Obama should pushed what he wanted - Universal Healthcare!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Obama didn't even want this obamination. Basically he settled for it. He should have stated that its time for America to go UHC route. He would have been attacked unmercifully by the right and the conservative talk show hosts. However, he was anyways.

But he should have taken a unique approach:
(1) Constantly flood the airways with interviews of average Joe's from Canada, UK, Germany, France, Costa Rica etc. Have them state their name, education background, profession, political affiliation (if have any) and then there views on their healthcare system. Guaranteed they would find a ton more satisfied then not. People would have related better. I bet you might find 1 or 2 Joes that would prefer US styles private system.
(2) Conducted independent surveys in these nations, providing the questions online for everyone to view to determine bias. I guarantee hearing people's opinions would be huge!
(3) Every hack from Pelosi to Reid had tradegic stories of the uninsured. One hack talked about a women having to use her dead sister false teeth. Instead of them telling the stories (which people don't believe), constantly flood the airways with ACTUAL STORIES from the SOURCE. Americans would relate.
(4) Talk about how much businesses would SAVE. If you don't believe UHC is a huge savings to business, then your either a political hack or ignorant. US businesses are at an enormous disadvantage because healthcare costs them so much. Take away the healthcare burden on business and we are talking about the biggest sustainable stimulus package America has ever seen! CONSTANTLY LET PEOPLE KNOW this, you want a permanent stimulus, well here it is on a silver platter!

This would be a mark for success, instead Obamination might put us into a depression!

The POTUS is no dummy. My prediction is the SCOTUS will declare the mandate unconstitutional and the feds will have to offer the public option. A few years down the road - the only option. I honestly believe that's why they got Kucinich to flip.

could be....seems like the mandatory purchase of private insurance without a nonprofit coop option or the public option would be unconstitutional...?

I still don't like the idea of Gov owned Hospitals..

in other words, Public Option.

I think it's good that people will have insurance.. Not from the Gov, but from Pvt Insurance.

--

I tend to look more Optimistic in these kind of situations..

In the end, people and businesses will work through the new rules. It really isn't going to change much other than to allow some people to purchase insurance who currently are unable to do so. Even though it will be mandatory to purchase insurance, many still will not. And no, they won't be thrown in jail. The overall impact of this bill will be negligible. Costs will continue to rise as they would have without the bill.

Look, what's done is done.

My party got the ball rolling; let the SCOTUS do whatever they want to do; they're going to add things, but they're not going to can't take away anything.

This is a done deal. Next subject: jobs.

The shame in this whole thing lied within the fact that President Obama foolishly thought the GOP was going to cooperate. With over 90% of the members of the medical industry being a card carrying Republican, we knew all along that they weren't serious about health care reform.

Food for thought.

Who is this "health industry" of which they speak? Big Pharma?

NJ - HOW THEY VOTED:

Vote - Member - Campaign contributions from health industry - Percent uninsured in district

• No — Adler, John Herbert (D) - $405,495 - 10.80%

• Yes — Andrews, Robert Ernest (D) - $954,930 - 13.60%

• No — Frelinghuysen, Rodney P. (R) - $828,222 - 7.40%

• No — Garrett, Ernest Scott (R) - $340,416 - 9.30%

• Yes — Holt, Rush (D) - $602,347 - 7.60%

• No — Lance, Leonard (R) - $256,700 - 8.00%

• No — LoBiondo, Frank A. (R) - $638,441 - 12.70%

• Yes — Pallone, Frank (D) - $3,130,586 - 16.80%

• Yes — Pascrell, William J. (D) - $754,609 - 19.60%

• Yes — Payne, Donald Milford (D) - $345,074 - 21.80%

• Yes — Rothman, Steven (D) - $1,029,072 - 17.10%

• Yes — Sires, Albio (D) - $210,870 - 25.80%

• No — Smith, Christopher Henry (R) - $279,496 - 11

http://blog.nj.com/njv_tom_moran/2010/03/nj_delegation_plays_key_role_i.html

Food for thought.

Last edited:
Well, the next step;

Rep. Alan Grayson?s ?Medicare You Can Buy Into Act? Attracts 50 Co-Sponsors // Current

REP. ALAN GRAYSON: I’ve introduced a simple three-and-a-half-page bill that opens up Medicare to anybody who wants it. If you want it and you pay for it, it’s yours. It’s that simple. It’s open to everybody under the age of sixty-five, whether or not you’re handicapped. And you pay the same amount as other people your age would pay.

And the reason to do this is because we need a public option. We need an option that doesn’t involve putting us at the tender mercies of insurance companies, particularly if there’s a mandate to do so. A lot of people feel that there is a fundamental conflict of interest between themselves and private insurance companies. The private insurance companies make money by denying you the care that you need to be healthy, and sometimes to stay alive. And a lot of people are just sick of it.

So the way to get beyond that is to open up Medicare, which is now available to only one-eighth of the population, to anybody who’s willing to pay for it. And it makes perfect sense when you think about it. I mean, we don’t say the federal highways are only open to senior citizens. And the Medicare provider network is an enormously valuable, expensive thing that we’ve created with federal tax dollars that ought to be open to everyone, not just seniors.

Well, the next step;

Rep. Alan Grayson?s ?Medicare You Can Buy Into Act? Attracts 50 Co-Sponsors // Current

REP. ALAN GRAYSON: I’ve introduced a simple three-and-a-half-page bill that opens up Medicare to anybody who wants it. If you want it and you pay for it, it’s yours. It’s that simple. It’s open to everybody under the age of sixty-five, whether or not you’re handicapped. And you pay the same amount as other people your age would pay.

And the reason to do this is because we need a public option. We need an option that doesn’t involve putting us at the tender mercies of insurance companies, particularly if there’s a mandate to do so. A lot of people feel that there is a fundamental conflict of interest between themselves and private insurance companies. The private insurance companies make money by denying you the care that you need to be healthy, and sometimes to stay alive. And a lot of people are just sick of it.

So the way to get beyond that is to open up Medicare, which is now available to only one-eighth of the population, to anybody who’s willing to pay for it. And it makes perfect sense when you think about it. I mean, we don’t say the federal highways are only open to senior citizens. And the Medicare provider network is an enormously valuable, expensive thing that we’ve created with federal tax dollars that ought to be open to everyone, not just seniors.

nutswinger.gif

Forum List

Back