What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama admin approves 2 NEW solar loans worth $1B

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Reaction score
Obama admin approves 2 solar loans worth $1B

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Energy Department on Wednesday approved two loan guarantees worth more than $1 billion for solar energy projects in Nevada and Arizona, two days before the expiration date of a program that has become a rallying cry for Republican critics of the Obama administration's green energy program.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the department has completed a $737 million loan guarantee to Tonopah Solar Energy for a 110 megawatt solar tower on federal land near Tonopah, Nev., and a $337 million guarantee for Mesquite Solar 1 to develop a 150 megawatt solar plant near Phoenix.

The loans were approved under the same program that paid for a $528 million loan to Solyndra Inc., a California solar panel maker that went bankrupt after receiving the money and laid off 1,100 workers. Solyndra is under investigation by the FBI and is the focal point of House hearings on the program.

Obama admin approves 2 solar loans worth $1B - Yahoo! News

:eusa_shhh:

freedombecki

Let's go swimmin'!
Reaction score
CaféAuLait;4202774 said:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Energy Department on Wednesday approved two loan guarantees worth more than $1 billion for solar energy projects in Nevada and Arizona, two days before the expiration date of a program that has become a rallying cry for Republican critics of the Obama administration's green energy program.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the department has completed a $737 million loan guarantee to Tonopah Solar Energy for a 110 megawatt solar tower on federal land near Tonopah, Nev., and a $337 million guarantee for Mesquite Solar 1 to develop a 150 megawatt solar plant near Phoenix.

The loans were approved under the same program that paid for a $528 million loan to Solyndra Inc., a California solar panel maker that went bankrupt after receiving the money and laid off 1,100 workers. Solyndra is under investigation by the FBI and is the focal point of House hearings on the program.
Obama admin approves 2 solar loans worth $1B - Yahoo! News :eusa_shhh:
Oh, my aching back. Obama's still loansharking? Well, this person occupying the people's White House must think he's in Never-Never Land, because he never, never learns from his mistakes.

:rolleyes:

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obama doubling down again

OP
CaféAuLait

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Reaction score
CaféAuLait;4202774 said:

Obama admin approves 2 solar loans worth $1B - Yahoo! News :eusa_shhh:
Oh, my aching back. Obama's still loansharking? Well, this person occupying the people's White House must think he's in Never-Never Land, because he never, never learns from his mistakes.

:rolleyes:

Indeed. Given the loand were approved under the SAME program that approved the Solyndra mess, I would have taken those loans off the table and assured the tax payers were not going to lose money again.

Not to mention all these solar companies going belly up kept blaming China and their low prices. What changed which will assure these new companies Obama has decided to back will make it?

DontBeStupid

Look it up!
Reaction score
You all do know the difference between a loan and a loan guarantee, right?

'Cause I'm thinking you don't.

Jackson

Gold Member
Reaction score
Swell. Just swell. Can we hurry up 2012?

DontBeStupid

Look it up!
Reaction score

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see investing in green energy, I hope it turns out well

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$350.00