Ohio Enquirer presidential endorsement: Mitt Romney

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121028/EDIT01/310280050/Enquirer-presidential-endorsement-Mitt-Romney?nclick_check=1

The No.1 issue in our region and our nation today is how to recharge our economy and get more people working in good-paying jobs.

President Barack Obama has had four years to overcome the job losses of the Great Recession he inherited, but the recovery has been too slow and too weak. It’s time for new leadership from Mitt Romney, a governor and business leader with a record of solving problems.

Romney’s experience as a chief executive, business leader and governor position him to be the best candidate to lead us into a new era of streamlined but effective government with a renewed focus on maintaining America as the world’s leading economy.

The bottom line: He erased the deficit in Massachusetts (which was required by state law) and left office with a $600 million surplus. He replenished the state’s reserve fund two years into his term, pushing it to $2 billion by the time he left office in 2007.

Romney’s plans for recovery revolve around the economic principles of reducing government regulation, cutting corporate taxes and opening more global markets. It’s an approach consistent with who Mitt Romney is – a businessman and a moderate conservative who doesn’t believe so much in government’s making things happen as he does in lifting government interference so they can happen.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

They forgot to mention that the state of MA dropped two slots in job growth by the end of Romney's term, that Romney vetoed dozens of bills only to have the vetoes overridden by the legislature (in other words, he doesn't work well with others) that Ohio has retained good jobs thanks to Obama's auto bailout (the one that Romney opposed), and that Ohio's UE rate is lower than the national average.

They forgot to mention that the state of MA dropped two slots in job growth by the end of Romney's term, that Romney vetoed dozens of bills only to have the vetoes overridden by the legislature (in other words, he doesn't work well with others) that Ohio has retained good jobs thanks to Obama's auto bailout (the one that Romney opposed), and that Ohio's UE rate is lower than the national average.

As someone who knows Obama and his tactics you can't possibly be saying that with a straight face.

These past 4 years have been the most disfunctional in DC in my lifetime

link to this please? Also, how does that compare to the number of bills he DID sign into law? The ratio of bills signed to not signed is a better indicator of his ability to 'work and play well with others'.

As someone who knows Obama and his tactics you can't possibly be saying that with a straight face.

These past 4 years have been the most disfunctional in DC in my lifetime

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTuW-a_qFlA&feature=fvwrel]Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President - YouTube[/ame]

link to this please? Also, how does that compare to the number of bills he DID sign into law? The ratio of bills signed to not signed is a better indicator of his ability to 'work and play well with others'.

Romney As Governor: 800 Vetoes And One Big Deal : NPR

Romney clearly did not relish having to work with a Legislature that was 85 percent Democratic. He pushed hard during his first two years as governor to boost the number of Republicans on Beacon Hill. But that effort was a failure; Republicans ended up losing seats in the midterm elections.

Romney gave up on party building. "From now on," he told The Boston Globe, "it's me-me-me."

Within weeks, Romney had unveiled a universal health insurance plan that would become his signature accomplishment as he launched a 2008 bid for the White House.

But apart from health care, Romney defined success not with big-picture legislative accomplishments but with confrontation. In a 2008 campaign ad, Romney actually bragged about taking on his Legislature: "I like vetoes; I vetoed hundreds of spending appropriations as governor," he said.

Romney issued some 800 vetoes, and the Legislature overrode nearly all of them, sometimes unanimously.

Standing outside that chamber, Democrat Ellen Story recalls a Gov. Romney who had a policeman screen visitors and who did not allow lawmakers to use the bank of elevators just outside his office:

"He was aloof; he was not approachable," Story says. "He was very much an outsider, the whole time he was here."

And Story remembers something else about the former governor: "The Republican reps would grumble that he didn't even know their names."

George Peterson was one of those Republicans; he does not take issue with his colleague's characterization of Romney: "It took him a little bit to get used to dealing with elected officials, let's put it that way," he says.

"The first year was, I'd say, a struggle," Peterson says. "He was used to being a top executive, 'and this is where we're going, and this is how we're going to do it.' And this animal [the state Legislature] doesn't work that way. Not at all. Especially when it's overwhelmingly ruled by one party."

It was actually much more than a few dozen. Des Moines Register Romney Endorsement Neglects His 800 Massachusetts Vetoes And Billion-dollar Olympics Loss Without Tax Dollars, Says Robert Weiner, Democratic Strategist - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

I believe over 700 of the vetoes were overridden.

Romney As Governor: 800 Vetoes And One Big Deal : NPR

Romney clearly did not relish having to work with a Legislature that was 85 percent Democratic. He pushed hard during his first two years as governor to boost the number of Republicans on Beacon Hill. But that effort was a failure; Republicans ended up losing seats in the midterm elections.

Romney gave up on party building. "From now on," he told The Boston Globe, "it's me-me-me."

Within weeks, Romney had unveiled a universal health insurance plan that would become his signature accomplishment as he launched a 2008 bid for the White House.

But apart from health care, Romney defined success not with big-picture legislative accomplishments but with confrontation. In a 2008 campaign ad, Romney actually bragged about taking on his Legislature: "I like vetoes; I vetoed hundreds of spending appropriations as governor," he said.

Romney issued some 800 vetoes, and the Legislature overrode nearly all of them, sometimes unanimously.

Standing outside that chamber, Democrat Ellen Story recalls a Gov. Romney who had a policeman screen visitors and who did not allow lawmakers to use the bank of elevators just outside his office:

"He was aloof; he was not approachable," Story says. "He was very much an outsider, the whole time he was here."

And Story remembers something else about the former governor: "The Republican reps would grumble that he didn't even know their names."

George Peterson was one of those Republicans; he does not take issue with his colleague's characterization of Romney: "It took him a little bit to get used to dealing with elected officials, let's put it that way," he says.

"The first year was, I'd say, a struggle," Peterson says. "He was used to being a top executive, 'and this is where we're going, and this is how we're going to do it.' And this animal [the state Legislature] doesn't work that way. Not at all. Especially when it's overwhelmingly ruled by one party."

Thanks for the link. Now, for the second part, got a link to the number of bills he actually signed into law? As I said, the ratio would be a better indicator.

Forum List

Back