NY State: First Electronic Bible swearing-in, with an IPAD

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
swornipad.jpg

Nassau County Executive Mangano Sworn In For Second Term « CBS New York

Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano was sworn in for his second term Thursday morning.

Mangano’s second term started out with a few laughs after the judge in charge of the ceremony could not locate a bible, WCBS 880′s Sophia Hall reported.

“First electronic bible swearing-in,” Mangano said after using an iPad with a picture of the bible on it.

The county executive used most of his speech to thank those who helped him win another term, including his wife, two sons and parents.

Here a video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bvmKx9anE]Mangano Swearing in on electronic bible - YouTube[/ame]

The reporter in the video reports that because no one brought a Bible, Mangano pulled up his bible app on his I-PAD and placed his hand on it for the swearing-in.

JMG is reporting that the Right-Wing Blogosphere is just outraged that Mangano did not have a real Bible at hand. All sorts of accusations of godlessness are appearing. I will first check in with the mods and admin per mention function to see how much of that kind of stuff is allowed to be reprinted in USMB. JMG is not a politics forum, but he reports on politics of all types a lot.

Joe. My. God.: NY Official Sworn In By iPad

But even more importantly, I will check out the veracity of his reports first. That being said, Joe Jarvis is usually pretty good at getting the story right.

BTW, Ed Mangano is a REPUBLICAN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION] [MENTION=40495]AngelsNDemons[/MENTION] - for your advice

[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] - for your fun!

Last edited:
  • Banned
So there IS an app for that!

For the bible? Yes!

There is a great project, called the SWORD project, that has put together all of the most common translations of the Bible into one program, with cross-references and such. I have it on my Smartfon and all computers as either app or program. Great stuff.

If you like to read the Bible, I can heartily recommend it.

• Banned

Oh, I dunno. I mean, the Bible is not the paper it is printed on, but rather, the words and ideas that we read.

And there is nothing in the Constitution that mandates being sworn-in with a hand on any document at all. It is just a really nice tradition to which most like to adhere.

I can imagine that in 50 years from now, most people will have almost exclusively electronic libraries at home, including the Bible and such.

• Banned
And two small electoral tidbits pertinent to this that you might find fun:

Andrew Jackson, who won the Vice-Presidency in 1864, was so loaded at his swearing-in that he could hardly stand up.

And Rufus King, the 13th Vice-President, was not even in the USA for his inauguration. He was sworn-in while still in Cuba, allowed by an act of Congress. He also died of (we think) Tuberculosis about 6 weeks later, still in Cuba. Rufus King was Franklin Pierce's VP, but is best known for having cohabitated with another President, James Buchanan, something that fed the rumor-mill of that day.

To in any way try to equate America's current Apologist-in-Chief to George Washington is just so totally w-r-o-n-g!

Washington had absolutely NO aspiration to be king....even when the job was offered to him.

To in any way try to equate America's current Apologist-in-Chief to George Washington is just so totally w-r-o-n-g!

Washington had absolutely NO aspiration to be king....even when the job was offered to him.

And exactly where did that one come from?

You do realize that this ipad swearing in has absolutely nothing in the world to do with any presidents at all, right?

Generally speaking, yes. He was a Federalist, however (or at least allied with them). He didn't just pose for a presidential portrait; he sat for several of them. On his journey to New York to assume office, he didn't complain about the ceremony - cannon fire, accolades, etc. - bestowed on him. He grew the size of his administration (as did John Adams, another Federalist); Jefferson reduced it.

But still, you're right. His ego doesn't compare to that of our current Commander-in-Cheese.

Last edited:

Generally speaking, yes. He was a Federalist, however (or at least allied with them). He didn't just pose for a presidential portrait; he sat for several of them. On his journey to New York to assume office, he didn't complain about the ceremony - cannon fire, accolades, etc. - bestowed on him. He grew the size of his administration (as did John Adams, another Federalist); Jefferson reduced it.

But still, you're right. His ego doesn't compare to that of our current Commander-in-Cheese.

Enjoy your opinion. But it has nothing in the world to do with the OP. I just makes Conservatives look as if they don't comprehend the OP....

Sure you wanna go down that road?

BTW, Ed Mangano is a REPUBLICAN.

-

That he has a Bible app shows that he at least reads the Bible.....:)

Actually, I think it says good things about him.

The point about mentioning his party affiliation was that the RW blogosphere went batshit crazy, because they were assuming he was a "godless" DEM, when in reality, he is a GOPer who simply didn't have a bible on hand for his swearing-in. Stuff happens.

Can an IPAD store only one volume?

Volume of? Do you mean more than one bible?

Of course. Most ipads can store thousands and thousands and thousands of ebooks.
Bookcases can store more than one volume, too.

Putting your hand on a volume of books is like, well, putting your hand on a volume of books.

Sure, but when your ipad is opened to a specific book, then most likely you are reading THAT book, right?

But, by all means, feel free to criticize your fellow Republican. I didn't.

Forum List

Back