Obama Aide Apologizes for Jewish Joke

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
(April 27) -- It was a Jewish joke that actually got some laughs from a largely Jewish audience. But national security adviser James Jones, faced with criticism after telling it, has apologized.

"I wish that I had not made this off-the-cuff joke at the top of my remarks," Jones said Monday, "and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it. It also distracted from the larger message I carried that day: that the United States commitment to Israel's security is sacrosanct."

James Jones, here in 2008, apologized for an "off-the-cuff joke" he made before a largely Jewish audience. Jones is President Barack Obama's national security adviser.
The joke might not have been appropriate at a meeting of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a pro-Israel think tank, but the apology couldn't have come at a more diplomatic moment.

The joke for which Jones apologized -- perhaps made worse when Jones presented it as "a story that I think is true" -- was about a Taliban militant who while looking for water in Afghanistan approaches a Jewish merchant. The merchant, instead of offering him water, tries to sell him a tie.

The merchant tries to calm the enraged militant down by telling him that water is available at a restaurant run by his brother a couple of miles away. An hour later the militant returns madder than ever: to get the water, you had to be wearing a tie.

According to The Forward, a Jewish newspaper, the joke "drew a wave of laughs and applause."

Criticism came from Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, who acknowledged that many in the audience laughed.

"It's inappropriate," Foxman told ABC News, who said "this was about the worst kind of joke the head of the National Security Council could have told."

The joke was not included in a transcript of the meeting sent to reporters by the White House, but it was recorded by C-SPAN and several Israeli TV networks.

AOLnews.com

He wasn't joking. He really does hate Jews. Most radical Leftists do. Most Leftists i speak to are virulently Anti-Semitic and Anti-Israel. It is sad but it is what it is.

Forum List

Back