Off road, off grid

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Not sure these people qualify as "off grid" but I guess they do go off road- I remember in 02 maybe 03 a girl I was dating, and I, thought about and looked into living in an RV- at the time there were maybe (at least accessible on line) a couple dozen groups that did full time RV living. Some of them earned money in different ways by working "shows" selling trinkets and stuff at malls, etc..

The numbers of people using RV's full time has increased, a lot. It brings to mind a saying I use- adapt or die. Humans can be pretty resourceful- necessity is the mother of invention.

Off-road, off-grid: the modern nomads wandering America's back country
Across US public lands thousands of people are taking to van life, as featured in the Oscar-tipped film Nomadland

I always liked a nomad life style- I think that was the reason I enjoyed driving big trucks over the road after I retired from a real job-

I've already chosen the vehicle that's appropriate for getting through the next decade...

black-rcv-web-1562161230.jpg

Not sure these people qualify as "off grid" but I guess they do go off road- I remember in 02 maybe 03 a girl I was dating, and I, thought about and looked into living in an RV- at the time there were maybe (at least accessible on line) a couple dozen groups that did full time RV living. Some of them earned money in different ways by working "shows" selling trinkets and stuff at malls, etc..

The numbers of people using RV's full time has increased, a lot. It brings to mind a saying I use- adapt or die. Humans can be pretty resourceful- necessity is the mother of invention.

Off-road, off-grid: the modern nomads wandering America's back country
Across US public lands thousands of people are taking to van life, as featured in the Oscar-tipped film Nomadland

I always liked a nomad life style- I think that was the reason I enjoyed driving big trucks over the road after I retired from a real job-
I live in a camper 8 months out of the year. I am stuck in my house in the city right now and really kinda miserable. Wife gone kids grown up, this four bedroom home just feels like a weight around my neck. I am going to sell it this spring. I will get some land and put a pole barn up so my toys have a place to be but I just really need a place to sleep for me. During fishing season I am on the water almost every hour I am awake. The only thing I dislike about that life style is having to go to the laundry mat. Cooking inside the camper can be a pain but as long as it is not raining I grill. I will probably buy a small condo on the water this year so my daughter and grandson have a place to sleep when they visit but if that were not the case I would be fine in the camper.

I would be ok with it, just need an Earthroamer.

earthroamer-s-new-f--16_1600x0w.jpg
I prefer being able to unhitch my camper and being able to use the bed of my truck. I would suggest renting an RV and a camper to see which one is better before dropping the money. You will find you find places you like to spend time at and will want to build decks or lean to beside. Things with motors do not like to sit still for long.

If you have a guaranteed source of income like a pension or even social security, living full time in an RV is sustainable. If you have to depend on odd jobs or other ways of making a buck you are a bum on wheels.

If you have a guaranteed source of income like a pension or even social security, living full time in an RV is sustainable. If you have to depend on odd jobs or other ways of making a buck you are a bum on wheels.
I work seasonal jobs and make 100k a year. Bank most the money as my cost of living is really low. So there goes that theory.

• Banned
It'd be hard for me to have my 8 guitars in an RV-

I live in a camper 8 months out of the year. I am stuck in my house in the city right now and really kinda miserable. Wife gone kids grown up, this four bedroom home just feels like a weight around my neck. I am going to sell it this spring. I will get some land and put a pole barn up so my toys have a place to be but I just really need a place to sleep for me. During fishing season I am on the water almost every hour I am awake. The only thing I dislike about that life style is having to go to the laundry mat. Cooking inside the camper can be a pain but as long as it is not raining I grill. I will probably buy a small condo on the water this year so my daughter and grandson have a place to sleep when they visit but if that were not the case I would be fine in the camper.
I am hoping to buy 20 acres for $35,000. They are asking for $50K but I see in 2019 it was listed for $39K and prices are starting to drop. Hopefully he takes it.

The real estate guy said it has a small shed on the property so I already have something to store my shit. Nothing expensive but stuff I don't want to lug back and forth. Some tools, hunting supplies, pots and pans, etc.

I can't decide to I want to buy one of those miniature log cabins for $10K or buy a camper that I can set up and take with me when I want to go to Florida for the winter. My buddy has a pretty cool small camper where he parks it and uses a drill to raise and lower the legs so that it's level and it's amazing how nice and big it is on the inside. Certainly comfortable. And it would have a sink, toilet and shower.

The mini home won't have anything. If it has power it will be from the solar panels I put on the roof. I'll dig a hole and make an outhouse. The property has 2 streams running through it. Maybe I can run a pipe from the stream to the house so I have some running water. A fire pit. I will put a pot belly stove in it for warmth. Maybe make a food cellar. Totally off grid.

I am hoping to buy 20 acres for $35,000. They are asking for $50K but I see in 2019 it was listed for $39K and prices are starting to drop. Hopefully he takes it.

The real estate guy said it has a small shed on the property so I already have something to store my shit. Nothing expensive but stuff I don't want to lug back and forth. Some tools, hunting supplies, pots and pans, etc.

I can't decide to I want to buy one of those miniature log cabins for $10K or buy a camper that I can set up and take with me when I want to go to Florida for the winter. My buddy has a pretty cool small camper where he parks it and uses a drill to raise and lower the legs so that it's level and it's amazing how nice and big it is on the inside. Certainly comfortable. And it would have a sink, toilet and shower.

The mini home won't have anything. If it has power it will be from the solar panels I put on the roof. I'll dig a hole and make an outhouse. The property has 2 streams running through it. Maybe I can run a pipe from the stream to the house so I have some running water. A fire pit. I will put a pot belly stove in it for warmth. Maybe make a food cellar. Totally off grid.
Well since my last post on this subject. I have sold my home in the city. I bought that condo on the lake. Looking for that acreage. Land prices around here are significantly higher than what you are looking at. You planning on living full time in camper or cabin you are talking about? With out a source of electricity gunna be hard to run fridge. Better learn how to can. With no fridge that food cellar is going to be really important. No way I would try and survive with no electricity with out having that food cellar, canning supplies and a smoke house. Ya want that food to last gotta can it , smoke it, or jerk it. Still have the camper. Sitting at a camp ground a couple miles from my house. Kids have not used it once all summer. Now summer is over so they likely will not get used by them all year. I am going to hitch it up over Thanksgiving. Go to family meal then take camper to southern Ohio to go deer hunting over that week end. Would really like to find some decent acreage around here for a decent price. So far no luck. I keep watching the listing. Nice to have a camper to pull when I go out of town.Cabin would be nice also though. Allows ya to get that cellar.

What seasonal jobs pay that much?
I run fishing charters. Did not make that kinda money this year. Had crazy amounts of wind this year. The lake was more dangerous than a typical year. Had to cancel record amount of trips due to wave size I run 8 months out of the year but I work as many hours during season if not more than some one working full time year round. Not uncommon to spend 12 to 14 hours a day on the water during season.

Well since my last post on this subject. I have sold my home in the city. I bought that condo on the lake. Looking for that acreage. Land prices around here are significantly higher than what you are looking at. You planning on living full time in camper or cabin you are talking about? With out a source of electricity gunna be hard to run fridge. Better learn how to can. With no fridge that food cellar is going to be really important. No way I would try and survive with no electricity with out having that food cellar, canning supplies and a smoke house. Ya want that food to last gotta can it , smoke it, or jerk it. Still have the camper. Sitting at a camp ground a couple miles from my house. Kids have not used it once all summer. Now summer is over so they likely will not get used by them all year. I am going to hitch it up over Thanksgiving. Go to family meal then take camper to southern Ohio to go deer hunting over that week end. Would really like to find some decent acreage around here for a decent price. So far no luck. I keep watching the listing. Nice to have a camper to pull when I go out of town.Cabin would be nice also though. Allows ya to get that cellar.

Glad to hear your update. I have a condo on a lake already. Paid $58K for it in the 90's. Today it's worth $200K (almost) and I have the pontoon. So in Metro Detroit, I'm happy. I will live here most of the time. The property I will just go up and rough it for 2 to 5 days at a time until I retire. My brother has a place close by so I can always take a shower there if I have to. This is going to be my little off grid getaway with the dog, and hunting property. I hunt my brothers place in November but he doesn't want me hunting on it in October because I disturb the property and chase the good bucks away. I can't argue with that. Me and my dog do that. I saw it on trail cam. LOL. Literally saw a 8 point and then next pic was me and my dog. LOL. He was pissed!

The camper will be good so I can take it with me and because I could store water, propane, solar, has a bed, sink. You know, a small camper has all the necessities. Even a mini fridge.

OMG check this out. Camper and Log Cabin

1700070120715.png

1700070145495.png

I run fishing charters. Did not make that kinda money this year. Had crazy amounts of wind this year. The lake was more dangerous than a typical year. Had to cancel record amount of trips due to wave size I run 8 months out of the year but I work as many hours during season if not more than some one working full time year round. Not uncommon to spend 12 to 14 hours a day on the water during season.
You mean my cousin who's a charter boat fishing guide/captain makes that kind of scratch? God Damn! Good for you. Even if you made half I'd be impressed because you're doing something I love.

You mean my cousin who's a charter boat fishing guide/captain makes that kind of scratch? God Damn! Good for you. Even if you made half I'd be impressed because you're doing something I love.
Can not speak for your cousi but ya you can make that kinda money at it. I know several other captains in my area that make that kinda money. I don't know how much longer I will though. Lots of doubles to run in a year to earn that. Many 7 day weeks during season. I am getting pretty old to keep up that pace. Up and to last year I ran duck trips till Jan 3rd. I just got to old to be covered in ice all day with pretty much no days off from late March till January 3rd. I decided not to do it this year.. The writing has been on the wall for a while. For 5 years now everyone running ducks trips around here were half my age. If I were out there today I would be picking up my decoys and heading back to the main land. Instead I am chatting with you and trying to design a new kitchen for this condo. I have about 8 different layouts right now and can't decide on which to go with. Need to make some darn decisions on it real soon. I want to put this condo on the market by spring. Have a way to go to get it market ready. The place that mills my granite is currently 60 days out from order time to completion time. Don't want to have to cut it myself. Gotta get this kitchen figured out and counters ordered.

Can not speak for your cousi but ya you can make that kinda money at it. I know several other captains in my area that make that kinda money. I don't know how much longer I will though. Lots of doubles to run in a year to earn that. Many 7 day weeks during season. I am getting pretty old to keep up that pace. Up and to last year I ran duck trips till Jan 3rd. I just got to old to be covered in ice all day with pretty much no days off from late March till January 3rd. I decided not to do it this year.. The writing has been on the wall for a while. For 5 years now everyone running ducks trips around here were half my age. If I were out there today I would be picking up my decoys and heading back to the main land. Instead I am chatting with you and trying to design a new kitchen for this condo. I have about 8 different layouts right now and can't decide on which to go with. Need to make some darn decisions on it real soon. I want to put this condo on the market by spring. Have a way to go to get it market ready. The place that mills my granite is currently 60 days out from order time to completion time. Don't want to have to cut it myself. Gotta get this kitchen figured out and counters ordered.

How much does a Charter Boat Captain make in Michigan? As of Nov 7, 2023, the average hourly pay for a Charter Boat Captain in Michigan is $21.62 an hour.

That's $45,000 if you worked 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year. What state do you live in?

The average pay for a Hunting & Fishing Guide is $40,054 a year and $19 an hour in Michigan, United States. The average salary range for a Hunting & Fishing Guide is between $29,840 and $47,264.

How much does a Charter Boat Captain make in Michigan? As of Nov 7, 2023, the average hourly pay for a Charter Boat Captain in Michigan is $21.62 an hour.

That's $45,000 if you worked 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year. What state do you live in?

The average pay for a Hunting & Fishing Guide is $40,054 a year and $19 an hour in Michigan, United States. The average salary range for a Hunting & Fishing Guide is between $29,840 and $47,264.
If I run for some one else I make $225 for the trip plus my tip. I average about the same in tip. I can run two trips a day most the season. Our trips are 7 hours of to reach limit. Many days in a good year I can run three trips per day if the bite is good and I limit quickly. This almost always the case during jigging season. During jigging season the fish are in the shallows so very short trip to get to them and it is a suicide bite. Not uncommon to run a trip in an hour during jigging season. I take no mate so tip goes in my pocket. No need to split that tip. Sometimes late in the season when I an just beat down tired I will take a mate. When I run my own boat charter is $825 plus tip. Obviously not all that $825 is profit. Easy to spend 100 dollars per trip on fuel alone. Then boat cost, maintenance, insurance advo etc. One has to realize these averages are many times very deceiving. Averages can be brought down in a hurry when including part timers. Where they are guiding can be a major difference also. I live in in a high end vacation area. Very wealthy people are the clients in this area.. Add in the doubles and working 7 days a a week. The average captain around here only runs 5 trips per week. I run significantly more. Other than this area I really do not know any one that guides full time. The only other area I run into full timers is the keys. Those guys are mak8ngs more than I am but their cost of living is much higher down there

If I run for some one else I make $225 for the trip plus my tip. I average about the same in tip. I can run two trips a day most the season. Our trips are 7 hours of to reach limit. Many days in a good year I can run three trips per day if the bite is good and I limit quickly. This almost always the case during jigging season. During jigging season the fish are in the shallows so very short trip to get to them and it is a suicide bite. Not uncommon to run a trip in an hour during jigging season. I take no mate so tip goes in my pocket. No need to split that tip. Sometimes late in the season when I an just beat down tired I will take a mate. When I run my own boat charter is $825 plus tip. Obviously not all that $825 is profit. Easy to spend 100 dollars per trip on fuel alone. Then boat cost, maintenance, insurance advo etc. One has to realize these averages are many times very deceiving. Averages can be brought down in a hurry when including part timers. Where they are guiding can be a major difference also. I live in in a high end vacation area. Very wealthy people are the clients in this area.. Add in the doubles and working 7 days a a week. The average captain around here only runs 5 trips per week. I run significantly more. Other than this area I really do not know any one that guides full time. The only other area I run into full timers is the keys. Those guys are mak8ngs more than I am but their cost of living is much higher down there
Well, like I said before, I would be happy doing what you do and only making $50K. That's actually what I expected.

In Florida, let's say you took people out full days 5 days a week for 50 weeks. That's over $312K a year. So to make $100K they only need to work 17 weeks.

Full-day (8 hours)$1250

Well, like I said before, I would be happy doing what you do and only making $50K. That's actually what I expected.

In Florida, let's say you took people out full days 5 days a week for 50 weeks. That's over $312K a year. So to make $100K they only need to work 17 weeks.

Full-day (8 hours)$1250
If you ran doubles every dayI

Full-day (8 hours)$1250
I am not making that per 8 hours. I am averaging 450 a trip. A seven hour trip if it goes full trip. Sometimes shorter if ya limit. Down there though ya charters are starting at about $ 1250. So ya your own boat can make that kinda money daily. Talking to the guys in the keys they are running on average 20 miles out and 20 miles back. Longer runs than my typical. Likely about 200 in fuel. Tip would probably cover that fuel cost. I would assume they tip similar down there. Still have boat, cost, maintenance cost, tackle costs, bait and insurance. Plus docking. Ya, you can make that kinda money if ya own your own boat and run it. Typical set up down there is an island hopper with about 30 to 35k in tackle. Island hoppers are typically 175 to 200k. So payments on that, plus insurance, tackle upkeep, boat upkeep, bait advo, insurance taken out of there. I have no idea what docking fees are down there.I spend about 3300 per year here on lake Erie. Not everyone gets tipped the same. I am definitely top ten percent around here in that tipping category. I do much better than average in that respect. You can easily come up here with a captains license and make 50k here in your first year assuming you are personable and can catch fish. In this game its all about the wind. The higher the wind the worst the waves. If the waves are to large ya have to cancel. This year that messed with my income. Not only a bunch of wind days but a bunch of North wind days. North wind pushes the lake up on to shore. When the water receads brings mud with it. Ya catch very few fish in chocolate milk. Those bD fishing days hit the internet and the next thing ya know the phone is ringing with cancelations. A good North wind can screw fishing here for days at a time. If ya wanna make 50k per year having some fun you can do that pretty easy here. A lot easier in the keys because you can do it year round and they pay more. The cost of living in my area is pretty high as it is a tourist trap. Worse in the keys. But ya here if are are willing to live in a camper here you can reduce cost of living big time. My camper costs $2400 per year lot rent. I spend about 30 per month in electricity if I am using it. Right now staying in condo.$150 for winter storage of camper. So ya you can live here make 50k and have bills of basically 250 per month for housing. Very doable

If you ran doubles every dayI

I am not making that per 8 hours. I am averaging 450 a trip. A seven hour trip if it goes full trip. Sometimes shorter if ya limit. Down there though ya charters are starting at about $ 1250. So ya your own boat can make that kinda money daily. Talking to the guys in the keys they are running on average 20 miles out and 20 miles back. Longer runs than my typical. Likely about 200 in fuel. Tip would probably cover that fuel cost. I would assume they tip similar down there. Still have boat, cost, maintenance cost, tackle costs, bait and insurance. Plus docking. Ya, you can make that kinda money if ya own your own boat and run it. Typical set up down there is an island hopper with about 30 to 35k in tackle. Island hoppers are typically 175 to 200k. So payments on that, plus insurance, tackle upkeep, boat upkeep, bait advo, insurance taken out of there. I have no idea what docking fees are down there.I spend about 3300 per year here on lake Erie. Not everyone gets tipped the same. I am definitely top ten percent around here in that tipping category. I do much better than average in that respect. You can easily come up here with a captains license and make 50k here in your first year assuming you are personable and can catch fish. In this game its all about the wind. The higher the wind the worst the waves. If the waves are to large ya have to cancel. This year that messed with my income. Not only a bunch of wind days but a bunch of North wind days. North wind pushes the lake up on to shore. When the water receads brings mud with it. Ya catch very few fish in chocolate milk. Those bD fishing days hit the internet and the next thing ya know the phone is ringing with cancelations. A good North wind can screw fishing here for days at a time. If ya wanna make 50k per year having some fun you can do that pretty easy here. A lot easier in the keys because you can do it year round and they pay more. The cost of living in my area is pretty high as it is a tourist trap. Worse in the keys. But ya here if are are willing to live in a camper here you can reduce cost of living big time. My camper costs $2400 per year lot rent. I spend about 30 per month in electricity if I am using it. Right now staying in condo.$150 for winter storage of camper. So ya you can live here make 50k and have bills of basically 250 per month for housing. Very doable
Pretty cool. I have a 2 seat Coleman troll flat bottom boat. You can Google the 5 rivers of otsego county. It’s by this property I want to buy. I will definitely fish those rivers.

If the back is like I think I’m going to clean it. Clear it of all the fallen timber. I love making bonfires. My brothers property is pretty clean. You have to go to the back to find wood to burn. I thought we’d never run out but boy can you go through wood just hanging outside.

I hope it’s not wetlands type woods. I know the deer love it but they’ll love the food crop I plant too. Winter wheat, alfalfa, beets, turnips.

It says two streams run thru it but that could be back where the deer love but it’s a bitch getting one out. My brother had some guys bring out two huge machines and use the trees to make a wood chip path back to the river. Not sure he technically had the permission or right to do that and my property would be where neighbors would know what was going on. My brothers 60 acres is a hidden compound. Hidden and surrounded by trees so no one can even see the house or property unless they walk in. Then they’re on camera.

Forum List

Back