, out of 3, and was closer to him in childhood, more than my older uncle.

This photo was taken in Be'er Sheva, near the old city where they lived.

The house still exist today, as my grandfather never left it or refused to abandon it, 60 years later.

image.jpg

Gym claas, Be'eri School, Be'er Sheva. Be'eri is one of the only schools that was activated in the city old days, and still runs now. It's a very appreciated education center located just few minutes from the old city.

image.jpg

Next to the house in Be'er Sheva. All the kids on the street liked to take a ride on my grandpa's tractor back then.

image.jpg

My mother learned to sew at a very young age, as all the women in the family

image.jpg

'AgroNegev' was the first 'printing house' in southern Israel back then, Be'er Sheva. my mother began working there at the age of 17, to bring some many to the house, and left once she got drafted.

image.jpg

Finally, in the army, the girl's class of the Air-Force. entering at the age of 18, she left the system at the age of 44, when I myself was a toddler.

Amazing. Thanks for sharing Lipush. Ironically enough, it was just two weeks ago that I went to my parents house for Shabbat dinner and my mom had some old photo albums out . I opened one of them and there was a bunch of old pictures of my mom, her 4 sisters, 2 brothers and parents right when they moved to Israel from Morroco in 1963 or 1964. Another album had pictures of my dad and his family from the 1970's. I love to look at those pictures and go back in time. It reminds me what a long way Israel has come

Amazing. Thanks for sharing Lipush. Ironically enough, it was just two weeks ago that I went to my parents house for Shabbat dinner and my mom had some old photo albums out . I opened one of them and there was a bunch of old pictures of my mom, her 4 sisters, 2 brothers and parents right when they moved to Israel from Morroco in 1963 or 1964. Another album had pictures of my dad and his family from the 1970's. I love to look at those pictures and go back in time. It reminds me what a long way Israel has come

Indeed. It's great to find out the so many aspects of family, sometimes things you've known, and sometimes other things you just discovered.

Indeed. It's great to find out the so many aspects of family, sometimes things you've known, and sometimes other things you just discovered.

Yup. My favorite picture is of my dad as a soldier standing with three other fellow soldiers a few days after the Yom Kippur war started.

Yup. My favorite picture is of my dad as a soldier standing with three other fellow soldiers a few days after the Yom Kippur war started.

I find those kind of pictures fascinating.

I think my favorite one of those times was of the dog waiting for my father to come home from battle.

EDIT: My dad, not mom.

That is cool history.

There are loads of questions I have for you, but they will keep for later.
In the meantime, thanks for sharing.

Forum List

Back