Old cars suck | Change my mind

Amateurs...….

horse-and-buggy2.jpg

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1972 Ford Gran Torino. I do like that.
Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.
You see, youre a lot like me, except ill hate on cars older than that.
BTW, my dream car isn't even a car.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

The Land Rover D90 Defender is one of my favorite vehicles. I almost bought a used one in 2003, after they stopped being imported. It was $30K, and since I wanted a daily driver, I passed and bought a new Jeep Wrangler TJ for $20K which I still have as a weekend vehicle. They are getting huge bucks today.

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg
That is cool, but Rubicons are even better. A "Starwood Jeep Rubicon" is my dream 4x4.

18844239797ac_low_res_2017-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sport.jpg
Cool
How much do they go for?
60-200+k

Check them out here... Starwood Motors | Custom Jeep Dealer in Dallas, TX

This video gives you a look at the variations they have.

Last edited:
Lazy ass Union workers, who thought their gravy train would last forever?

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!
The Capitalist corporations used up and abandoned Detroit. They designed crappy cars, cut corners and ignored the market

The consumers weren’t buying it

Like I said the first step in fixing any problem is first realizing that its broken. Apparently you too are too damned stupid to know this.
BTW your peprecious unions came up in that conversation I had with that honcho running Pontiac at the time. I had to infrom him that I nor did the country at large owe them one damned thing and that they would either have to get off of their dead asses and earn a living or chose unemployment. And now we both know how that went. Their choice was unemployment at the taxpayers expense.
Again you fail to address the basic premise that it was management who designed the cars, cut corners on materials and failed to anticipate a changing market

And yet again you fail to get the point which just proves the point regarding your density. I'm afraid you're doomed to die a drooling moron and there is no cure.

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

The Land Rover D90 Defender is one of my favorite vehicles. I almost bought a used one in 2003, after they stopped being imported. It was $30K, and since I wanted a daily driver, I passed and bought a new Jeep Wrangler TJ for $20K which I still have as a weekend vehicle. They are getting huge bucks today.

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?
The biggest challenge for Brit vehicles was Leyland Electrical, that company should have been dumped eons ago, some of the worst electrical systems ever put in a vehicle. .

Let's not forget the stylish VW Karmann Ghia........

Volkswagen_Karmann-Ghia_Type_14_coupe_%286106019298%29.jpg

The problem with these is you drove it for 5 minutes then had to work on it for 5 days to get it running again........... Not only that they stuck the old Beetle 40HP engine in it, can you say under powered? I knew you could....... :D

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
upload_2019-9-11_12-49-19.jpeg

Ride in a 70 Chev with a 402 or 454..Fun to drive...

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

The biggest challenge for Brit vehicles was Leyland Electrical, that company should have been dumped eons ago, some of the worst electrical systems ever put in a vehicle. .
They were all pretty much junk, ever owned a car with Solex carbs?
The only Britsh make I ever owned was a Mini Minor while I was starioned in the Phillipines. It was a left hand drive and it's only stong point was that I could get a running start and float across the larger puddles during monsoon season. The front wheel drive would touch bottom first and pull the rest across and out.

Not to mention the awesome MGB....... My dad had one, I learned to drive a stick in it.

jolix4apmqwxapyl49k4.jpg

Had a black '64 "B" for many years and loved it but there is a serious problem which can kill you. I've seen it in many "B"s at various car shows and have pointed it out to the owners. It's a very simple fix and it does appear that at some point later in the life of the model that MG fixed it.

It's actually easier to fix than to describe so I won't describe it here. If you own a "B" and want to eliminate the problem send me a PM and I'll get back to you. Not selling anything - and here's one short pointer:

Knock-off hubs. When you pull a wheel for any reason put a little SAE 20 non-detergent oil on the hub splines. Today's tires are so good that you won't pull a wheel often. For that reason the wheels stay on for a long time and can get stuck so firmly that you'll have to find a wheel-puller to get one off without damaging it.

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!
The Capitalist corporations used up and abandoned Detroit. They designed crappy cars, cut corners and ignored the market

The consumers weren’t buying it

Like I said the first step in fixing any problem is first realizing that its broken. Apparently you too are too damned stupid to know this.
BTW your peprecious unions came up in that conversation I had with that honcho running Pontiac at the time. I had to infrom him that I nor did the country at large owe them one damned thing and that they would either have to get off of their dead asses and earn a living or chose unemployment. And now we both know how that went. Their choice was unemployment at the taxpayers expense.
Again you fail to address the basic premise that it was management who designed the cars, cut corners on materials and failed to anticipate a changing market

And yet again you fail to get the point which just proves the point regarding your density. I'm afraid you're doomed to die a drooling moron and there is no cure.

YOU DONT HAVE A POINT

The problem with these is you drove it for 5 minutes then had to work on it for 5 days to get it running again........... Not only that they stuck the old Beetle 40HP engine in it, can you say under powered? I knew you could....... :D
Those were nice little cars
Designed by Porsche but on a Beetle platform

Looked good but no performance

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
Well if you own a old car it would not cost you $5,000 for a new engine, 3000 for a Trans, or $800 for a cooling system. Plastic Pigs do not fly but the money does.

My girlfriend's dad had one of those he picked up for my girlfriend's brother (my best friend at the time). We spent more time working on it than actually driving it. It was 1970-71, I was in HS in Colorado Springs at the time before we moved to Taiwan.

Additional notes on the MGB:

SU carbs were, as always, a damn nuisance.
SU fuel pump (located near gas tank) was prone to failure leaving you at the roadside.
I overcame that one after the third replacement by installing a Stewart-Warner pump under the hood.
Taillights were not fuse-protected on the '64 I had. Smelled smoke and found orange plastic oozing out of the braided cable jacket. Fixed the short (in one of the taillight housings) and replaced the melted wire with some 12-ga Romex and a bunch of cable ties.

I wish I had my old 1965 Chev Nova Hard top SS with a V8 4 Speed, Posi. The first year they put a V8 in it. The guy I sold it to, turned it into a drag car. Sad and it was such a great "sleeper" on the street.

My girlfriend's dad had one of those he picked up for my girlfriend's brother (my best friend at the time). We spent more time working on it than actually driving it. It was 1970-71, I was in HS in Colorado Springs at the time before we moved to Taiwan.
I dated a girl that had one
Had the same engine and transmission as a Beetle

Fun little car to drive, but so was a Beetle

Didn’t see any more maintenance problems you didn’t see on other VWs

Forum List

Back