Obama should pardon all people serving time for pot

Actually, you really don't need to legalize marijuana, simply move it off of Schedule I substance list and shift it down to a Schedule II (of which cocaine is one) or Schedule III substance.

That would make medical marijuana legal in all 50 states, and then the individual state could decide if they wanted to approve recreational.

There are not many people in prison for just smoking pot. Those who were convicted were either selling pot or had another related crime. DumBama let enough drug offenders out of prison as it is.

There are not many people in prison for just smoking pot. Those who were convicted were either selling pot or had another related crime. DumBama let enough drug offenders out of prison as it is.

Actually, I think that if they were arrested for marijuana only and had no weapons connected to the arrest, even if they were transporting 50 lbs, they should be let go.

Why? Because it's legal for both medical and recreational in a few states now, and is allowed for medical reasons in over half the states.

If marijuana selling, growing, transporting or possessing was all you had? You should be released from jail. Here in Amarillo TX, the courts have decided to not even prosecute some people who are accused of having cannabis. Matter of fact, approximately 14 percent of the people who are arrested for having it never even see a courtroom. The charges are dismissed before they even hit the courts for those people. Dunno what the reasons are for dismissal, but the local news said 14 percent of the arrests are.

IF you really believe in smaller government...Well, Trump should cut the fucking law book in half and start by legalizing all drugs.

Yeah unlimited access to heroin, meth, crack...what could possibly go wrong?

Those drugs don't need to be legal, because they are highly addictive and have no medicinal value whatsoever.

Marijuana however? It is not physically addictive, can be used to treat many different illnesses, and currently, is being researched as a way to wean people off of heroin, because it helps with shakes, nausea, pain management and appetite enhancement, things that every heroin addict going through withdrawl needs. And, in the year that they've been trying it, they have about a 50 to 60 percent success rate of keeping people off of heroin. Dunno if you know much about drug addiction, but those kind of stats for helping heroin addicts are pretty much stellar. It keeps them off of methadone as well.

Those drugs don't need to be legal, because they are highly addictive and have no medicinal value whatsoever.

Marijuana however? It is not physically addictive, can be used to treat many different illnesses, and currently, is being researched as a way to wean people off of heroin, because it helps with shakes, nausea, pain management and appetite enhancement, things that every heroin addict going through withdrawl needs. And, in the year that they've been trying it, they have about a 50 to 60 percent success rate of keeping people off of heroin. Dunno if you know much about drug addiction, but those kind of stats for helping heroin addicts are pretty much stellar. It keeps them off of methadone as well.

I've lost several friends due to pot. Yes, they were addicted as well, so I don't buy this nonsense that it's a non-additive drug when I've seen it first hand multiple times.

Actually, I think that if they were arrested for marijuana only and had no weapons connected to the arrest, even if they were transporting 50 lbs, they should be let go.

Why? Because it's legal for both medical and recreational in a few states now, and is allowed for medical reasons in over half the states.

If marijuana selling, growing, transporting or possessing was all you had? You should be released from jail. Here in Amarillo TX, the courts have decided to not even prosecute some people who are accused of having cannabis. Matter of fact, approximately 14 percent of the people who are arrested for having it never even see a courtroom. The charges are dismissed before they even hit the courts for those people. Dunno what the reasons are for dismissal, but the local news said 14 percent of the arrests are.

Well, alcohol is legal too, but you can't manufacture moonshine.

If the laws of your state change, then that's fine. Until that time, we all have to obey the laws of our state.

God dam government loving liberals, regulating everything...

let people smoke the fuck they want, will you...

I'm not into drugs. I tried pot once when I was 19 in college at a party. There are people in prison today serving longer sentences that people that have killed someone. If a person is in prison for possession of pot, they need to be let go. Marijuana should be legalized across the country. It should be treated the same as alcohol.

Does anybody in their right mind think that people are doing time for "doing pot"? They are doing time for selling marijuana to our kids and engaging in an organized crime conspiracy.

Obama should pardon all the people that are currently serving time for doing pot. IT is a waste of resources for these people to remain in prison.
So you don't see MJ as a gateway drug?

Actually Tyrone, marijuana isn't the gateway drug, alcohol is.

Why? Because alcohol is legal, as well as the way it acts on your brain makes you susceptible to suggestions you wouldn't normally do. In other words, alcohol reduces your inhibitions.

Marijuana doesn't.

If anything, smoking cannabis makes you more careful of what you are doing.

And.............if you wouldn't do something sober, you won't do it if you're stoned.

If you're drunk, you might.

Does anybody in their right mind think that people are doing time for "doing pot"? They are doing time for selling marijuana to our kids and engaging in an organized crime conspiracy.

Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana.

Marijuana Arrests by the Numbers

Number of people arrested for a marijuana law violation in 2015: 643,121
  • Number of those charged with marijuna law violations who were arrested for possession only: 574,641 (89 percent)

Drug War Statistics | Marijuana Statistics | Mexico Drug War Deaths | Drug Policy Alliance

IF you really believe in smaller government...Well, Trump should cut the fucking law book in half and start by legalizing all drugs.

Yeah unlimited access to heroin, meth, crack...what could possibly go wrong?

actually heroin does have medicinal value, It was originally brought into the country around 1890 (or so). Originally Morphine, named after the greek god of dreams Morphieous, was used as a pain killer that became popular during the civil war, it as was addictive, and caused a social health concern. Heroin was a derivative of morphine that was essentially invented in Germany and marked under a company by the name of Bayer, (ring a bell?) as an alternative to morphine that was not harmful or addictive. It wasn't until the pure food and drug act of 1906 that heroin and drugs like it were placed on a list of controlled substances.
Marijuana ended up classified under the same category of drug because it also created a euphoric state of being. Its why Marijuana spent all of its life up until a few years ago listed as a narcotic. (which it is not) Marijuana stimulates different receptors in the brain than heroin, heroin and all derivatives of morphine, including morphine work mainly on receptors in the frontal cortex and limbic system that control things like the ability to think, make decisions and basically feel good (the limbic system is the reward area of the brain) and marijuana is more localized to the ventral tegmental area of the brain . (also known as the cerebral cortex, or brain stem) Both Marijuana and Heroin work by stimulating an over production of the neurotransmitters creating the feelings of euphoria. Drugs in the same category as cocaine for instance work by blocking the uptake inhibitors and creating a feeling that the neurotransmitters have over produced.
In short, this all basically means that Marijuana is working on a section of the brain that more affects regulated motor functions and creates more of a feeling of relaxation than of reward type pleasure, and because of this marijuana would be more correctly grouped with alcohol.

Sorry. the physiology of chemicals on the body was actually one of the courses I had to take to get my current degree. Its not often I find a conversation that one can slip this boring crap in.

I've lost several friends due to pot. Yes, they were addicted as well, so I don't buy this nonsense that it's a non-additive drug when I've seen it first hand multiple times.
Where did they get lost at? Were they high when they got lost? Or were you high and lost them when having a case of the munchies and were standing at a hot dog cart?

Obama should pardon all the people that are currently serving time for doing pot. IT is a waste of resources for these people to remain in prison.
So you don't see MJ as a gateway drug?
marijuana may well be a gate way drug because of its illegal status.
think of this, if you go to dinner or the club, you can drink legally (leave the getting drunk and acting the fool part out of this) you don't have to hide the alcohol from the police or other people too nosy for their own good.
now if you go somewhere to smoke marijuana, you are usually somewhere out of public, basically hiding from the law while doing it.
The illegal status of marijuana brings it use to places that are more likely to have other illegal drugs being used also. Alcohol being legal does not do this. In a situation where illegal drugs and legal drugs like alcohol are both being used, the alcohol is usually the secondary drug at the party, not the primary.
If you legalized marijuana for personal use and regulated it like alcohol with the same public use restrictions as cigarettes, (contact high from the secondary smoke is proven to be a real thing) you would take the chance of using around the other drugs out of the question. Marijuana would then also become a secondary drug along with alcohol at the party. marijuana then would be no more of a gateway drug than alcohol currently is.
legalizing marijuana could reduce the use of drugs like heroin instead of leading to the use of heroin.
And consider this when talking about marijuana use. All our lives growing up we are taught as children that marijuana is dangerous, can kill you, etc... and then we use it, guess what? its not any more dangerous than alcohol, its actually less addictive (although also being proven as addictive with excessive use) than alcohol and it does less damage to the body, in some cases it is actually good for the body as in various eye diseases or certain cancers.
so, consider that we have also had the same health scares about heroin, cocaine etc... What is there that would cause us to believe that after discovering the marijuana warnings were a lie, that the warnings for these other "recreational pharmaceuticals" are also not equally a lie.
I stand by my unproven theory that legalizing pot would greatly reduce the use of other drugs by taking the gateway drug effect away from it.
( drugs are my thing )

Forum List

Back