Of Mice and Men

Afraid of a jab, one third afraid of a jab.

No wonder Americans cannot win war anymore.

And how are the National Guardsmen passing the body fat tests?

They aren't afraid of the jab... They're afraid of the perceived unproven shit that is in it.

Yes, I am sure they think gravity is a conspiracy too.

Never going to win a war again.

The U.S. not winning wars has nothing to do with this or anything like it.

The U.S. doesn't win wars because it doesn't try to and hasn't since the nuclear age began.

It won the First Gulf War, all objectives achieved and with far less cost than we had anticipated, with the added wisdom not to expand the objectives and invade and occupy Iraq.

Bush the Elder was far more intelligent than his son.

But then I was in this war, no war has been won by the US since I left the military.

And no I cannot return to save you.
most modern wars are not total wars and /or do not have a clear winner
...you prove to know nothing about history
won:

you weren't in PG1-or else you have lost your mind

Indeed, even the Gulf War or Desert Storm as some call it was not a total war, the objections were limited to removing an occupying force from the territory of an ally not the removal of a regime and occupation of Iraq. Accomplished with far less loss than expected because Bush the Elder used overwhelming force and build the largest coalition since World War Two.

The failure in Afghanistan was a problem of American cultural navel-gazing and myopia, the policymakers never really bothered to understand the nature and history of that country. This is a growing problem with American culture writ large. Had America done so it would have realized the nation-building aspect of the war policy was doomed to failure, in point the idea that rural areas with various competing ethnic and religious groups with little acquaintance with modernity could be occupied and brought under the control of a central government in Kabul. As America learned the hard way that was never going to happen. Add to that America foolishly also turned it into an idiot war on drugs, attacking poppy production rather than co-opting such by purchasing such and more alienation followed. Americans never understood the complex ethnic rivalries, centuries-old that are in the very DNA of the nation.

Moving forward the best strategy is to maintain aid to the central government to hold cities (though they will always be under terror attack) and then do what the British Empire did so successfully after her failed invasions of Afghanistan, bribe or support any ethnic group not antithetical to American interests to fight those who are and then hunt with drone or special forces high profile figures dedicated to global jihad.

Keep a light profile in the rural areas.

The Iraq war was probably always doomed to failure no matter what the US did and it was never in US interests to pursue it in the first place as Saddam had basically been strategically neutered. But here, once again, it was American ignorance about other cultures that really turned it into a disaster. There seemed to be no comprehension whatsoever of the deep Sunni Shia divides which had been manifest through all of history. No reflection on how that could erupt as it did into mass religious bloodletting. Add to that the titanically stupid decision to disband the Iraq Army rather than decapitate the political leadership and use the army to help maintain control in occupation, as Iraqi junior officers offerred and boom! The US created an instant Sunni insurgency with a well-armed, disgruntled former army who had not been defeated but simply did not fight for Saddam. Indeed the US was so foolish they did not even secure mass explosives in army bases in the initial stages of occupation.

This is perhaps one of the most poorly thought out and ill-conceived occupations in the history of war.
.......you don't understand...you don't know shit about history or wars...a lot of times there are no clear winners or losers--ESPECIALLY in wars against terrorism/counter insurgency/etc
..so the US WILL NOT win a lot of wars--especially like in Afghanistan---HEY---Russia and the Brits did not win there either!!!!! = like I said, you--most people--don't know much about history or wars

Actually, if you read about it the British in the 19th century had several failed invasions, one so disastrous only one man and his horse made it back to British India. But subsequently, the British did control Afghanistan to her policy objectives, not through occupation but rather by supporting and bribing those ethnic groups which had no designs on the territory controlled by the British or alliances with Russia (who the British feared would control Afghanistan in 'The Great Game') The British wisely did not change strategic goals but rather tactics. They started a policy of no occupation but sending advisors and arming - bribing such groups not hostile to British policy to fight those groups who did have such designs.

The policy worked for decades.

And the US should have learned from such and rather than trying to turn Afghanistan into Switzerland had a much lighter if meaner footprint in the country.
........you still don't get it!!! hahhahahha
lighter footprint = nothing/do difference --no guaranteed win ...combat/war is not like making a cheese sandwich
--and you think that would WIN in Afghanistan??????!!!!!!!!?????

You are lost in a vedio game idea of war.

The term a win is meaningless in the long game of policy with such nonexistential wars.

The point is to achieve your policy objectives as the British did after their disastrous invasions. America can too if her policy objectives are rational, no nation-building and a considered view of just what are the objectives?

Pretty simple actually, never allow the country to be a refuge of global jihad supporting - bribing any group who has a beef with those harboring such ambitions, and there are many, and keep most cities and Kabul out of the hands of the Taliban. Though it will always be subject to a terror attack. This does not require the mass ground deployment nation-building or attempting to take rural territory does and can largely be achieved with technical assistance, military aid, and special forces - drones helping hunt international jihadists.
hahahhahahahah--YOU are a war gamer--thinking there is always a winner and loser

..I think you are full of shit---calling others afraid! IF you served, you were a POG--in the rear with the gear

Not only was I in the First Gulf War but I was in one of the first units deployed to the Saudi Border to contain a possible Iraqi invasion forward. I received both the Kuwait Liberation (Kuwait) and the Southwest Asia Service Medal in that conflict. I also served in a humanitarian role during the ethnic conflict in Bosnia for which I was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal, these being three of the total nine medals I earned in my military career.

You do not have to call me hero, I will whisper that to myself.

Oh and do not be jealous there Juice Harp, I am sure you won Employee of the Month once at Walmart.
yet you are bad mouthing the US military!!! = you are a fake

Blind subservience is not my strong suit in equal measure to how honesty is.

I actually find no pleasure in the last two decades of American military failure and given the rise of China the American military will be indispensable in the Pacific region. Naval power has to date revealed none of the strategy failures concerning occupation in ground wars thankfully.

Any wise military mind is very self-critical about past failures and learns from them.

And first order of business for the National Guard, more PT and salads less KFC.
General Jake-Mr Perfect= hahahhahahahahahahahahahah

Juice Harp you have to work on your melody.

Speaking of Generals I served reporting directly to two Marine Generals while serving in Bosnia, (they were based in Napoli) James Jones who later became President Obama's National Security Advisor. (He was a real prick and when appointed to NSC Cheif I knew he would not last, he was too self-absorbed even for politics) and General Edward Hanlon, who was an amazing leader and wise one.

The latter awarded me the Joint Service Commendation Medal.

Don't call me hero, I was just doing my job Juicy.

Just doing my job.

And gloriously I did it.
sure they did--sure
hahahhahahahahahahahahah
so fkn what??
LBJ was awarded the Silver Star for doing nothing!!!

LBJ had a very long shlong, perhaps he lifted the morale of many a Marine?

They aren't afraid of the jab... They're afraid of the perceived unproven shit that is in it.

Yes, I am sure they think gravity is a conspiracy too.

Never going to win a war again.

The U.S. not winning wars has nothing to do with this or anything like it.

The U.S. doesn't win wars because it doesn't try to and hasn't since the nuclear age began.

It won the First Gulf War, all objectives achieved and with far less cost than we had anticipated, with the added wisdom not to expand the objectives and invade and occupy Iraq.

Bush the Elder was far more intelligent than his son.

But then I was in this war, no war has been won by the US since I left the military.

And no I cannot return to save you.
most modern wars are not total wars and /or do not have a clear winner
...you prove to know nothing about history
won:

you weren't in PG1-or else you have lost your mind

Indeed, even the Gulf War or Desert Storm as some call it was not a total war, the objections were limited to removing an occupying force from the territory of an ally not the removal of a regime and occupation of Iraq. Accomplished with far less loss than expected because Bush the Elder used overwhelming force and build the largest coalition since World War Two.

The failure in Afghanistan was a problem of American cultural navel-gazing and myopia, the policymakers never really bothered to understand the nature and history of that country. This is a growing problem with American culture writ large. Had America done so it would have realized the nation-building aspect of the war policy was doomed to failure, in point the idea that rural areas with various competing ethnic and religious groups with little acquaintance with modernity could be occupied and brought under the control of a central government in Kabul. As America learned the hard way that was never going to happen. Add to that America foolishly also turned it into an idiot war on drugs, attacking poppy production rather than co-opting such by purchasing such and more alienation followed. Americans never understood the complex ethnic rivalries, centuries-old that are in the very DNA of the nation.

Moving forward the best strategy is to maintain aid to the central government to hold cities (though they will always be under terror attack) and then do what the British Empire did so successfully after her failed invasions of Afghanistan, bribe or support any ethnic group not antithetical to American interests to fight those who are and then hunt with drone or special forces high profile figures dedicated to global jihad.

Keep a light profile in the rural areas.

The Iraq war was probably always doomed to failure no matter what the US did and it was never in US interests to pursue it in the first place as Saddam had basically been strategically neutered. But here, once again, it was American ignorance about other cultures that really turned it into a disaster. There seemed to be no comprehension whatsoever of the deep Sunni Shia divides which had been manifest through all of history. No reflection on how that could erupt as it did into mass religious bloodletting. Add to that the titanically stupid decision to disband the Iraq Army rather than decapitate the political leadership and use the army to help maintain control in occupation, as Iraqi junior officers offerred and boom! The US created an instant Sunni insurgency with a well-armed, disgruntled former army who had not been defeated but simply did not fight for Saddam. Indeed the US was so foolish they did not even secure mass explosives in army bases in the initial stages of occupation.

This is perhaps one of the most poorly thought out and ill-conceived occupations in the history of war.
.......you don't understand...you don't know shit about history or wars...a lot of times there are no clear winners or losers--ESPECIALLY in wars against terrorism/counter insurgency/etc
..so the US WILL NOT win a lot of wars--especially like in Afghanistan---HEY---Russia and the Brits did not win there either!!!!! = like I said, you--most people--don't know much about history or wars

Actually, if you read about it the British in the 19th century had several failed invasions, one so disastrous only one man and his horse made it back to British India. But subsequently, the British did control Afghanistan to her policy objectives, not through occupation but rather by supporting and bribing those ethnic groups which had no designs on the territory controlled by the British or alliances with Russia (who the British feared would control Afghanistan in 'The Great Game') The British wisely did not change strategic goals but rather tactics. They started a policy of no occupation but sending advisors and arming - bribing such groups not hostile to British policy to fight those groups who did have such designs.

The policy worked for decades.

And the US should have learned from such and rather than trying to turn Afghanistan into Switzerland had a much lighter if meaner footprint in the country.
........you still don't get it!!! hahhahahha
lighter footprint = nothing/do difference --no guaranteed win ...combat/war is not like making a cheese sandwich
--and you think that would WIN in Afghanistan??????!!!!!!!!?????

You are lost in a vedio game idea of war.

The term a win is meaningless in the long game of policy with such nonexistential wars.

The point is to achieve your policy objectives as the British did after their disastrous invasions. America can too if her policy objectives are rational, no nation-building and a considered view of just what are the objectives?

Pretty simple actually, never allow the country to be a refuge of global jihad supporting - bribing any group who has a beef with those harboring such ambitions, and there are many, and keep most cities and Kabul out of the hands of the Taliban. Though it will always be subject to a terror attack. This does not require the mass ground deployment nation-building or attempting to take rural territory does and can largely be achieved with technical assistance, military aid, and special forces - drones helping hunt international jihadists.
hahahhahahahah--YOU are a war gamer--thinking there is always a winner and loser

Perhaps you should read the posts again.

I know there is a lot of nuance in there so take a week or so and sound out the vowels.

..I think you are full of shit---calling others afraid! IF you served, you were a POG--in the rear with the gear

Not only was I in the First Gulf War but I was in one of the first units deployed to the Saudi Border to contain a possible Iraqi invasion forward. I received both the Kuwait Liberation (Kuwait) and the Southwest Asia Service Medal in that conflict. I also served in a humanitarian role during the ethnic conflict in Bosnia for which I was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal, these being three of the total nine medals I earned in my military career.

Oh and do not be jealous there Juice Harp, I am sure you won Employee of the Month once at Walmart.

I actually find no pleasure in the last two decades of American military failure and given the rise of China the American military will be indispensable in the Pacific region. Naval power has to date revealed none of the strategy failures concerning occupation in ground wars thankfully.

Any wise military mind is very self-critical about past failures and learns from them.

And first order of business for the National Guard, more PT and salads less KFC.

Speaking of Generals I served reporting directly to two Marine Generals while serving in Bosnia, (they were based in Napoli) James Jones who later became President Obama's National Security Advisor. (He was a real prick and when appointed to NSC Cheif I knew he would not last, he was too self-absorbed even for politics) and General Edward Hanlon, who was an amazing leader and wise one.

Just doing my job.

And gloriously I did it.
sure they did--sure
hahahhahahahahahahahahah
so fkn what??

..what a very mature post--like your others

Just doing my job.

And gloriously I did it.
sure they did--sure
hahahhahahahahahahahahah
so fkn what??

..what a very mature post--like your others

LBJ actually did have a very Great Society in his trousers, he was well known for it.

"The Johnson Treatment".

They really did not teach your generation any history did they?

Forum List

Back