AveryJarhman

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2015
ny
Westbrook.jpg

Was Deceased Teen Rapper Daquan Antonio Westbrook A Victim of Childhood Abuse & Neglect?

Shots fired in Northlake Mall in N.C. on Christmas Eve

"When [Officer] Ferguson arrived on the scene, it is reported that Westbrook who was armed and pointed his firearm at the officer.."

Can I be honest?

Daquan Antonio Westbrook, much like 2015 Grammy winner Kendrick Lamar, Tupac, Dwayne Carter and thousands of other depressed teens and adults was a victim of Child Abuse and Neglect.

Am I being too bold suggesting in all likelihood Daquan's mom was a immature, depressed teen or young woman who naively believed she was prepared to take on the 24/7 responsibility and daily challenges of raising a newborn, infant, toddler, child who matures into a fairly happy teen and adult with mostly fond childhood memories.

In May 2015 the NYTimes published an article reporting a significant increase of suicide among "black children."

Frankly, I was not surprised by this news. Though I did become angry when learning about this increase in little kids believing their lives are not worth living. much like the countless times I experienced anger when witnessing children being nurtured by immature Brooklyn, NY teens and women.

I was not surprised because over a period of nearly twelve years I personally witnessed the cycle of Poverty, which I prefer to correctly term as Child Abuse and Neglect, that would cause a young child to believe his or her life was hopeless, not worth living. I've witnessed the emotional damage many irresponsible, "living wild" (Kendrick Lamar's characterization of his mom's lifestyle) neglectful moms subject their young developing kids to during a critical period of their child's human development.

I was angry because VERY FEW responsible Americans are loudly addressing the issue of Poverty, which is a polite term for Childhood Abuse and Neglect.

Frankly, based on my personal view and values, I believe a mom lacking practical skills or means to independently and responsibly provide for her child or children is subjecting them to emotional abuse...because as they mature learning of their situation kids often become resentful for being raised by handouts.

My folks split in my mid-teens. leaving me, sis and mom collecting social services for year or so until mom got back on her feet and sold our home so she could pay back the social service costs we incurred.

When I learned we would be collecting welfare my heart sunk. As far as I knew none of my friends were on welfare and I did not want to become known as "the welfare kid." That would have devastated me.

Listening to child abuse victim Kendrick Lamar speak or reading his interviews, I easily detect in his tone and demeanor that he is unhappy with the poor choices his mom and dad made for him and his sibling's upbringing, which included accepting "free money" from his responsible neighbors.

Sadly, Kendrick is not alone. I've met countless dozens of depressed, angry teens much like him and Tupac, teens forced to cope with an emotionally abusive childhood that deprived them from experiencing the Average Joe American kid childhood it is evident Kendrick Lamar laments he wishes he enjoyed.

Does anyone doubt rapper Daquan was emotionally scarred much like Tupac who raps about depression and suicide, same for Kendrick, Curtis '50 Cents' Jackson, Dwayne 'Lil Wayne' Carter and far too many other young Americans who share their life experiences and pain in public.

Each one of these man performs rap characterizing and demeaning the MATERNAL HALF of our population as less than human ^itches and ^hores unworthy of respect.

Time for change?

Peace.

Black *(Children's)* Lives Matter; Take Pride In Parenting; *End Our National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect*; End Community Violence, Police Fear & Educator's Frustrations

It's obviously time to blame the cop and probably need to arrest him for murder and immediately fire him and seize all his belongings.

He should've asked the kid "Were you abused as a child?" before shooting him.

"Westbrook was a rapper from North Charlotte, North Carolina. He’s released two mixtapes, including one called Convicted Felon With A Weapon."

"According to WBTV, Westbrook had been arrested “at least 11 times” since 2013. Local news reports that Westbrook was arrested in 2014 in connection with the shooting of a 12-year-old boy a year earlier. He was charged with multiple counts, including assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill."

racist donkey.png

Bustle

"Westbrook was a rapper from North Charlotte, North Carolina. He’s released two mixtapes, including one called Convicted Felon With A Weapon."

"According to WBTV, Westbrook had been arrested “at least 11 times” since 2013. Local news reports that Westbrook was arrested in 2014 in connection with the shooting of a 12-year-old boy a year earlier. He was charged with multiple counts, including assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill."

View attachment 57917

Bustle

Ha!!!! I called that one

When the media uses the word "rapper" in reference to a person shot by the police.

It is code for:
extensive arrest record
unemployed (never had a job)
lives in the hood
has several baby mama's
uses and sells drugs
carries an illegal stolen gun
honor student (that somehow never graduated)

Last edited:
Westbrook.jpg

Was Deceased Teen Rapper Daquan Antonio Westbrook A Victim of Childhood Abuse & Neglect?

Shots fired in Northlake Mall in N.C. on Christmas Eve

"When [Officer] Ferguson arrived on the scene, it is reported that Westbrook who was armed and pointed his firearm at the officer.."

Can I be honest?

Daquan Antonio Westbrook, much like 2015 Grammy winner Kendrick Lamar, Tupac, Dwayne Carter and thousands of other depressed teens and adults was a victim of Child Abuse and Neglect.

Am I being too bold suggesting in all likelihood Daquan's mom was a immature, depressed teen or young woman who naively believed she was prepared to take on the 24/7 responsibility and daily challenges of raising a newborn, infant, toddler, child who matures into a fairly happy teen and adult with mostly fond childhood memories.

In May 2015 the NYTimes published an article reporting a significant increase of suicide among "black children."

Frankly, I was not surprised by this news. Though I did become angry when learning about this increase in little kids believing their lives are not worth living. much like the countless times I experienced anger when witnessing children being nurtured by immature Brooklyn, NY teens and women.

I was not surprised because over a period of nearly twelve years I personally witnessed the cycle of Poverty, which I prefer to correctly term as Child Abuse and Neglect, that would cause a young child to believe his or her life was hopeless, not worth living. I've witnessed the emotional damage many irresponsible, "living wild" (Kendrick Lamar's characterization of his mom's lifestyle) neglectful moms subject their young developing kids to during a critical period of their child's human development.

I was angry because VERY FEW responsible Americans are loudly addressing the issue of Poverty, which is a polite term for Childhood Abuse and Neglect.

Frankly, based on my personal view and values, I believe a mom lacking practical skills or means to independently and responsibly provide for her child or children is subjecting them to emotional abuse...because as they mature learning of their situation kids often become resentful for being raised by handouts.

My folks split in my mid-teens. leaving me, sis and mom collecting social services for year or so until mom got back on her feet and sold our home so she could pay back the social service costs we incurred.

When I learned we would be collecting welfare my heart sunk. As far as I knew none of my friends were on welfare and I did not want to become known as "the welfare kid." That would have devastated me.

Listening to child abuse victim Kendrick Lamar speak or reading his interviews, I easily detect in his tone and demeanor that he is unhappy with the poor choices his mom and dad made for him and his sibling's upbringing, which included accepting "free money" from his responsible neighbors.

Sadly, Kendrick is not alone. I've met countless dozens of depressed, angry teens much like him and Tupac, teens forced to cope with an emotionally abusive childhood that deprived them from experiencing the Average Joe American kid childhood it is evident Kendrick Lamar laments he wishes he enjoyed.

Does anyone doubt rapper Daquan was emotionally scarred much like Tupac who raps about depression and suicide, same for Kendrick, Curtis '50 Cents' Jackson, Dwayne 'Lil Wayne' Carter and far too many other young Americans who share their life experiences and pain in public.

Each one of these man performs rap characterizing and demeaning the MATERNAL HALF of our population as less than human ^itches and ^hores unworthy of respect.

Time for change?

Peace.

Black *(Children's)* Lives Matter; Take Pride In Parenting; *End Our National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect*; End Community Violence, Police Fear & Educator's Frustrations

Rhetoric, plain and simple. Complete and utter crap. How one is or isn't raised, from my experience, does not determine how a kid will turn out. The bottom line is it is up to the individual what choices they make in their life. If they have the inspiration, intensity, intelligence, and independence to succeed nothing will stand in their way. Circumstances are merely that and can be overcome through drive and hard work. People quickly latch onto all these excuses society has manufactured as reasons for not being able to who they should have been. Excuses just placate the psyche. It's easier to blame than press ahead. We need to take responsibility for our failures, recognize them as such, and move forward and reach for the sky.

What's taking so long to charge this cop with murder and seize all his property and take his children into state custody?

In other news, rain falls to the ground, the sun is whitish yellow and oceans are wet.

News at 11.

This kid seemingly got what he deserved. Does this mean there hasn't been excessive violence by some police? No.

0001-115415811.png

Spinster observed, "Rhetoric, plain and simple. Complete and utter crap. How one is or isn't raised, from my experience, does not determine how a kid will turn out."

Hi, Spin.

I'm in the mood to bloviate.

Apparently your "experience" differs from my nearly twelve years of near-daily "experiences" interacting with victims of child abuse and the caretakers who abuse them.

If you don't mind I'd like to share my experiences beginning with just a few cases of heart breaking child abuse and neglect I investigated, as well as witnessing the family and friends of a newborn boy foreseeing his future just moments after he took his first breaths of air.

Brooklyn, NY Newborn Raised To Be A "Baddd Boy"

Brooklyn's Boom-Box Mom; Sad Case of Child Abuse & Maltreatment

Witnessing A Severely Depressed Teen, Reveal He Is A Victim of Child Abuse/Neglect

Spin, many of these children were abused and/or neglected during a critical period of their emotional development, maturing into adolescent teens pretty much living in a constant state of depression. Residing and going to school in often scary, dangerous neighborhoods, surrounded by other abused kids living in a near-constant state of depression.

Spin, early in my police career when I was assigned to the Brooklyn, NY community *Shawn 'Jay Z' Carter* raps about attempting destroy by indiscriminately selling 'people and community' harming addictive drugs to depressed people who often emotionally and/or physically victimized their peaceful neighbors to acquire funds needed to purchase the drugs Shawn offered to anyone regardless of their age, emotional or physical condition...and rapping about using his semi-automatic "Mack Milli" to protect his drug operation from rival gangs in adjoining neighborhoods, as well as to maintain dominance over and instill fear in the peaceful people living in the Marcy Houses and surrounding neighborhoods....a few of my training officers advised me to be prepared to experience "culture shock."

When I asked what is meant by "culture shock," I was told, "You'll find out."

I did find out what "culture shock" is, though it was not a culture of violence and harmful anti-social activities many were insinuating I would be shocked by.

The aspect of this Brooklyn, NY community that shocked me to the core was witnessing children being emotionally scarred by an *American Sub-Culture of Child Abuse/Neglect*," aka *Poverty* that Kendrick Lamar raps and speaks about some twenty-five years after I first witnessed the *"American Sub-Culture of Child Abuse/Neglect"* that today CONTINUES emotionally damaging many developing children and their communities.

I personally witnessed the emotional trauma and physical pain a young, neglected, unsupervised, *Shawn 'Jay Z' Carter* is responsible for causing, and its aftermath, leaving a community populated by mostly peaceful people fearing for their safety on a 24/7 basis, which are the hours Shawn's crew/gang were selling community harming substances.

For twelve years on a near daily basis I witnessed the emotional and physical harm or grave physical injuries depressed, substance abusing people cause to their peaceful neighbors when acquiring funds to purchase the community and people harming addictive drugs Shawn Carter joyously raps about selling to his depressed struggling neighbors.

During the twelve years I served this community I met hundreds of peaceful people who were just as shaken, upset and deeply disturbed as I was by the daily displays of violence and other anti-social activities mostly caused by depressed, angry, frustrated, unpredictable, sometimes suicidal teens and adults *(NY Times May 18, 2015 - Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers)* who were victims of Early Childhood Abuse and Neglect.

I was lucky, at the end of my workday I could leave the community, returning to a more peaceful residential community where concerns for me and my family's safety were significantly lower.

However, virtually all of my civilian co-workers, mostly loving, competent moms living in this community were not as fortunate. They were burdened with stresses and challenges my parents did not face to any significant degree.

The added stresses and challenges my peaceful co-workers faced was preventing their children from being negatively influenced by abused, neglected, unsupervised children being raised and nurtured by immature, "living wild" teen moms and young women who irresponsibly begin building families before they acquired the skills, maturity, *PATIENCE* and means to independently provide for their family of developing children.

In his 2015 Grammy award winning Rap Performance titled "I", Kendrick Lamar writes, *"I've been dealing with depression ever since an adolescent."*

During a January 20, 2011 LAWeekly interview (Google search) Kendrick, born in 1987, the same year songwriter Suzanne Vega wrote a song about child abuse and *VICTIM DENIAL* that was nominated for a Grammy award, told the interviewer:

*"Lamar's parents moved from Chicago to Compton in 1984 with all of $500 in their pockets. "My mom's one of 13 [THIRTEEN] siblings, and they all got SIX kids, and till I was 13 everybody was in Compton," he says."*

*"I'm 6 years old, seein' my uncles playing with shotguns, sellin' dope in front of the apartment."*

*"My moms and pops never said nothing, 'cause they were young and living wild, too. I got about 15 stories like 'Average Joe.'"*

It seems evident to me Kendrick identified the source of his depression, the roots of poverty, the child abuse/maltreatment that prevented him, his brothers, sisters, cousins, neighborhood friends, elementary and JHS classmates from enjoying a fairly happy safe childhood.

Seems the adults responsible for raising the children in Kendrick's immediate and extended family placed obstacles in their children's way, causing their kids to deal with challenges and stresses young minds are not prepared to deal with...*nor should they or any other children be exposed to and have to deal with.*

It seems evident to me these *PARENTAL INTRODUCED* obstacles and challenges cause some developing children's minds to become tormented and go haywire, not knowing *OR NOT CARING ABOUT* right from wrong...because as they mature, young victims of child abuse realize their parents introduced them to a life of pain and struggle, totally unlike the mostly safe, happy life the media showed them many American kids were enjoying. *RESENTMENT*

I wonder how little Kendrick and his classmates reacted when their elementary school teacher introduced the DARE presenter and they learned about the real dangers of drugs and how they harm people, including their parents? *Cognitive Dissonance*

Kendrick Lamar Talks About ‘u,’ His Depression & Suicidal Thoughts (Pt. 2) | MTV News April 2015

I cannot speak for anyone else, but if I was raised in Kendrick's family I would most likely be silently peeved at my parents. particularly my mom who had the final say on whether or not I was born, for being immature, irresponsible "living wild" adults who deprived me, my sisters and brothers of experiencing a safe, fairly happy Average Joe or Josie American childhood.

I have a feeling most Americans would have been just as shaken and disturbed as I was when witnessing on a daily basis children and teens being abused, neglected and unsupervised, which often resulted with them venting their anger and frustrations on their peaceful neighbors.

This video depicts horrific examples of men who were victims of childhood abuse and neglect, conditioning a young teen to embrace 'The Street' culture Baltimore Mom of The Year failed to protect her teen son from...not to mention representing the fear peaceful people living and WORKING in the community experience knowing depressed, angry, unpredictable teens and young adults need to vent their angers and frustrations for being introduced to a life of pain and struggle by irresponsible, "living wild" single moms and/or dads.

This video depicts acts of criminal child abuse, maltreatment and violence against..."A little girl, catching a cool breeze from an air conditioning unit in the yard, was blindsided by another child about her same age, who had evidently had some practice with fighting fierce. The small victim wasn't alone, as there were plenty of nearby witnesses, who could have protected her but didn't because they were too busy recording the brutal beat down and encouraging it." | Written By Amanda Shea

Mediatakeout | Facebook

NY Times May 18, 2015 - *Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers*

Quoting the NYT article, *"The suicide rate among black children has nearly doubled since the early 1990s, surpassing the rate for white children, a new study has found."*

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/19/h...-children-surged-in-2-decades-study-says.html

Who is responsible for traumatizing, abusing, neglecting, maltreating children to the point where depressed young kids, we're talking elementary school age children, believe their lives are not worth living?

With all due respect to my American neighbors of African descent, the oppression of humans that led to racism and slavery has *largely* been replaced with a new form of human oppression that impedes and deprives many American children from experiencing a safe, fairly happy American kid childhood.

The question all concerned, compassionate Americans should seriously be asking ourselves, our elected, civil, social, community and religious leaders is, "What real, substantial changes in our society's attitude and laws need to occur to prevent abuse that often causes young kids to mature into depressed, frustrated, angry teens and adults as a result of experiencing the *emotional and/or physical trauma of an abusive childhood?*

Spin, After reading the tone of your reply I do not expect to alter your belief that adult victims of early childhood abuse and neglect should be able to "pull up their boot straps" and get on with life sporting a happy face.

Though maybe another who reads my long winded, grammatically challenged ramblings will start a conversation about finding ways to prevent children from maturing into depressed adults often emotionally scarred for life by their early childhood caretakers.

Spin, perhaps the conversation will expand concerned, caring citizens demanding we re-examine and update our child protection laws, much like supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement are demanding our CJS laws be updated to protect all citizen's right to fair treatment?

Peace.

Spinster observed, "Rhetoric, plain and simple. Complete and utter crap. How one is or isn't raised, from my experience, does not determine how a kid will turn out."

Hi, Spin.

Apparently your "experience" differs from my nearly twelve years of near-daily "experiences" interacting with victims of child abuse and the caretakers who abuse them.

If you don't mind I'd like to share my experiences beginning with just a few cases of heart breaking child abuse and neglect I investigated, as well as witnessing the family and friends of a newborn boy foreseeing his future just moments after he took his first breaths of air.

Witnessing A Severely Depressed Teen, Reveal He Is A Victim of Child Abuse/Neglect

Spin, many of these children were abused and/or neglected during a critical period of their emotional development, maturing into adolescent teens pretty much living in a constant state of depression. Residing and going to school in often scary, dangerous neighborhoods, surrounded by other abused kids living in a near-constant state of depression.

Spin, early in my police career when I was assigned to the Brooklyn, NY community *Shawn 'Jay Z' Carter* raps about attempting destroy by indiscriminately selling 'people and community' harming addictive drugs to depressed people who often emotionally and/or physically victimized their peaceful neighbors to acquire funds needed to purchase the drugs Shawn offered to anyone regardless of their age, emotional or physical condition...and rapping about using his semi-automatic "Mack Milli" to protect his drug operation from rival gangs in adjoining neighborhoods, as well as to maintain dominance over and instill fear in the peaceful people living in the Marcy Houses and surrounding neighborhoods....a few of my training officers advised me to be prepared to experience "culture shock."

I did find out what "culture shock" is, though it was not a culture of violence and harmful anti-social activities many were insinuating I would be shocked by.

The aspect of this Brooklyn, NY community that shocked me to the core was witnessing children being emotionally scarred by an *American Sub-Culture of Child Abuse/Neglect*," aka *Poverty* that Kendrick Lamar raps and speaks about some twenty-five years after I first witnessed the *"American Sub-Culture of Child Abuse/Neglect"* that today CONTINUES emotionally damaging many developing children and their communities.

I personally witnessed the emotional trauma and physical pain a young, neglected, unsupervised, *Shawn 'Jay Z' Carter* is responsible for causing, and its aftermath, leaving a community populated by mostly peaceful people fearing for their safety on a 24/7 basis, which are the hours Shawn's crew/gang were selling community harming substances.

For twelve years on a near daily basis I witnessed the emotional and physical harm or grave physical injuries depressed, substance abusing people cause to their peaceful neighbors when acquiring funds to purchase the community and people harming addictive drugs Shawn Carter joyously raps about selling to his depressed struggling neighbors.

During the twelve years I served this community I met hundreds of peaceful people who were just as shaken, upset and deeply disturbed as I was by the daily displays of violence and other anti-social activities mostly caused by depressed, angry, frustrated, unpredictable, sometimes suicidal teens and adults *(NY Times May 18, 2015 - Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers)* who were victims of Early Childhood Abuse and Neglect.

I was lucky, at the end of my workday I could leave the community, returning to a more peaceful residential community where concerns for me and my family's safety were significantly lower.

However, virtually all of my civilian co-workers, mostly loving, competent moms living in this community were not as fortunate. They were burdened with stresses and challenges my parents did not face to any significant degree.

The added stresses and challenges my peaceful co-workers faced was preventing their children from being negatively influenced by abused, neglected, unsupervised children being raised and nurtured by immature, "living wild" teen moms and young women who irresponsibly begin building families before they acquired the skills, maturity, *PATIENCE* and means to independently provide for their family of developing children.

In his 2015 Grammy award winning Rap Performance titled "I", Kendrick Lamar writes, *"I've been dealing with depression ever since an adolescent."*

During a January 20, 2011 LAWeekly interview (Google search) Kendrick, born in 1987, the same year songwriter Suzanne Vega wrote a song about child abuse and *VICTIM DENIAL* that was nominated for a Grammy award, told the interviewer:

*"Lamar's parents moved from Chicago to Compton in 1984 with all of $500 in their pockets. "My mom's one of 13 [THIRTEEN] siblings, and they all got SIX kids, and till I was 13 everybody was in Compton," he says."*

*"I'm 6 years old, seein' my uncles playing with shotguns, sellin' dope in front of the apartment."*

*"My moms and pops never said nothing, 'cause they were young and living wild, too. I got about 15 stories like 'Average Joe.'"*

It seems evident to me Kendrick identified the source of his depression, the roots of poverty, the child abuse/maltreatment that prevented him, his brothers, sisters, cousins, neighborhood friends, elementary and JHS classmates from enjoying a fairly happy safe childhood.

Seems the adults responsible for raising the children in Kendrick's immediate and extended family placed obstacles in their children's way, causing their kids to deal with challenges and stresses young minds are not prepared to deal with...*nor should they or any other children be exposed to and have to deal with.*

It seems evident to me these *PARENTAL INTRODUCED* obstacles and challenges cause some developing children's minds to become tormented and go haywire, not knowing *OR NOT CARING ABOUT* right from wrong...because as they mature, young victims of child abuse realize their parents introduced them to a life of pain and struggle, totally unlike the mostly safe, happy life the media showed them many American kids were enjoying. *RESENTMENT*

I wonder how little Kendrick and his classmates reacted when their elementary school teacher introduced the DARE presenter and they learned about the real dangers of drugs and how they harm people, including their parents? *Cognitive Dissonance*

Kendrick Lamar Talks About ‘u,’ His Depression & Suicidal Thoughts (Pt. 2) | MTV News April 2015

I cannot speak for anyone else, but if I was raised in Kendrick's family I would most likely be silently peeved at my parents. particularly my mom who had the final say on whether or not I was born, for being immature, irresponsible "living wild" adults who deprived me, my sisters and brothers of experiencing a safe, fairly happy Average Joe or Josie American childhood.

I have a feeling most Americans would have been just as shaken and disturbed as I was when witnessing on a daily basis children and teens being abused, neglected and unsupervised, which often resulted with them venting their anger and frustrations on their peaceful neighbors.

This video depicts horrific examples of men who were victims of childhood abuse and neglect, conditioning a young teen to embrace 'The Street' culture Baltimore Mom of The Year failed to protect her teen son from...not to mention representing the fear peaceful people living and WORKING in the community experience knowing depressed, angry, unpredictable teens and young adults need to vent their angers and frustrations for being introduced to a life of pain and struggle by irresponsible, "living wild" single moms and/or dads.

This video depicts acts of criminal child abuse, maltreatment and violence against..."A little girl, catching a cool breeze from an air conditioning unit in the yard, was blindsided by another child about her same age, who had evidently had some practice with fighting fierce. The small victim wasn't alone, as there were plenty of nearby witnesses, who could have protected her but didn't because they were too busy recording the brutal beat down and encouraging it." | Written By Amanda Shea

Mediatakeout | Facebook

NY Times May 18, 2015 - *Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers*

Quoting the NYT article, *"The suicide rate among black children has nearly doubled since the early 1990s, surpassing the rate for white children, a new study has found."*

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/19/h...-children-surged-in-2-decades-study-says.html

Who is responsible for traumatizing, abusing, neglecting, maltreating children to the point where depressed young kids, we're talking elementary school age children, believe their lives are not worth living?

With all due respect to my American neighbors of African descent, the oppression of humans that led to racism and slavery has *largely* been replaced with a new form of human oppression that impedes and deprives many American children from experiencing a safe, fairly happy American kid childhood.

The question all concerned, compassionate Americans should seriously be asking ourselves, our elected, civil, social, community and religious leaders is, "What real, substantial changes in our society's attitude and laws need to occur to prevent abuse that often causes young kids to mature into depressed, frustrated, angry teens and adults as a result of experiencing the *emotional and/or physical trauma of an abusive childhood?*

Spin, After reading the tone of your reply I do not expect to alter your belief that adult victims of early childhood abuse and neglect should be able to "pull up their boot straps" and get on with life sporting a happy face.

Though maybe another who reads my long winded, grammatically challenged ramblings will start a conversation about finding ways to prevent children from maturing into depressed adults often emotionally scarred for life by their early childhood caretakers.

Spin, perhaps the conversation will expand concerned, caring citizens demanding we re-examine and update our child protection laws, much like supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement are demanding our CJS laws be updated to protect all citizen's right to fair treatment?

Peace.

Avery, while I can appreciate your twelve years as a police officer working with the abused, dejected, and depressed kids who are/were victims of less than desirable environments, you're correct in that your very knowledgable post didn't change my views on this subject. Without rehashing the woes of my upbringing, I'll say it was about as dysfunctional as can be imagined. It started with my mom beating me the day they brought me home from the hospital after my birth and it went downhill from there. There was zero nurturing in my life, but those adverse circumstances made me determined, strong, and capable. It was my goal to rise above it all, and I have. Everything I've attained was by my efforts, nobody did it for me, gave me anything, nor would I have accepted a handout.

Hi, Spin.

Mediatakeout | Facebook

Peace.

Avery, while I appreciate your years of serving as a police officer, the comment in your post about not changing my thoughts on this issue was correct. These precepts aren't some baseless ideas I dreamed up, they are based on real life experience. Without going into the woes of my upbringing, I will say life began by my mom beating me the day they brought me home from the hospital as a newborn and went downhill from there. Nurturing was non-existent. The circumstances of my upbringing gave me strength, determination, and capability. Nobody gave me anything, nor would I have accepted a handout. My goal was to succeed, on my own, and that's exactly what I set out to do, and accomplished it. I took complete control of my life and my education, sought out my desired employment path, had a very successful career, and achieved my dreams. I don't think I'm particularly special or unique, just driven. If you are complacent, your situation will never change. If you really want something to be different, you have to strive for it to be better. Improvement doesn't happen without effort, cost and investment. In short, you reap what you sow. If you plant weeds that's all you can expect, but plant you must or there will be nothing come harvest. Anyone can make it out of the quagmire if they want it badly enough. One must take responsibility is all, that simple. No excuses here, never have been, never will.

Spin, thanks for your reply. Obviously you overcame some horrific circumstances, learning to heal and enjoy the slice of life offered you, not allowing the pain and indignities of the past to prevent you from moving forward. You were blessed with a strong will.

As you know each of us is unique, with different tolerances for dealing with emotional and physical pain.

For instance despite having the opportunity to request a transfer after two years of working in Brooklyn, I remained for twelve years before concerns for my emotional and physical well being suggested it was time for me to leave for a more stable community.

Some cops I worked with spent thirty years in this same precinct without batting an eyelash at the daily mayhem (not an over exaggeration) they witnessed. Generally, these were the guys who made macabre comments or off color jokes about the madness and insanity they witnessed. There was no ill intent in their hearts, it was just their way of dealing with witnessing human pain and suffering.

While other cops could not submit a request for transfer fast enough as soon as they were eligible to find a safer, more sensible environment to work in.

The point is we humans all have varying tolerances for emotional pain and different ways of dealing with it.

Spin, I am glad to learn you looked forward. I am guessing despite your loathsome home environment, you went to public school and had friends who were not abused, friends or classmates whose 'normal' lives showed you how life should be, inspiring you to overcome the challenges placed in your way?

Kendrick Lamar speaks about growing up, witnessing many of his neighborhood friend's lives confined to a four block square area that many never leave.

Sadly many abused and neglected kids are not exposed to friends living safe, 'normal' lives so they have no real positive role model showing them a safe 'normal' life to aspire to.

Spin, I have to respectfully disagree with you, asserting I believe each person is unique with different and varying capacities for coping with the pain of an abusive childhood.

You were strong enough to overcome adversity, after enduring an abusive childhood Richard 'The Ice Man' Kuklinski decided he did not give a hoot about human life. We are all unique.

I hope this made sense. I think I need to take a break from the keyboard for a few hours. :lol:

Peace.

Peace to you too, Avery. I agree we all have our own individual strengths, weaknesses, fortitude, and tolerance level. Actually, while the other models in my childhood were not really glowing testimonials of normalcy, it did show me what I instinctively didn't want for my life and well being. I guess it's viewing the circumstances from the opposite side of the coin. I'm truly thankful for what I experienced, and am convinced I'm better for having weathered it. Struggles have a way of driving the lesson home like nothing else. Experience does seem to color your view of things. I find I don't have much empathy for the coddled and spoiled who've had everything handed to them yet whine about their situation and simply don't try. That's not to say I'm without compassion for others, I do, just show some initiative, please.

We thank you for the dozen years you spent serving as you did. That's one job I wouldn't want despite how well paid it might be. It had to have been extremely frustrating. Take care.

Forum List

Back