Obama awards Medal of Honor to Kentucky Marine

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Obama awards Medal of Honor to Kentucky Marine

244679260-15120750.JPG

On Wednesday, they shared a beer. On Thursday, President Obama presented the Medal of Honor to Dakota Meyer, credited with saving three dozen lives during operations in Afghanistan in 2009.

Speaking from the East Room of the White House, Obama said that it was fitting that the solemn ceremony came just after the nation marked the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that led to the war in Afghanistan.

Meyer, Obama said, represents "the best of a generation that has served with distinction through a decade of war."

"You did your duty above and beyond, and you kept the faith with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps you love," Obama said.

He also called him "one of the most down-to-earth guys that you will ever meet." When White House staff attempted to reach Meyer to arrange for the president to inform him of the honor, they were told he needed to wait for his lunch break.

"I do appreciate, Dakota, you taking my call," Obama joked.

This week, in a call to arrange final details of Thursday's ceremony, Meyer asked whether he could share a beer with his commander in chief. They did so outside the Oval Office on Wednesday.

Meyer is the third living recipient, and first Marine, to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Born in Columbia, Ky., on June 26, 1988, Meyer attended public schools and graduated from Green County High School. In 2006, he enlisted in the Marine Corps and did his basic training at Parris Island Recruit Training Depot, the White House said.

Obama awards Medal of Honor to Kentucky Marine - latimes.com

I watched him do it. It's one of the very few things I have seen Obama do that I am proud of.

That guy is worth a thousand Obamas, or any other politician...and pretty much all of the rest of us too.

Ya mean nobody saw anything Obama did as disrespectful, ham handed, political or dishonorable today? What a strange day indeed! Usually, if Obama awakes, brushes his teeth, eats his breakfast and enters his office, there are forty five nit-picking partisan criticisms of his conduct.

Ya mean nobody saw anything Obama did as disrespectful, ham handed, political or dishonorable today? What a strange day indeed! Usually, if Obama awakes, brushes his teeth, eats his breakfast and enters his office, there are forty five nit-picking partisan criticisms of his conduct.

:razz:

It's disrespectful to the reciipient to say the Medal was awarded by Obama. The Medal of Honor was awarded by Congress and presented by the President of the United States.

The Marine earned the medal. It really doesn't matter who it is that awards it to him. I don't like Obama, but i could care less that it's him that's doing it. What matters is the hero.

That guy is worth a thousand Obamas, or any other politician...and pretty much all of the rest of us too.

I like how you somehow praised that hero and put down the president in the same post. Nicely done.

This guy is so far above YOU specifically, its not even funny. God bless him and god bless the President of the United states.

The Marine earned the medal. It really doesn't matter who it is that awards it to him. I don't like Obama, but i could care less that it's him that's doing it. What matters is the hero.

I agree with you, but it seems this hero really likes Obama. I mean, asking to have a beer with him is really cool.

Damn this guy rules!

The President awarded the medal and appeared to respect the honored recipient. Nothing to carp about there.

But enough about the President.

This thread is really about Dakota Meyer. Genuine hero.

Congratulations to that Marine. Amazing performance under fire. Words do not do justice to the accolades he deserves.

Wait for it..

"This week, in a call to arrange final details of Thursday's ceremony, Meyer asked whether he could share a beer with his commander in chief. They did so outside the Oval Office on Wednesday."

This kid rules! He has his shit more together than most people I know doubled his age. God bless him.

"This week, in a call to arrange final details of Thursday's ceremony, Meyer asked whether he could share a beer with his commander in chief. They did so outside the Oval Office on Wednesday."

This kid rules! He has his shit more together than most people I know doubled his age. God bless him.

Did you happen to see the photo op of that sit and sip ceremony?

It was kind of nice.

And no, I don't mind that the President got some good PR out of doing it. He IS the Commander in Chief, after all.

Wait for it..

Did you happen to see the photo op of that sit and sip ceremony?

It was kind of nice.

And no, I don't mind that the President got some good PR out of doing it. He IS the Commander in Chief, after all.

:clap2:

I agree with you, but it seems this hero really likes Obama. I mean, asking to have a beer with him is really cool.

Damn this guy rules!

Well i think everyone know obama likes his beer (but so do it! :) ) That is pretty cool though! :)

Damn this guy rules!

Well i think everyone know obama likes his beer (but so do it! :) ) That is pretty cool though! :)

This kid is a hero. Even though you took a cheap swipe at Obama, its not about that. Its about this kid being a hero and the fact that HE asked to have a beer with the president and of course the president said yes.

Outstanding!

Damn this guy rules!

This kid is a hero. Even though you took a cheap swipe at Obama, its not about that. Its about this kid being a hero and the fact that HE asked to have a beer with the president and of course the president said yes.

Outstanding!

I would be honored to have a few drinks with this Marine.

Forum List

Back