Obamcare (the ACA) was taken from the Heritage Foundation in 1989

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
From Fox, you conservatives love Fox , no? (side not Trump was all for universal healthcare in 2001)

politics

Individual health care insurance mandate has roots two decades long

Published June 28, 2012

FoxNews.com

The controversial individual mandate that was upheld Thursday by the U.S. Supreme Court stems back more than 20 years, believed to have originated with a prominent conservative think tank.

The mandate, requiring every American to purchase health insurance, appeared in a 1989 published proposal by Stuart M. Butler of the conservative Heritage Foundation called "Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans," which included a provision to "mandate all households to obtain adequate insurance."

The Heritage Foundation "substantially revised" its proposal four years later, according to a 1994 analysis by the Congressional Budget Office. But the idea of an individual health insurance mandate later appeared in two bills introduced by Republican lawmakers in 1993, according to the non-partisan research group ProCon.org. Among the supporters of the bills were senators Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who today oppose the mandate under current law.

In 2006, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who was then governor of Massachusetts, signed off on a law requiring individuals of the state to purchase health insurance. American Bridge 21st Century, a Democratic opposition research group, on Wednesday released a 2006 video in which Romney says he is “very pleased” with the mandate.

“With regards to the individual mandate, the individual responsibility program that I proposed, I was very pleased that the compromise between the two houses includes the personal responsibility mandate. That is essential for bringing the health care costs down for everyone and getting everyone the health insurance they need," Romney says in the video.

In 2007, a bi-partisan Senate bill authored by Senators Bob Bennett, R-Utah, and Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, contained a mandate. In 2009, however, Republican senators declared such a provision “unconstitutional.”

Individual health care insurance mandate has roots two decades long | Fox News

http://www.heritage.org/research/lecture/assuring-affordable-health-care-for-all-americans

Obamacare stole from a Republican Think Tank , (priceless)

If only those GOP front runners only knew.:eek:
:lmao::lmao::lol:

ok and what does this prove? you act like you won something. SO WHAT?

you're can take your fox and shove it

WHO ENACTED it on us?

you're just playing silly stuff

Last edited:
snip:
Vote Results: House Passes Obamacare
Benjamin Domenech
July 7, 2011

The final vote tally for the Senate version of President Obama's health care reform legislation in the House was 219-212, with 34 Democrats joining all Republicans in opposition.

The key takeaway for opposition groups is that Speaker Pelosi needed to make a last-day deal with Rep. Bart Stupak and his small group of pro-life Democrats in order to achieve passage. That deal came in the form of an executive order from the White House, which we explained here. Democrats who opposed were:

all of it here:
Vote Results: House Passes Obamacare | Heartland Institute

the op is to much of a partisan HACK to read their stuff. they post something FROM 20 YEARS AGO like it's suppose to mean something. who can take them serious?

snip:
Benjamin Domenech
July 7, 2011

The final vote tally for the Senate version of President Obama's health care reform legislation in the House was 219-212, with 34 Democrats joining all Republicans in opposition.

The key takeaway for opposition groups is that Speaker Pelosi needed to make a last-day deal with Rep. Bart Stupak and his small group of pro-life Democrats in order to achieve passage. That deal came in the form of an executive order from the White House, which we explained here. Democrats who opposed were:

all of it here:

Taken right from the Heritage Foundation. It been a long time coming.

the op is to much of a partisan HACK to read their stuff. they post something FROM 20 YEARS AGO like it's suppose to mean something. who can take them serious?

Oh so upset, send this info to your favorite GOP candidate and tell them.

"the op is to much of a partisan HACK to read their stuff"- says by far the biggest "HACK" on USMB.
Stephanie also likes to bash posters continuously for using partisan resources, but what does Stephanie continuously for resources? Hyper-partisan resources!

hypocrisy
play
noun hy·poc·ri·sy \hi-ˈpä-krə-sē also hī-\
Simple Definition of hypocrisy
Popularity: Top 1% of lookups
  • : the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel
Stephanie is the Queen Of Hypocrisy! And everybody knows it. :2up:

If you want the OTHER SIDE and the truth. here ya go. it doesn't matter to me because OScamnoCare was shoved on you by the Democrat party with LIES and mistruths.

snip:

Column: Don't blame Heritage for ObamaCare mandate
By Stuart Butler
Updated 2/6/2012 10:40 AM

Is the individual mandate at the heart of "ObamaCare" a conservative idea? Is it constitutional? And was it invented at The Heritage Foundation? In a word, no.

• By Kate Patterson, USA TODAY

Stuart Butler

Sponsored Links
USATODAY OPINION

Columns

In addition to its own editorials, USA TODAY publishes a variety of opinions from outside writers. On political and policy matters, we publish opinions from across the political spectrum.

Roughly half of our columns come from our Board of Contributors, a group whose interests range from education to religion to sports to the economy. Their charge is to chronicle American culture by telling the stories, large and small, that collectively make us what we are.

We also publish weekly columns by Al Neuharth, USA TODAY's founder, and DeWayne Wickham, who writes primarily on matters of race but on other subjects as well. That leaves plenty of room for other views from across the nation by well-known and lesser-known names alike.

The U.S. Supreme Court will put the middle issue to rest. The answers to the first and last can come from me. After all, I headed Heritage's health work for 30 years. And make no mistake: Heritage and I actively oppose the individual mandate, including in an amicus brief filed in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to the Supreme Court.

Nevertheless, the myth persists. ObamaCare "adopts the 'individual mandate' concept from the conservative Heritage Foundation," Jonathan Alter wrote recently in The Washington Post. MSNBC's Chris Matthews makes the same claim, asserting that Republican support of a mandate "has its roots in a proposal by the conservative Heritage Foundation." Former House speaker Nancy Pelosi and others have made similar claims.

The confusion arises from the fact that 20 years ago, I held the view that as a technical matter, some form of requirement to purchase insurance was needed in a near-universal insurance market to avoid massive instability through "adverse selection" (insurers avoiding bad risks and healthy people declining coverage). At that time, President Clinton was proposing a universal health care plan, and Heritage and I devised a viable alternative.

My view was shared at the time by many conservative experts, including American Enterprise Institute (AEI) scholars, as well as most non-conservative analysts. Even libertarian-conservative icon Milton Friedman, in a 1991 Wall Street Journal article, advocated replacing Medicare and Medicaid "with a requirement that every U.S. family unit have a major medical insurance policy."

My idea was hardly new. Heritage did not invent the individual mandate.

But the version of the health insurance mandate Heritage and I supported in the 1990s had three critical features.

First, it was not primarily intended to push people to obtain protection for their own good, but to protect others. Like auto damage liability insurance required in most states, our requirement focused on "catastrophic" costs — so hospitals and taxpayers would not have to foot the bill for the expensive illness or accident of someone who did not buy insurance.

Second, we sought to induce people to buy coverage primarily through the carrot of a generous health credit or voucher, financed in part by a fundamental reform of the tax treatment of health coverage, rather than by a stick.

And third, in the legislation we helped craft that ultimately became a preferred alternative to ClintonCare, the "mandate" was actually the loss of certain tax breaks for those not choosing to buy coverage, not a legal requirement.

So why the change in this position in the past 20 years?

First, health research and advances in economic analysis have convinced people like me that an insurance mandate isn't needed to achieve stable, near-universal coverage. For example, the new field of behavioral economics taught me that default auto-enrollment in employer or nonemployer insurance plans can lead many people to buy coverage without a requirement.

Also, advances in "risk adjustment" tools are improving the stability of voluntary insurance. And Heritage-funded research on federal employees' coverage — which has no mandate — caused me to conclude we had made a mistake in the 1990s. That's why we believe that President Obama and others are dead wrong about the need for a mandate.

all of it here:

"the op is to much of a partisan HACK to read their stuff"- says by far the biggest "HACK" on USMB.
Stephanie also likes to bash posters continuously for using partisan resources, but what does Stephanie continuously for resources? Hyper-partisan resources!

hypocrisy
play
  • : the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel

gawd you've been reduced to nothing more than a troll. it's a sad state I must let you know. the two of you are hypocrites and pathetic all rolled into one

If you want the OTHER SIDE and the truth. here ya go. it doesn't matter to me because OScamnoCare was shoved on you by the Democrat party with LIES and mistruths.

snip:

By Stuart Butler
Updated 2/6/2012 10:40 AM
Is the individual mandate at the heart of "ObamaCare" a conservative idea? Is it constitutional? And was it invented at The Heritage Foundation? In a word, no.

• By Kate Patterson, USA TODAY

Stuart Butler

Sponsored Links
USATODAY OPINION

Columns

In addition to its own editorials, USA TODAY publishes a variety of opinions from outside writers. On political and policy matters, we publish opinions from across the political spectrum.

Roughly half of our columns come from our Board of Contributors, a group whose interests range from education to religion to sports to the economy. Their charge is to chronicle American culture by telling the stories, large and small, that collectively make us what we are.

We also publish weekly columns by Al Neuharth, USA TODAY's founder, and DeWayne Wickham, who writes primarily on matters of race but on other subjects as well. That leaves plenty of room for other views from across the nation by well-known and lesser-known names alike.

The U.S. Supreme Court will put the middle issue to rest. The answers to the first and last can come from me. After all, I headed Heritage's health work for 30 years. And make no mistake: Heritage and I actively oppose the individual mandate, including in an amicus brief filed in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to the Supreme Court.

Nevertheless, the myth persists. ObamaCare "adopts the 'individual mandate' concept from the conservative Heritage Foundation," Jonathan Alter wrote recently in The Washington Post. MSNBC's Chris Matthews makes the same claim, asserting that Republican support of a mandate "has its roots in a proposal by the conservative Heritage Foundation." Former House speaker Nancy Pelosi and others have made similar claims.

The confusion arises from the fact that 20 years ago, I held the view that as a technical matter, some form of requirement to purchase insurance was needed in a near-universal insurance market to avoid massive instability through "adverse selection" (insurers avoiding bad risks and healthy people declining coverage). At that time, President Clinton was proposing a universal health care plan, and Heritage and I devised a viable alternative.

My view was shared at the time by many conservative experts, including American Enterprise Institute (AEI) scholars, as well as most non-conservative analysts. Even libertarian-conservative icon Milton Friedman, in a 1991 Wall Street Journal article, advocated replacing Medicare and Medicaid "with a requirement that every U.S. family unit have a major medical insurance policy."

My idea was hardly new. Heritage did not invent the individual mandate.

But the version of the health insurance mandate Heritage and I supported in the 1990s had three critical features.

First, it was not primarily intended to push people to obtain protection for their own good, but to protect others. Like auto damage liability insurance required in most states, our requirement focused on "catastrophic" costs — so hospitals and taxpayers would not have to foot the bill for the expensive illness or accident of someone who did not buy insurance.

Second, we sought to induce people to buy coverage primarily through the carrot of a generous health credit or voucher, financed in part by a fundamental reform of the tax treatment of health coverage, rather than by a stick.

And third, in the legislation we helped craft that ultimately became a preferred alternative to ClintonCare, the "mandate" was actually the loss of certain tax breaks for those not choosing to buy coverage, not a legal requirement.

So why the change in this position in the past 20 years?

First, health research and advances in economic analysis have convinced people like me that an insurance mandate isn't needed to achieve stable, near-universal coverage. For example, the new field of behavioral economics taught me that default auto-enrollment in employer or nonemployer insurance plans can lead many people to buy coverage without a requirement.

Also, advances in "risk adjustment" tools are improving the stability of voluntary insurance. And Heritage-funded research on federal employees' coverage — which has no mandate — caused me to conclude we had made a mistake in the 1990s. That's why we believe that President Obama and others are dead wrong about the need for a mandate.

all of it here:

The link I gave you is from the man himself, from the Heritage Foundation. Please read it, or not. I don't care, but just because he changed his mind as he said, its too bad for him. I have read you article above.

hypocrisy
play

gawd you've been reduced to nothing more than a troll. it's a sad state I must let you know. the two of you are hypocrites and pathetic all rolled into one

Its been coming for a long long time, and its here to stay, get use to it.

I doubt that OBAMA CARE will persist in anything close to its present form

snip:
Benjamin Domenech
July 7, 2011

all of it here:

Taken right from the Heritage Foundation. It been a long time coming.
They want it back. Obama screwed it up.

From Fox, you conservatives love Fox , no? (side not Trump was all for universal healthcare in 2001)

politics

Individual health care insurance mandate has roots two decades long

Published June 28, 2012

FoxNews.com

The controversial individual mandate that was upheld Thursday by the U.S. Supreme Court stems back more than 20 years, believed to have originated with a prominent conservative think tank.

The mandate, requiring every American to purchase health insurance, appeared in a 1989 published proposal by Stuart M. Butler of the conservative Heritage Foundation called "Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans," which included a provision to "mandate all households to obtain adequate insurance."

The Heritage Foundation "substantially revised" its proposal four years later, according to a 1994 analysis by the Congressional Budget Office. But the idea of an individual health insurance mandate later appeared in two bills introduced by Republican lawmakers in 1993, according to the non-partisan research group ProCon.org. Among the supporters of the bills were senators Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who today oppose the mandate under current law.

In 2006, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who was then governor of Massachusetts, signed off on a law requiring individuals of the state to purchase health insurance. American Bridge 21st Century, a Democratic opposition research group, on Wednesday released a 2006 video in which Romney says he is “very pleased” with the mandate.

“With regards to the individual mandate, the individual responsibility program that I proposed, I was very pleased that the compromise between the two houses includes the personal responsibility mandate. That is essential for bringing the health care costs down for everyone and getting everyone the health insurance they need," Romney says in the video.

In 2007, a bi-partisan Senate bill authored by Senators Bob Bennett, R-Utah, and Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, contained a mandate. In 2009, however, Republican senators declared such a provision “unconstitutional.”

Individual health care insurance mandate has roots two decades long | Fox News

http://www.heritage.org/research/lecture/assuring-affordable-health-care-for-all-americans

Obamacare stole from a Republican Think Tank , (priceless)

If only those GOP front runners only knew.:eek:
:lmao::lmao::lol:

This is why I think it's foolish for opponents of ACA to vote Republican with the expectation that Republicans will make any substantial change to ACA.

Obviously, there's more to the story than the Democrats will acknowledge. But the truth or falsity of the claim don't even really matter. If it truly was a "Republican idea", then why in holy fuck did Democrats legislate it????

Obviously, there's more to the story than the Democrats will acknowledge. But the truth or falsity of the claim don't even really matter. If it truly was a "Republican idea", then why in holy fuck did Democrats legislate it????

Because Bush was too busy with a war , and Rep never seem to get anything done except lowering taxes at the top income.

Last edited:

Because Bush was too busy with a war , and Rep never seem to get anything done except lowering taxes at the top income.

Huh? I was why the Democrats did what they did? They were elected, arguably, as a rejecting of Republican policies. Why did they pass Republican legislation?

Forum List

Back