Obamacares Chickens Have Come Home to Roost

Granny says, "Dat's right - Obamacare premiums just keep goin' up...
icon_grandma.gif

Obamacare Premiums ā€˜Bigger Than Your Mortgageā€™
November 3, 2016 ā€“ During a campaign rally in Jacksonville, Fla., GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump said Thursday that Obamacare premiums are skyrocketing ā€“ as high as 116 percent in Arizona ā€“ so much so that it costs more than the mortgage and rent. ā€œItā€™s your number one cost right now ā€“ bigger than your mortgage. Itā€™s bigger than your rent ā€“ first time thatā€™s ever happened,ā€ Trump said.
The Department of Health and Human Services announced on Oct. 24 ā€œthat premiums for a midlevel benchmark plan will increase an average of 25 percent across the 39 states served by the federally run online market, and that about 1 in 5 consumers will have plans only from a single insurer to pick from, after major national carriers such as UnitedHealth Group, Humana and Aetna scaled back their roles,ā€ CBS New York reported in October. ā€œHowever, in Arizona, unsubsidized premiums for a hypothetical 27-year-old buying a benchmark ā€˜second-lowest cost silver planā€™ will jump by 116 percent, from $196 to $422, according to the administration report,ā€ the article stated.

Trump told supporters in Florida that it was just announced ā€œthat the residents of Florida are going to experience a massive double-digit premium hike.ā€ He said the exact number is depressing. ā€œWhoā€™s got their number yet? Does anybody know? Should I tell you? Do you want me to depress everybody? Youā€™d just put your head down, start crying and leave. I wonā€™t tell you. I donā€™t want to tell you. You know why? Because if I do, youā€™ll be so depressed,ā€ he said. ā€œIn the great state of Arizona though as an example, premiums are going up more than 116%, and it doesnā€™t work. Obamacare doesnā€™t work. Iā€™m repealing it. Weā€™re gonna replace it with something so much better and so much cheaper,ā€ Trump said.

He said in contrast, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton will ā€œdouble upā€ on Obamacare. ā€œOver 90 percent of the counties in Florida are losing Obamacare insurers next year. Think of it. Good luck in that negotiation. In Minnesota, where the premium increase will be close to 60 percent, the Democratic governor said the Affordable Care Act is no longer affordable. Oh, did he take heat - him and Bill Clinton. Did Bill Clinton take heat? He said itā€™s crazy ā€“ Obamacare. He said itā€™s crazy,ā€ Trump said.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said the Affordable Care Act is ā€œno longer affordable to increasing numbers of people,ā€ Politico reported on Oct. 12. He later said he regretted that his words were ā€œused against Democratic candidates.ā€ "Last week I said that the Affordable Care Act ā€˜is no longer affordable to increasing numbers of people.ā€™ I regret that my statement was wrongly used against Democratic candidates in Minnesota and elsewhere," Politico quoted Dayton as saying in a statement. ā€œHe said he stands by his remarks that more and more people are unable to afford Obamacare coverage,ā€ Politico stated in an Oct. 21 article.

Former President Bill Clinton, meanwhile, called Obamacare ā€œthe craziest thing in the worldā€ during a campaign rally on Oct. 3, CNN reported on Oct. 5. "So you've got this crazy system where all of a sudden 25 million more people have health care and then the people who are out there busting it, sometimes 60 hours a week, wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half. It's the craziest thing in the world," Bill Clinton said.

MORE

Forum List

Back