NYC caps uber and lyft drivers for one year

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Looks like all the $$ the medallion taxi owners threw at the pols in NYC finally paid off.

New York City just voted to cap Uber and Lyft vehicles, and that could make rides more expensive

New York City Council passed regulations on ride-hail companies such as Uber and Lyft on Wednesday, capping the number of vehicles on the road for one year and requiring that drivers be paid a minimum wage.

The year-long cap on new licenses for ride-hailing vehicles will take place while the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) studies the effects of ride-hail services in the city. The cap will not apply to new wheelchair-accessible vehicles or new vehicles serving an area demonstrating need in a way that does not increase congestion.

To be fair I only usually use Uber or Lyft on the way home from a night out, going out I prefer mass transit, but this is nothing more than the nicey-nice given back to the medallion owners who donate to the pols in NYC.

Looks like all the $$ the medallion taxi owners threw at the pols in NYC finally paid off.

New York City just voted to cap Uber and Lyft vehicles, and that could make rides more expensive

New York City Council passed regulations on ride-hail companies such as Uber and Lyft on Wednesday, capping the number of vehicles on the road for one year and requiring that drivers be paid a minimum wage.

The year-long cap on new licenses for ride-hailing vehicles will take place while the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) studies the effects of ride-hail services in the city. The cap will not apply to new wheelchair-accessible vehicles or new vehicles serving an area demonstrating need in a way that does not increase congestion.

To be fair I only usually use Uber or Lyft on the way home from a night out, going out I prefer mass transit, but this is nothing more than the nicey-nice given back to the medallion owners who donate to the pols in NYC.
LOL at the morons. That would be virtually impossible to enforce. One, there are all sorts of drivers that enter the state from neighboring states like New Jersey and Connecticut etc.

Two, the drivers are not on any sort of set schedule, so it would be virtually impossible to monitor who is working and who isn't.

I think this "law" is about as useless as anything they passed. They appeased the cab unions and they will quiet down for now.

I can say this. The service is not going anywhere. Millions upon millions of registered voters want it. They tried getting rid of it in Palm Beach County a few years ago, and they were inundated with phone calls etc. They had to relent and allow the service.

Poor liberals.

LOL at the morons. That would be virtually impossible to enforce. One, there are all sorts of drivers that enter the state from neighboring states like New Jersey and Connecticut etc.

Two, the drivers are not an any sort of set schedule, so it would be virtually impossible to monitor who is working and who isn't.

I think this "law" is about as useless as anything they passed. They appeased the cab unions and they will quiet down for now.

I can say this. The service is not going anywhere. Millions upon millions of registered voters want it. They tried getting rid of it in Palm Beach County a few years ago, and they were inundated with phone calls etc. They had to relent and allow the service.

Poor liberals.

The way the law works is they have capped the # of livery plates issued, and you have to have livery plates to use uber. (as a driver)

Out of staters could do it, but most of them stay out of NYC because they can make more $$ where they are.

Two, the drivers are not on any sort of set schedule, so it would be virtually impossible to monitor who is working and who isn't.

Poor liberals.
All they have to do to stop uber and lyft is call for service and when it shows up bust them, eventually they stop showing up.

Poor liberals.

I totally agree. Uber and Lyft are used all over this country and there is no way to monitor where or when they are working.

NY is pissing up a rope.

Poor liberals.
All they have to do to stop uber and lyft is call for service and when it shows up bust them, eventually they stop showing up.
The service is not illegal. What would they bust them for?

Forum List

Back