Obama making up 'possible' job numbers... again

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Obama: could add 1 million new jobs | Reuters

The White House says details of the job creation proposals Obama will unveil next week are still being worked out and it has yet to announce an exact date or location for his speech, although Obama hinted at some of the ideas he would put forth.

"There is no doubt that we can take steps that would mean the economy was growing a percent or a percentage and a half faster. That could mean half a million to a million additional jobs," Obama said.
Here we go again with the made up job numbers.

The White House blames the sluggish economic performance on fallout from the worst recession since the Great Depression that Democrat Obama inherited when he took office. His Republican opponents reject this as a lame excuse.
And there's the 'It's Bush's fault!'

"All these ideas are ones that have been presented to Congress. We'll be putting out several other additional ideas. We've got to do it, unfortunately, at a time when money is tight. George Bush left us (a) $1 trillion deficit," he said, referring to the former Republican president.
And there's a two-fer... A 'we presented these already', and another 'It's all Bush's fault!' for good measure.

"My attitude is that my job is to present the best plans possible. Congress needs to act," Obama said. "If Congress does not act, then I'm going to be going on the road and talking to folks, and this next election very well may end up being a referendum on whose vision of America is better."
He has apparently not seen the most recent poll numbers... the 'approve' vs.'disapprove' is at 43/53.2 on the RCP average... a spread of -10.2. I think America is already speaking as to how they feel about his 'vision of America'.

You REALLY have to actually READ these links you post... not just the titles...

While the report focuses primarily on the second quarter of 2011, CBO also includes new projections of the Recovery Act's jobs impact through 2012.
'Projections' = made up numbers
'Impact through 2012' = they are counting time that has not occurred yet

It's a made up number, for the future.

CBO emphasizes that its estimate of 1.0 million to 2.9 million more people employed as of June addresses the limitations of using recipient reports to estimate ARRA's impact on jobs.
They admit their method has limited reliability, and is an 'estimate'... a made up number.

http://web.econ.ohio-state.edu/dupor/arra10_may11.pdf

Much work on the effects of the ARRA remains to be done. We found, surprisingly, either negligible or negative effects of the Act on total employment; thus, it is important to explore whether alternative empirical specifications, besides the historical `Keynesian multiplier' approach of Section 5 used by other researchers, are capable of finding a significant positive jobs effect.

Obama isn't claiming future job creation as an accomplishment-- he's using the possibility of job creation to motivate a policy that he's going to propose (a stimulus/ job creation package/ whatever term polls well).

Projections aren't perfect, but they are useful and important. It's difficult to imagine a national policy that didn't depend at least implicitly on projections.

So what Obama is saying is that he has had a jobs plan but isnt going to reveal it until it's politically beneficial to his campaign. I admit I'm skeptical. But even if i wasn't this seems rather cruel.

Forum List

Back