Obama - no US flag in Haiti

You know, I remember reading about a time when people in need were inspired when they saw our flag. The sight of our flag meant help was on the way. Now, this administration is ashamed to fly it.

You know, I remember reading about a time when people in need were inspired when they saw our flag. The sight of our flag meant help was on the way. Now, this administration is ashamed to fly it.

1945 and 2010 are two different times.

Old Glory has taken quite the negative PR in the last 65 years. As she has been used and abused in conflicts which in reality, she'd never defend.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not saying we should be ashamed to fly it.

But reading the rest of the article gives insight as to why he's not doing this:

A U.S. flag went up at a temporary consular station set up in the first few days on the airport tarmac, according to Charles Luoma-Overstreet, a State Department spokesman in Haiti.

"Apparently, the prime minister (Jean-Max Bellerive) saw this" and thought it appeared as if the United States were taking over the airport, Luoma-Overstreet said.

He said Bellerive said something to U.S. Ambassador Kenneth Merten, who agreed that flying the flag wasn't a good idea and told the consular officials to take it down.

The decision is not unprecedented, noted Joe Davis, spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars, who says he is not bothered by the flag's absence.

During the Gulf War in 1991, U.S. forces took control of the main airport in Kuwait and briefly flew the American flag over their installation, Davis said, but higher-ups ordered it taken down to avoid an impression that U.S. forces were conquerors.

Last edited:

Personally, I actually pretty comfortable with Obama not dragging our flag into his mud. This POTUS has no idea what being proud of your country means.... him and that wife of his.

Personally, I actually pretty comfortable with Obama not dragging our flag into his mud. This POTUS has no idea what being proud of your country means.... him and that wife of his.

What's next? Going to call him "that one"? :eusa_eh:

Such ignorance as to not understanding why it's not being flown.

To hell with that. In 22 years of service and over 14 years outside the USA I never served anywhere that we didn't fly our flag.

If some asswipe in Haiti doesn't think it's a good idea for us to fly our flag, then maybe it's not such a good Idea to pour millions of our Dollars into their little pissant country.

To hell with that. In 22 years of service and over 14 years outside the USA I never served anywhere that we didn't fly our flag.

If some asswipe in Haiti doesn't think it's a good idea for us to fly our flag, then maybe it's not such a good Idea to pour millions of our Dollars into their little pissant country.

Acting like a spoiled child is not the American way.

We should not let the childish behavior of the Prime Minister prevent us from doing what makes us America.

The people know who we are and what we're doing there. We don't need no flag to show that.

Last edited:
Obama - no US flag in Haiti

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he owes this country so much, yet refuses to appreciate all it's done for him

I'm not surprised..

After all he was not even born in this country, is a Muslim and hates white people and America as a whole. He is also a major supporter of terrorism

The man cannot een speak without a teleprompter

I guess France gets to fly there colors because nobody is worried about France conquering anyone. :lol:

Funny you should mention France.

I feel if people had a little more background about the situation, they'd understand it better.

US accused of 'occupying' Haiti as troops flood in - Telegraph

Haiti was occupied by the US between 1915 and 1935, and historical sensitivities together with friction with other countries over the relief effort has made the Americans cautious about their role in the operation.

American military commanders have repeatedly stressed that they are not entering the country as an occupying force.

US soldiers in Port-au-Prince said they had been told to be discreet about how they carry their M4 assault rifles.

It's a very sticky situation to say the least.

maybe it's not such a good Idea to pour millions of our Dollars into their little pissant country.
It's trillions, over the last ten years or so. NOT even counting the billions for disaster relief.

Hell if it's trillions they should be living better than we do... Time to come home, with the check book.
History is full of these deals. We pour trillions or billions in, nothing changes.

Haiti is just one such example. South side of Chicago is another. Public schools? Another.

Hell if it's trillions they should be living better than we do... Time to come home, with the check book.

Trillions? Where the hell are you two getting your numbers from?

Foreign aid to Haiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The USA is the largest foreign source of relief aid to Haiti from the 2010 Haiti earthquake. USA, through USAID is giving more than $712 million in aid. However, this money is comprised by the donations of many non-governmental organizations such as World Vision and the Red Cross accumulated from different parts of the globe through various campaigns in support of Haiti.[1]

Private (individuals & organisations) 593,639,219 . United States US 466,879,506

Between the fiscal years of 1995 and 1999, the U.S. contributed roughly $884 million in assistance to Haiti.

Where is this trillions bullshit?

It's trillions, over the last ten years or so. NOT even counting the billions for disaster relief.

History is full of these deals. We pour trillions or billions in, nothing changes.

Haiti is just one such example. South side of Chicago is another. Public schools? Another.

There is at least an American Flag on the South Side of Chicago, and in every school I ever went into.

Trillions? Where the hell are you two getting your numbers from?

Foreign aid to Haiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The USA is the largest foreign source of relief aid to Haiti from the 2010 Haiti earthquake. USA, through USAID is giving more than $712 million in aid. However, this money is comprised by the donations of many non-governmental organizations such as World Vision and the Red Cross accumulated from different parts of the globe through various campaigns in support of Haiti.[1]

Private (individuals & organisations) 593,639,219 . United States US 466,879,506

Between the fiscal years of 1995 and 1999, the U.S. contributed roughly $884 million in assistance to Haiti.

Where is this trillions bullshit?

Someone else said trillions, I said "IF IT'S TRILLIONS" please do try to comprehend better.

I guess France gets to fly there colors because nobody is worried about France conquering anyone. :lol:

Funny you should mention France.

I feel if people had a little more background about the situation, they'd understand it better.

US accused of 'occupying' Haiti as troops flood in - Telegraph

Haiti was occupied by the US between 1915 and 1935, and historical sensitivities together with friction with other countries over the relief effort has made the Americans cautious about their role in the operation.

American military commanders have repeatedly stressed that they are not entering the country as an occupying force.

US soldiers in Port-au-Prince said they had been told to be discreet about how they carry their M4 assault rifles.

It's a very sticky situation to say the least.

I think I have a pretty good feel for the situation and I know the difference between a combat theater and a humanitarian theater.

The fact that we occupied the country in the early parts of the 20th century means jack shit. There are US troops on the ground and they are there to help. Raising our flag could actually help our image in the world. It would be nice to see our flag recognized in correlation to a humanitarian mission. Instead, somebody didn't want to hurt any feelings and didn't the Haiti PM to fuck off and start carrying boxes off of the plane.

Forum List

Back