Oil approaches Florida

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Florida's Panhandle near Pensacola was on track Wednesday to get the state's first hit of the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster, perhaps later this week, and had 20,000 feet of boom in place to block it from damaging precious wetland.
Bad weather made it difficult to determine when precisely the Deepwater Horizon's oil spill would reach the shores, said Escambia county spokeswoman Sonya Daniel.

"At this point, we still don't have any oil on our shores," she added. "We have done our local booming strategy."

Pensacola readies for Gulf oil spill fallout - Environment - MiamiHerald.com

The booms, imo, aren't going to do much good. Maybe on a flat pond with no wave action.

:doubt:

Sad fact is that this is only the beginning. What is the Florida coast going to look like after two more months of this?

Florida's Panhandle near Pensacola was on track Wednesday to get the state's first hit of the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster, perhaps later this week, and had 20,000 feet of boom in place to block it from damaging precious wetland.
Bad weather made it difficult to determine when precisely the Deepwater Horizon's oil spill would reach the shores, said Escambia county spokeswoman Sonya Daniel.

"At this point, we still don't have any oil on our shores," she added. "We have done our local booming strategy."

Pensacola readies for Gulf oil spill fallout - Environment - MiamiHerald.com

The booms, imo, aren't going to do much good. Maybe on a flat pond with no wave action.

:doubt:

Pensacola's beaches are the whitest I've ever seen. Our obstacle course was out there. This is very sad.

yah, my grandparents lived the latter part of their lives in ft walton beach/pensacola area.....beautiful white sand beaches....

I hope they don't get a hurricane from the west. If that oil gets driven up into the Glades that area will never recover in our lifetime. Beaches recover...marshland...not so much.

I agree Pensacola has the most beautiful pure white beaches that I've ever seen. Such a waste. The whole Florida Panhandle has gorgeous sand and green water, and there's the occasional glimpse of a group of Dolphins.

The wetlands, the estuaries, the corals of the Florida Keys. All are in imminent danger. And if the oil continues to flow, perhaps the whole of our Atlantic Coast. How much do we have to pay for our continued thirst for petroleum?

It is not as if we are unable to replace petroleum for most transportation uses. The technology has been there for at least two decades.

A feasible solution to stop the BP oil gusher

I am a physicist and found a solution in a new “smart pipe plug” what can be shut or pushed in the (soon) open pipe like a harpoon and seal it. This is really made for high pressure, no rubber like materials are used. Important is that it get first a foothold prior sealing the pipe. You find the steps explained in my website.

Why can't I post my website??

Now the theory is there. Please spread the word. It should be build and tested very fast.
Who will build fast such smart pipe plug?
All my official proposals are ignored. They did not even looked into it. Who can help to get the attention of the right people?
This matter is too important for the entire Golf region to be ignored.
Wolfhart Willimczik from a still oil-free Florid
Wolfhartdotus

New Topics

Forum List

Back