Obama’s “Career Killer” Overtime Rules Blasted by Businesses

And BTW - this was "too little - too late" from Corporate's Buddy and Pal Obama.
I guess after giving the elite's everything they could possibly dream of for the past seven years - they must have let him pass a little initiative for good face.

I actually agree with that.

Obama may be just trying to shore up his legacy, but this should have been proposed and accomplished long ago.
Possibly so, but I suspect there are enough gop senators who'd support it that it could easily have passed there, but the more reactionary House wouldn't even take it up for a vote. A law would have been better, but there is no compromise anymore.

With respect my friend .. Good politicians fight for a better society. They don't just make excuses.

Obama is not a progressive, never has been, never claimed to be. He's a corporatist and he governs like one.
Obama is a progressive and governs like one. You might want to ask people in coal mining, banking, auto lending, and internet whether Obama is a corporatist or not.

Obama is an absolute corporatist. Good lord.
As is Hillary...only she is worse.

The Great and powerful Obama knows better...because he was a Community Organizer, 1/2-term Senator, never ran a business, has no business experience...but he has spoken!
He's not a doctor, he has medical advisors. He's not an army general, he has army generals. He's not a business owner, he has business advisors.

You don't need to be a painter to support the arts, or know good artwork.
You need some foundation for deciding whether your advisors are giving you sound advice or not. Do you automatically do whatever your doctor or lawyer tells you?

And BTW - this was "too little - too late" from Corporate's Buddy and Pal Obama.
I guess after giving the elite's everything they could possibly dream of for the past seven years - they must have let him pass a little initiative for good face.

Obama may be just trying to shore up his legacy, but this should have been proposed and accomplished long ago.
Possibly so, but I suspect there are enough gop senators who'd support it that it could easily have passed there, but the more reactionary House wouldn't even take it up for a vote. A law would have been better, but there is no compromise anymore.

With respect my friend .. Good politicians fight for a better society. They don't just make excuses.

Obama is not a progressive, never has been, never claimed to be. He's a corporatist and he governs like one.
Obama is a progressive and governs like one. You might want to ask people in coal mining, banking, auto lending, and internet whether Obama is a corporatist or not.

You keep using that word but it doesnt mean what you think it means.

:0) Obama made himself known as a corporatist from the moment he walked into the White House door.

Barney Frank: Obama Rejected Bush Administration Concession to Write Down Mortgages
Barney Frank: Obama Rejected Bush Administration Concession to Write Down Mortgages | naked capitalism

Obama is so far up Big Pharma's ass that he betrayed progressives and reached for a healthcare plan drafted by the uber-conservative Heritage Foundation instead of reaching for a better healthcare solution.

Obama has quite possibly smoked more marijuana than any president in White House history. Don't believe that .. SEE: Choom Gang

Roof hits ..
enhanced-buzz-4628-1337116372-0.jpg

In spite of his history, he turned his back on youth and marijuana supporters that he courted when he ran for president .. AND, he had more marijuana arrests then Bush who he campaigned against for having them.

I could go on .. and on .. and on ..

Oh yeah, that's Hillary to a tee. 2008 dem primary was the corporatist v. the black elitist. But what was truly delightful was the notion Obama, the grandson of a white banker, was gonna hate on capital. The disillusion from 2008 was .... sweet.

My daughter now couldn't care whether Hillary or Trump wins, she just wants Bernie to go far far away. LOL

Last edited:
Obama does believe he's our dicktator and if he just snaps his fingers that we are all going to bow at his feet. I think he saw in his first Term when the People took control of Congress from his nasty thuggish self we the people don't plan on bowing to him and his tyrants he's put on us in every government agency. that's why we need a Republican to become President to tear apart every EO, memorandum, laws he just made up on his own etc. we want NOTHING left of him and his nasty immorality in our lives. go vote out this progressive party and never vote for them to hold power over us again

:0) Obama made himself known as a corporatist from the moment he walked into the White House door.

Barney Frank: Obama Rejected Bush Administration Concession to Write Down Mortgages
Barney Frank: Obama Rejected Bush Administration Concession to Write Down Mortgages | naked capitalism

Obama is so far up Big Pharma's ass that he betrayed progressives and reached for a healthcare plan drafted by the uber-conservative Heritage Foundation instead of reaching for a better healthcare solution.

Obama has quite possibly smoked more marijuana than any president in White House history. Don't believe that .. SEE: Choom Gang

Roof hits ..

In spite of his history, he turned his back on youth and marijuana supporters that he courted when he ran for president.

You must be black because even white people aren't this stupid.
Obama did not reach for any health care reform, much less one put out by Heritage. In truth Congressional Democrats drafted the plan, advised by Gruber, while Obama pretty much looked on. The final form of ACA was nothing at all like anything that appeared in an article in Heritage, which was not their proposal but that of one person, who has since pointed out how different they are.
Smoking dope doesn't make someone a corporatist. And given his administration's pounding of various industries and over regulating he is definitely a progressive.

You keep using that word but it doesnt mean what you think it means.

Haha...pretty funny.

Of course he's a corporatist. Actually, he's more an elitist. But he's never really been a progressive who hangs around actual workers. But, I don't think he's a Johnny Come Lately to this issue. Frankly, it's not really an elitist, corporatist or progressive issue. Everyone agrees wages are too low, we lack sufficient consumer demand, and income inequality is not good. The question is what to do about it.

I think it's more that at this point he has no legislative agenda. There were hopes compromise could be found on corp taxes and various biz issues, including immigration, after the 2012 election, but the gop backed away from earlier positions. So, one by one, he's ticking off items that he can move on without any compromise.

I agree with that statement. Obama is doing what is painless .. while trying to shore up his legacy as some kind of progressive .. that doesn't exist.

Obama has made a career out of hiding behind what republicans supposedly won't let him do .. and often blames republicans for his own corporatist ideas .. like Sequestration.

The Great and powerful Obama knows better...because he was a Community Organizer, 1/2-term Senator, never ran a business, has no business experience...but he has spoken!
He's not a doctor, he has medical advisors. He's not an army general, he has army generals. He's not a business owner, he has business advisors.

You need some foundation for deciding whether your advisors are giving you sound advice or not. Do you automatically do whatever your doctor or lawyer tells you?
He is more than smart enough to figure that out. And my doctors and lawyers usually do what I recommend, that's what they pay me for.

Roof hits ..

In spite of his history, he turned his back on youth and marijuana supporters that he courted when he ran for president.

Obama did not reach for any health care reform, much less one put out by Heritage. In truth Congressional Democrats drafted the plan, advised by Gruber, while Obama pretty much looked on. The final form of ACA was nothing at all like anything that appeared in an article in Heritage, which was not their proposal but that of one person, who has since pointed out how different they are.
Smoking dope doesn't make someone a corporatist. And given his administration's pounding of various industries and over regulating he is definitely a progressive.

and they are supposed to be so intelligent. they've been spewing that lie forever hoping it sticks. as we see it did on them the most dishonest people and it's all for a PARTY and one MAN who puts his pants on one leg at a time the same as the rest of us

He is more than smart enough to figure that out. And my doctors and lawyers usually do what I recommend, that's what they pay me for.
Clearly not, as he contradicts his own advisors sometimes, like on the Iraq withdrawal, or allows them to push disasterous policies. Like this one.

Clearly not, as he contradicts his own advisors sometimes, like on the Iraq withdrawal, or allows them to push disasterous policies. Like this one.
He is the President. In the end that's his call. You elect a man, not a god.

Of course he's a corporatist. Actually, he's more an elitist. But he's never really been a progressive who hangs around actual workers. But, I don't think he's a Johnny Come Lately to this issue. Frankly, it's not really an elitist, corporatist or progressive issue. Everyone agrees wages are too low, we lack sufficient consumer demand, and income inequality is not good. The question is what to do about it.

I think it's more that at this point he has no legislative agenda. There were hopes compromise could be found on corp taxes and various biz issues, including immigration, after the 2012 election, but the gop backed away from earlier positions. So, one by one, he's ticking off items that he can move on without any compromise.

I agree with that statement. Obama is doing what is painless .. while trying to shore up his legacy as some kind of progressive .. that doesn't exist.

Obama has made a career out of hiding behind what republicans supposedly won't let him do .. and often blames republicans for his own corporatist ideas .. like Sequestration.

Obama has been the greatest trickle down economics President this country has ever seen. No one else even comes close. No progressive would continue to provide the richest corporations and the central banks $70 Billion a month despite the fact they have enjoyed record profits.

It's embarrassing to see adults grovel at the feet of a politician. These dem/lefies are all big and bad when it's Republican in as President. but watching them turn into meek little mousse once Obama go in office. is cringe worthy and makes my skin crawl

In the fast food and retail industries in particular, many workers have missed out on this because they’re deemed “managers” – they work long hours but are paid little more than the people they supervise.

Under the new rules, first released in draft form last summer, the annual salary threshold at which companies can deny overtime pay will be doubled from $23,660 to nearly $47,500.

That means a fast-food manager making $14 an hour – or roughly $30,000 a year – would now be eligible for overtime for those extra hours.

So, what does this REALLY mean? Businesses are there to make $$$$ for their owners and investors. Increase personnel costs and the bottom line goes into the potty. What do you think those in charge will do?

They have 2 choices:

Increase costs – and lose customers

salaried workers will be converted to hourly ones

Read the story @ 'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

Experts say Obama’s overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard @ Experts say Obama's overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard - Watchdog.org

Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers @ Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers

Businesses have been promoting hourly workers to "managers" to exploit the no overtime for management rule, and get cheap labor. It's long past time to put a stop to it. The ceiling hasn't been increased since the 1970's and should be raised.

If you're not making over $40K per year, you don't need to be working for free, you need to get paid for those hours.

Roof hits ..

:0) Right-wingers are easy. I beat them up all the time.

Both Romneycare and Obamacare take from the Heritage Foundation plan .. which was actually a plan to divert from what was known as 'Hillarycare.'

If you don't know that, obviously white people are that stupid.

How the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative Think Tank, Promoted the Individual Mandate
How the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative Think Tank, Promoted the Individual Mandate

The irony of Republican disapproval of Obamacare
The Democrat's version of health insurance would have been cheaper, simpler and more popular. But we enacted the Republican version. So why are they so upset? Because it an achievement for the Obama administration.
The irony of Republican disapproval of Obamacare

And unless reading comprehension a serious problem for you, I'd suggest that it should be pretty easy to see that I never suggested that smoking weed makes one a corporatist. Betrayal for corporate interests does.

The only problem I see with this ruling is if it did not come from the proper channels. Having said that I don't know how it came about so my opinion is moot

In the fast food and retail industries in particular, many workers have missed out on this because they’re deemed “managers” – they work long hours but are paid little more than the people they supervise.

Under the new rules, first released in draft form last summer, the annual salary threshold at which companies can deny overtime pay will be doubled from $23,660 to nearly $47,500.

That means a fast-food manager making $14 an hour – or roughly $30,000 a year – would now be eligible for overtime for those extra hours.

So, what does this REALLY mean? Businesses are there to make $$$$ for their owners and investors. Increase personnel costs and the bottom line goes into the potty. What do you think those in charge will do?

They have 2 choices:

Increase costs – and lose customers

salaried workers will be converted to hourly ones

Read the story @ 'Career killer': Obama's new overtime expansion under fire | Fox News

Experts say Obama’s overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard @ Experts say Obama's overtime rule will hit taxpayers, economy hard - Watchdog.org

Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers @ Paul Ryan Commits To Fighting Rule That Extends Overtime Protection To Millions Of Workers
I've had doubts about this proposal, but to be honest the links you put up made me more inclined to think it may not be a bad idea. Do we really want to allow an employer to force a guy making 30K to work 55 hours a week? It seems to me that the guy needs a second part time job to support a family.

Want to know why their links dont make the case and they push hard and heavy on the narrative side? :badgrin:

Forum List

Back