Obama's Eulogy for the Miners...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
I've seen it, the strength of that community. In the days that followed the disaster, e-mails and letters poured into the White House. Postmarked from different places, they often began the same way: "I am proud to be from a family of miners," "I am the son of a coal miner," "I am proud to be a coal miner's daughter." They were always proud. They asked me to keep our miners in my thoughts, and my prayers. Never forget, they say, miners keep America's lights on. And then in these letters they make a simple plea: Don't let this happen again. Don't let this happen again.

How can we fail them? How can a nation that relies on its miners not do everything in its power to protect them? How can we let anyone in this country put their lives at risk by simply showing up to work; by simply pursuing the American dream?

We cannot bring back the 29 men we lost. They are with the Lord now. Our task, here on Earth, is to save lives from being lost in another such tragedy. To do what we must do, individually and collectively, to assure safe conditions underground. To treat our miners like they treat each other - like a family. Because we are all family, and we are all Americans. And we have to lean on one another and look out for one another and love one another and pray for one another.

Obama's Eulogy at W. Va. Miners' Memorial - CBS News

I am not Surprised by this...

But as Veiled as it was, it still left a Bad Taste...

I was wondering if anyone else who Heard it was made just a little Uncomfortable by it.

Not just the Mild Politicking for Miner's "Safety" in this Venue, but also Barry's Anti-Coal Agenda that wasn't so Hidden in 2008 and before.

Also, those who are for Removing any and all References of God from Government, are you Tired of Hearing Barry Constantly Referring to God?...

In this Context, of course it's Appropriate, and I don't have an Issue with it, but I am Certain there are Separation of Church and Stater's who can't Stand it when he gets all Preachy.

What say you?

:)

peace...

His speechwriters were in tune with the audience. Whether they put in all the God references or Obama requested it, he still had to approve it.

Well, to make a couple of comments out of many to come from others I can see what I think is one error, in my opinion, from one of the statements.

Most days, they would emerge from the dark mine, squinting at the light.
Most days, they would emerge, sweaty and dirty and dusted with coal.
Most days, they'd come home. But not that day.

I would think the miners would emerge from these tasks Everyday, instead of using 'Most Days'.

I guess I am being too picky and am not the world's best orator/speechwriter myself so probably have no business criticizing some professional speechwriter, but it appeared not quite right to me.

Without going through the Psalm, "Valley of death" etc I think it should have been shorter and to the point without drifting, as I am doing right now.

He did show up at least. I think all of us feel a loss to varying degrees when any tragedy occurs to others, here or anywhere else.
Oh one more thing from his comments.........
How can we fail them? How can a nation that relies on its miners not do everything in its power to protect them? How can we let anyone in this country put their lives at risk by simply showing up to work; by simply pursuing the American dream?

How can we let anyone in this country put their lives at risk by simply showing up to work
Gee I suddenly think of the Military, Law enforcement, border patrol, Taxi Drivers and dozens of other jobs,where were his comments and concerns all along?

Well, it's NOT about just the miners that the government wants to protect, they want to protect ALL of US by passing laws that will constrict our abilities to perform 100% while we wade through waist high red tape.All in the name of Health- Safety- and For 'our' general welfare of course. Okay I am done for now, too much multitasking and my comments start to ramble and get disconnected.

Had he not shown up for the funeral, you fellows would have been all over him. No matter what President Obama does, right or wrong, you will fault it.

Our task, here on Earth, is to save lives from being lost in another such tragedy.

What if a tragedy happens on another planet besides Earth? What if it happens in space? And what other planets has Obama visited?

Funny how a guy who never did a hard day's labor in his life is trying to connect with people who do.

People who Depend on this Industry... An Industry he wants to Bankrupt.

peace...

oh no! the horror!! he has the nerve to want coal companies to follow safety laws instead of piling up violations!!!

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Funny how a guy who never did a hard day's labor in his life is trying to connect with people who do.

People who Depend on this Industry... An Industry he wants to Bankrupt.

peace...

oh no! the horror!! he has the nerve to want coal companies to follow safety laws instead of piling up violations!!!

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Who doesn't?...

Time and Place... He seems to NOT Know the Difference.

peace...

Does a Priest, Pastor or Rabbi perform hard labor? But their profession is to console those who do.

This was a national tragedy, For the President of the United States to offer condolences is highly appropriate. For people to turn it into a political attack is highly inappropriate

What a bunch of totally classless assholes infect USMB.

I just got a mirror and looked at my asshole, and your right, it is clASSless.If however I am included in the overall conclusion drawn, I thank you, if not I guess I'll have to try harder.:D

Just when you thought the hacks couldn't get any more pathetic with their attacks on Obama, this thread comes along. Give me a break. The same assholes criticizing him here would be the ones criticizing if he didn't attend. Pathetic, truly pathetic.

Please, find real reasons and actions of Obama to criticize

Obama is such a phony and the most classless person I have ever seen.

all this was another photo opt for him to push for his cap and tax agenda.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back