old dog needs help learning new tricks

tommywho70x

Rookie
Apr 15, 2010
i quit reading user manuals many moons ago and have relied on the computer to optimize itself, ask me what i wanted to do and show me how to do it if i needed help.

that worked real well with windows pc's from 1999 until last month when i bought my first laptop.

at least i can still get the task manager open with CTL+ALT+DEL and windows xp is so much more stable than previous releases that i haven't had to do it yet.

would someone be kind enough to scoop me the keystrokes for:

• closing a running program (was ALT+F4)
  • making a screen shot (was PRNT SRCN)
  • making a selected window image (was ALT+PRNT SCRN)

i'm also having an awful time moving images from my documents folder into a reply to post window. someone want to help me with that?

thanks

happy day

• Banned

Im waiting to see what they tell you, so im listening too. ;) Its been so long since ive added pics to posts I cant remember how to do it other then uploading them as attachment form.

gotcha.

i think i can figure out how to upload a file as an attachment.

i tried to just grab, drag and drop it into the reply window and that didn't work.

i've also noticed that a lot of these embedded you tube videos won't play in the post and you have to go to you tube to watch them so i haven't even tried.

when i copy a news article it takes the text and loses the images.

Print screen still sort of works. What it does is it copies the screen into memory rather than onto a file. What you have to do is have an application open that you can paste a graphic into.

I think the folks in redmond figured that since the screen prints were usually just pasted into word, making a file as the medium process was a waste of time for the user.

Syren, do you have a web space?

OK to make attachments.

You go to "new post"
underneath the post window you will see a box for "manage attachments"
"browse" for your pic. and push "upload"
you have to do a upload for each pic.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Print screen still sort of works. What it does is it copies the screen into memory rather than onto a file. What you have to do is have an application open that you can paste a graphic into.

I think the folks in redmond figured that since the screen prints were usually just pasted into word, making a file as the medium process was a waste of time for the user.

Syren, do you have a web space?

print screen keys are different on a laptop. on this machine it's a blue Fn on INSERT.

in windows on a desktop, hit print screen and the machine puts the image on the clipboard and then will transfer it into word or paint with the paste command. tried that on here and it didn't work. ALT+PRNT SCRN did the same thing but only the selected window rather than the full screen.

can you be a little more specific with a step-by-step, please

Sorry, haven't a clue. Never used any of those keyboard functions, ever.
I have a mouse.

the average younger user never had any need to learn the keyboard shortcuts, thanks to the advent of the mouse.

there are some things that can't be done with the mouse and there are times when mr. murphy rears his ugly head and the mouse is frozen and you have no choice but the keyboard or killing the power.

OK to make attachments.

You go to "new post"
underneath the post window you will see a box for "manage attachments"
"browse" for your pic. and push "upload"
you have to do a upload for each pic.

that looks about right and easy, too.

thanks.

the one i really want is how to take a window shot

like this?

that's a 590 pound burger --- new guinness record

Attachments

• $590 lb burger.jpg