Obama sends US troops to Uganda to help fight rebels

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

WASHINGTON — US President Barack Obama said Friday he is sending 100 "combat-equipped" troops to Uganda to help and advise forces battling Lord's Resistance Army rebels accused of grievous human rights abuses.

The US troops, subject to the approval of national authorities, could also deploy from Uganda into South Sudan, the Central African Republic and Democratic Republic of the Congo, Obama said in a message to Congress.

LRA rebels are accused of terrorizing, murdering, raping and kidnapping thousands of people in the four nations, and tens of thousands of people died in their 20-year war with security forces in northern Uganda.

AFP: Obama sends 100 US troops to Uganda to help fight rebels

CaféAuLait;4270202 said:

WASHINGTON — US President Barack Obama said Friday he is sending 100 "combat-equipped" troops to Uganda to help and advise forces battling Lord's Resistance Army rebels accused of grievous human rights abuses.

The US troops, subject to the approval of national authorities, could also deploy from Uganda into South Sudan, the Central African Republic and Democratic Republic of the Congo, Obama said in a message to Congress.

LRA rebels are accused of terrorizing, murdering, raping and kidnapping thousands of people in the four nations, and tens of thousands of people died in their 20-year war with security forces in northern Uganda.

AFP: Obama sends 100 US troops to Uganda to help fight rebels

So? we have troops in this kind of role in many countries across the globe, the Phillipines and Colombia come to mind.

Special Forces are in countries we don't even know about all the time advising. But still I dont trust Obamas motives on anything foriegn right now, seems that he only has interests of toppling leaders that are friendly to us or are not radical enough and replacing them with Al-quada muslim brotherhood dictators.

With the exception of AIDS assistance, the U.S. forgot about the African continent after the Cold War. I deployed to Africa two times in the 1990s and was on the hook to go to Rwanda and/or Burundi to help with the genocide and famine related to the Hutu and Tutsi conflict. The president at the time couldn't pull the trigger and we didn't go in. Meanwhile, China is building roads in exchange for mineral rights, bases of operation, and other advantages that will surely make us wish we had stayed engaged.

Last edited:
With the exception of AIDS assistance, the U.S. forgot about the African continent after the Cold War. I deployed to Africa two times in the 1990s and was on the hook to go to Rwanda and/or Burundi to help with the genocide and famine related to the Hutu and Tutsi conflict. The president at the time couldn't pul the trigger and we didn't go in. Meanwhile, China is building roads in exchange for mineral rights, bases of operation, and other advantages that will surely make us wish we had stayed engaged.

We are getting in there, we have a base of operations in Djibouti and we helped the South Sudan establish their independence, they have oil there so I am sure we will be engaged with them diplomatically, economically as well as Militarily.

OK...
TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE
October 14, 2011

.....I believe that deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa...
Sincerely,
BARACK OBAMA
Obama sending combat troops to central Africa to aid fight against rebels – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

So when Obama said there was NO vital "national security interests" in Iraq please would someone explain why there IS national security interests in Central Africa? Someone there have a nuke?

I haven't seen anything on this. But if it is true,I do not support it. How many wars are we up to now? Lets not do this.

With the exception of AIDS assistance, the U.S. forgot about the African continent after the Cold War. I deployed to Africa two times in the 1990s and was on the hook to go to Rwanda and/or Burundi to help with the genocide and famine related to the Hutu and Tutsi conflict. The president at the time couldn't pul the trigger and we didn't go in. Meanwhile, China is building roads in exchange for mineral rights, bases of operation, and other advantages that will surely make us wish we had stayed engaged.

I guess you don't remember Somalia and the battle of Mogadishu do you? :eusa_whistle:

China will not put up with nonsense, but it WILL sit by and let the warring factions kill one another. We have to mix in. We would be better off if we raped the land and pillaged the mines ourselves instead of "helping". Everyone we "helped" has eventually turned out to be even WORSE that the cruel genocidal nutjobs we didn't help.

I guess you don't remember Somalia and the battle of Mogadishu do you? :eusa_whistle:

You think we're wasting our time in the middle east...We doubly would be doing so within anywhere south of the Sahara. A complete joke to spend a dime there.:eek:

We probably should have skipped that one.

We don't need anymore Wars. I think we have enough already. When will all these foreign interventions end? Why do wee need to be involved with so many wars around the world? Is this a permanent policy for our nation? Just a long endless string of wars? Why don't we give peace a chance? Who knows,we might just like it.

We don't need anymore Wars. I think we have enough already. When will all these foreign interventions end? Why do wee need to be involved with so many wars around the world? Is this a permanent policy for our nation? Just a long endless string of wars? Why don't we give peace a chance? Who knows,we might just like it.

We need wars because I work for a defense contractor and I want to buy a new Corvette Z06.

While I agree with you I feel like I saw you post this same exact post yesterday. Are you copying and pasting it from ones you have saved lol or is this directly something from Ron Paul it sounds like it.

Forum List

Back