ObamaCare May Eliminate Congress' Current Coverage

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Oops.

If this is true, it's a beautiful example of Karma being a Total Bitch, in the best way possible.

It also causes one to wonder how many other unintended consequences are in this OBamanation.

It is often said that the new health care law will affect almost every American in some way. And, perhaps fittingly if unintentionally, no one may be more affected than members of Congress themselves.

In a new report, the Congressional Research Service says the law may have significant unintended consequences for the “personal health insurance coverage” of senators, representatives and their staff members.

For example, it says, the law may “remove members of Congress and Congressional staff” from their current coverage, in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, before any alternatives are available.

The confusion raises the inevitable question: If they did not know exactly what they were doing to themselves, did lawmakers who wrote and passed the bill fully grasp the details of how it would influence the lives of other Americans?

The law promises that people can keep coverage they like, largely unchanged. For members of Congress and their aides, the federal employees health program offers much to like. But, the report says, the men and women who wrote the law may find that the guarantee of stability does not apply to them.

“It is unclear whether members of Congress and Congressional staff who are currently participating in F.E.H.B.P. may be able to retain this coverage,” the research service said in an 8,100-word memorandum. ...

Washington Memo - Baffled by Health Plan? So Are Some Lawmakers - NYTimes.com

Hot Air Blog Archive NYT: ObamaCare may have accidentally stripped Congress of health coverage

Now THAT's comedy gold! :lol::clap2:

The law apparently bars members of Congress from the federal employees health program, on the assumption that lawmakers should join many of their constituents in getting coverage through new state-based markets known as insurance exchanges.

But the research service found that this provision was written in an imprecise, confusing way, so it is not clear when it takes effect.
The new exchanges do not have to be in operation until 2014. But because of a possible “drafting error,” the report says, Congress did not specify an effective date for the section excluding lawmakers from the existing program.

Under well-established canons of statutory interpretation, the report said, “a law takes effect on the date of its enactment” unless Congress clearly specifies otherwise. And Congress did not specify any other effective date for this part of the health care law. The law was enacted when President Obama signed it three weeks ago.

More on this:

However, the language causing the problem is this:
[FONT=times new 
roman,times]§ 1312(d)(3)(D)(i), specifically requires that:[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are--[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times](I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or (II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act). [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]For new Congressman and staffers to whom this applies, the result is clear, at least after 2014. For incumbents, it is not clear what Congressional intent was, how a court might resolve this, or who would proceed with a suit.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Business as usual.[/FONT]

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/04/ooops_congress_loses_health_ca.html

This is RICH if it is true and just desserts!

Maybe we won't need to fight to get this bill repealed after all if Congress has to live under it too.

There is a God and he does work in mysterious ways. And sometimes really funny ways too!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I So hope this is true.

Wouldn't it be great if Congress had to vote to restore their own gold-plated benefits?

I So hope this is true.

Wouldn't it be great if Congress had to vote to restore their own gold-plated benefits?

And they don't DARE do it before the 2010 elections! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh my gosh liberals just wanted this healthcare debate to go away. But if Congress has to go back and vote to get their gold plated healthcare back.

BWahahaha! The show of ARROGANCE that would be that all voters would see.

I tell you there is a God and this is a little Democrats come uppance.

:lol::lol::lol:

I bet some are already regretting not having read The Bill.

Forum List

Back