Ol' Sparky Is Back

A guy not far from my area here in east Tennessee was given the life and prison sentence for killing his infant son. It was on the front page of our page here.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I just saw the write up about the executed guy. Its been almost 30 years since his murdering. Was his death sentence only recently decided?
No, his death sentence was just executed. Should not take 30 years to flush a toilet.

A guy not far from my area here in east Tennessee was given the life and prison sentence for killing his infant son. It was on the front page of our page here.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I just saw the write up about the executed guy. Its been almost 30 years since his murdering. Was his death sentence only recently decided?

No. There is a right to near-infinite appeals awarded along with a death sentence, undermining the deterrence factor.

I am not an advocate for Capital Punishment. It is expensive, not a deterrent, and frankly less of a punishment than life.

South Carolina inmates who sought death penalty in prisoner killings add to life sentences instead

The idea of spending decades behind bars was so awful they murdered more hoping for the death penalty. If you really want to punish someone. The way has been shown to you.
Makes no sense. Almost all fight tooth and nail to avoid being executed even knowing they'll spend the rest of their lives on death row. BTW, it should not take that long to flush a toilet.

It does not deter criminals. That is painfully obvious. It is far more expensive than life. How you may ask? The appeals. All paid for by the State. The State pays lawyers to appeal and lawyers to defend the sentence. Several times. These are guaranteed by the Supreme Court and find all the little technicalities that must be adhered to.

Life gets none of that. Appeals are funded by family or friends or groups who try and prove innocence. Sometimes they actually do prove it. Often enough that the appeals for Capital Punishment will never be gotten rid of.

the State paid for thirty years of appeals to execute one blind man. Seriously? Even if it was the equivalent of one lawyer for each side figure $150k a year. Then you factor in thirty years and now what? Millions of dollars to bring old Sparky back. How many roads could have been repaired? How many bridges? Instead the Death Penalty is a jobs program for lawyers.

Life they put the guy in a hole and forget him. The family slowly forgets him. Visitation goes from weekly to monthly to once or twice a year to almost never.

It crushes the souls of the prisoners. It crushes their hope. Each day the same. Each year nothing changes.

That is a far greater punishment. That is a far crueler existence. You don’t think so but think again. If you were sentenced to death today you would not die next week. Not next year. Nor next decade. It would be an average of twenty years. If it was me I would be in my 70’s before I was strapped down.

Think about it. Cheaper. Cruel. And eventually the same result. Only nobody will care or protest when it finally comes around.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

No. There is a right to near-infinite appeals awarded along with a death sentence, undermining the deterrence factor.

It is more than that. Drug dealers live with death as a threat every single day. Do you think that a nice clean execution scares them more than a rival killing them does? Or a shootout with cops?

You need to think a little more. Instead of just dismissing the baddies as thugs. Think about what they view the world as.

Thanks. Glad to see some appreciation of The Great State of Tennessee. Maybe not the swiftest justice, but we'll get around to you if you deserve it.

Again, what do we accomplish by executing a blind man 30 years after his crime?

We execute less than 25 people a year... it's more of a novelty now...
I understand your point, but is under the laws of the land. Too many laws ignored or unpunished. I haven't the moral outrage to join in bleeding for those that murder, purposely violently and with finality ending the lives of those who were not transgressing against society.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

No, his death sentence was just executed. Should not take 30 years to flush a toilet.
Why it took so long to get on with it was going to be my next question, but the person who shared the news may have done that for me already.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

They need to bring back this type of execution. I would like for them to do some research on beheading. I will like to know if there is consciousness after decapitation. To see if there is voluntary motor skills. I know that the heart acts like a hydraulic pump. That it sends pressure to operate movement and make the eyes to focus in on things. And plus this type of execution is cheaper than the electric chair.

You know what I think should go on in prisons today? A tv in each cell with every channel be educational classes, religious classes, and morality classes. We have an opportunity to get into the heads of these prisoners 24 hours a day. Use it to our advantage.
Sorry to disappoint, but per the Constitution, you can't force religion on anyone. However, I'm all for taking away TV's. I'm also for making them all wear pink ballet tutu's, every day and have them parade themselves in public. The sheer embarrassment should result in less recidivism.

I don't support the death penalty but I've been thinking........I might make an exception for those who steal from charities.

I am not an advocate for Capital Punishment. It is expensive, not a deterrent, and frankly less of a punishment than life.

South Carolina inmates who sought death penalty in prisoner killings add to life sentences instead

The idea of spending decades behind bars was so awful they murdered more hoping for the death penalty. If you really want to punish someone. The way has been shown to you.

You just gave ammunition to death penalty advocates. Killers kill. Murdering a prisoner, who is otherwise defenceless, just goes to show killing these pricks is thg he only way to prevent them killing more.

New Topics

Forum List

Back