NYC to replace circumcision rule with herpes-education program for Orthodox Jews

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
NYC to replace circumcision rule with herpes-education program for Orthodox Jews

City health officials said 17 cases of infant herpes since 2000 have been connected to the traditional Orthodox practice of sucking blood from the circumcision wounds of infants’ penises.

According to the tentative agreement, Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration will ask the city Board of Health to waive a rule -- instituted by his predecessor, Michael Bloomberg -- that asked mohels to obtain written consent from parents and guardians signaling they knew the risks of oral suction circumcision before the procedure.

In exchange, De Blasio’s administration called for the coalition of rabbis and medical experts to lead an information-education program in the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community regarding the potential health dangers of the ritual, known as metzitzah b'peh in Hebrew

NYC to replace circumcision rule with herpes-education program for Orthodox Jews RT USA

I wasn't sure where to post this, I would of thought this practice had stopped a long time ago. Its unethical to continue this oral suction procedure in todays world of medicine.

My copy of the Old Testament mentions circumcising boys, but it doesn't mention some dude earning his Red Wings as part of the process.

sharia law for the jews but not for muslims? these crazy people both be head babies but one sucks the blood from them too.

I'm all in favor of religious freedom, but these rabbis are giving herpes to kids. That needs to stop. Two babies have died.

Forum List

Back