Obama going pro pot?

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
In a new interview President Obama has made statements that could put him in the middle of the controversy over legalizing marijuana.

As more states have legalized the drug, President Obama in a lengthy interview in the New Yorker magazine said he believed marijuana was not more dangerous than alcohol.

"As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don't think it is more dangerous than alcohol," Obama told the New Yorker.

When asked if he believes marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol, the president is quoted as saying he thinks it was less dangerous "in terms of its impact on the individual consumer." However, he said he's told his daughters he thinks "it's a bad idea."

Excerpt: David Remnick's New Yorker Piece on President Obama

The president also voiced concern for the lengthy incarcerations associated with minor offenses related to marijuana possession.

In particular Obama talked about how minorities were more likely to be arrested and serve long sentences.

"We should not be locking up kids or individual users for long stretches of jail time when some of the folks who are writing those laws have probably done the same thing," he said.

With more states legalizing the drug either for medical reasons or for recreational use, such as in Washington and Colorado, Obama said it's important that states continue to work through the complicated issue.

"It's important for it to go forward because it's important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished," said Obama.

Obama has admitted to using marijuana as a teen and young adult and wrote about some of his experiences in his autobiography "Dreams of My Father."

In August of last year, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder proposed new sentencing guidelines for minor drug offenders that sought to minimize prison time for non-violent offenders.

Marijuana is still in the schedule 1 class for the federal Drug Enforcement Agency, putting it in the same category as heroin, LSD and ecstasy.
Obama Says Pot No More Dangerous Than Alcohol - ABC News

I agree, if he said that. However, one high usually leads to a stronger high, then on, and on, and on. So both are equally bad in that aspect.

Let them legalize the Mary J.

The local governments now have changed their DUI laws to include anything that impairs your ability to drive. So now the local governments can make money on the taxes and the fines.

Who the heck cares? Marijuana is the least important thing to worry about as national policies. While the people sit around wondering what Obama's position on pot is, he is screwing the people over with more taxes and more regulation.

We're a couple years away from pot being legalized across the country. The government wants the tax dollars and they're willing to sacrifice our culture for the money.

To use the mulatto messiah's reasoning we should stop issuing speeding tickets because they are only punishing a very small number of the speeders. That logic could be applied to many things, just depends on how far out in LEFT field you want to go.

In the old America we used to put druggies in jail.

In the new America we put them in office.

in both those versions drinking something that has killed and ruined many a life is OK and smoking something that has been proven over and over to be slowly killing you and is very addictive is also OK.....

In the old America we used to put druggies in jail.

In the new America we put them in office.

LOL. Nah, in the old America everyone grew Cannabis. Cannabis extract was sold over the counter in all sorts of useful products.

Only in the New America after 1937, did they make all Cannabis products illegal.

END the big government war on drugs!!!!

Legalize! For a smaller government!

Anything that is taxed and regulated is not smaller government. Only a far left mindset would believe that.

Taxing it and then have no regulations would be smaller government, but that is what he far left wants on this product so far.

His interviews are lengthy when he's coherent (and I use that term loosely). Oh, lawdy, can you imagine him talking when he's high?

Forum List

Back