Oh, Eric; Tissue?

• Banned
Shock n'Awe, y'all.

Cantor and the Tea Parties have repeatedly blamed Democrats for the country's problems, presumably exempting them as "parts of our economy and society." Cantor, an enthusiastic supporter of the Tea Parties, told an audience at the 2009 Values Voter Summit that the growing movement was "fighting on the fighting lines of what we know is a battle for our democracy."

"People are beginning to wake up and see a country they don’t really recognize," said Cantor.

When asked about this distinction by reporters this past week, Cantor responded that the Tea Parties were different because their ire was directed at Washington, at "the government and its policies."

"The Tea Party were individuals that were attempting to address their grievances, seeking redress of their grievances, from the government they elected," he said. "It's different, from what I see, of the protesters on Wall Street and elsewhere, that are pitting themselves against others outside of government in America. That's the difference."

"And do you not see the government as representing the people?" asked Politico's David Rogers.

"Sure," said Cantor, "it's of the people. But we're in elected positions and trying to solve problems. I don't believe that our role is to inflame a division between different parts and sectors of --"

When Rogers tried to follow up and said, "I'm not asking about that," the press briefing abruptly ended.

You may notice he didn't once use the term "class warfare". In fact, maybe it's just me, but that term has been curiously absent from the rhetoric of conservative pols and at least some of their media mouthpieces lately.

Seems it doesn't have quite the oomph it used to.

Forum List

Back