Nurses Die, Doctors Fall Sick and Panic Rises on Virus Front Lines

I don't even blame Trump for lack of PPE -- he could have easily said he will do all in his power to up the supply of PPE and continued singing the praises of doctors and nurses -- but since he is a narcissist -- he couldn't do it...

So for him to be defensive and minimize the need for PPE and to even imply that most of these doctors and nurses are lying about their need for these things -- that is not going to age well....
he isn't a governor. why should he do their jobs? dude, seriously, again with the equipment grows on trees argument.

I am happy this thread was never about Trump according to the Op'er!

Yep, I am happily taking Trump to task for leaving healthcare workers under-equipped and exposed to the pest.

It takes an astonishingly sub-par, paranoid imbecile to believe that indicates what the OP had in mind while posting the OP.
what was trump's job vs a governor's? so you give the governors a pass for not supplying their hospitals with needed materials? dude, that makes you dishonest. your views are meaningless.

Your stating that people would be alive today..who are dead..had de Blasio acted sooner--is unprovable. Just as blaming Trump for the deaths that some might feel are due to his inaction is. But one can make assumptions..we all do it. One day we'll have all the data..and a coherent timeline. Until then....use your brain.

That was a fine posting, and an enjoyable read. I agree with basically everything, with a bit of grudging here or there, but...

Errors, missteps, a lack of focus, incompetence in the context of a deadly pandemic cause suffering and fatalities. That's not disputable on any reasonable grounds.

The Obama administration left behind a pandemic preparedness plan detailing the steps to counter the threat, up to and including checklists as to the national stockpile of necessary protective gear. Had this plan been followed, in the full knowledge that north of 10,000 people travel from China to the U.S. every week, they could have started stockpiling in early to mid-January. Now the States, desperate for desperately needed gear, are bidding up prices and still run into shortages, reusing equipment that, reused, poses a health threat to both patients and healthcare workers.

With all that in mind: A pandemic that was known for some time to be highly contagious, to come with a high rate of hospitalization, could have been foreseen to swamp hospitals. For hospitals to work at the upper bounds of capacity, all hands need to be on deck. Leaving staff with less than optimal protection would result in disease and death among them, reducing overall capacity and standards of treatment. This is most assuredly going to result in additional deaths. Would things have been perfect had that preparedness plan been followed? Probably not, but better.

This is about real-world results, the coordination and cooperation between hospitals and government, and the failure to follow well-developed plans and procedures it is only one of Trump's "blunders", if you can call it that. For I would call it "a deliberately callous approach to governance". Yeah, people are most assuredly being killed because of it.

As always, the first responders and the medical people on the front-lines bear the brunt of the disease..I believe this to be a sombre peek into the future for most metro areas..and many rural medical centers as well. Some areas will get off relatively unscathed--those that are taking it seriously right now--but we are already running out of both trained personnel and supplies--and it is still early days.
I see many on the Right almost gleeful at the situation that NYC or LA are in right now..not having the brains to connect the dots and realize that it is just a matter of time before the Red states find that their rural areas are aflame..and there is no water left to put out the fire. I see posts here where idiots blame ventilators for deaths, rather than the disease--ignoring that the patient was put on the ventilator because they were dying in the first place. I see wacky conspiracy threads blaming the Chinese, the Russians and, above all, the left! To me, it's all just whistling past the graveyard--one month from now, hundreds of thousands will be dead. Most of the dead will be over 60...some will not. But I think it's clear that a disproportionate number will be in the medical field--thus reducing our ability to respond effectively.

Like generals steadying their troops before battle, hospital supervisors in New York have had to rally, cajole and sometimes threaten workers.
“Our health care systems are at war with a pandemic virus,” Craig R. Smith, the surgeon-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, wrote in an email to staff on March 16, the day after New York City shut down its school system to contain the virus. “You are expected to keep fighting with whatever weapons you’re capable of working.”
“Sick is relative,” he wrote, adding that workers would not even be tested for the virus unless they were “unequivocally exposed and symptomatic to the point of needing admission to the hospital.”
“That means you come to work,” he wrote. “Period.”

Arriving to work each day, doctors and nurses are met with confusion and chaos.
At a branch of the Montefiore hospital system in the Bronx, nurses wear their winter coats in an unheated tent set up to triage patients with symptoms, while at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, patients are sometimes dying before they can be moved into beds.
The inviolable rules that once gave a sense of rhythm and harmony to even the busiest emergency rooms have in some cases been cast aside. Few things have caused more anxiety than shifting protocols meant to preserve a dwindling supply of protective gear.
When the pandemic first hit New York, medical workers changed gowns and masks each time they visited an infected patient. Then, they were told to keep their protective gear on until the end of their shift. As supplies became even more scarce, one doctor working on an intensive care unit said he was asked to turn in his mask and face shield at the end of his shift to be sterilized for future use. Others are being told to store their masks in a paper bag between shifts.
“It puts us in danger, it puts our patients in danger. I can’t believe in the United States that’s what’s happening,” said Kelley Cabrera, an emergency room nurse at Jacobi Medical Center.
An emergency room doctor at Long Island Jewish Medical Center put it more bluntly: “It’s literally, wash your hands a lot, cross your fingers, pray.”

Doctors and nurses fear they could be transmitting the virus to their patients, compounding the crisis by transforming hospitals into incubators for the virus.

I am going to take you to task over what you wrote because it seem you believe the right is the only side writing shit threads and responses when your own fucking side is doing the damn same thing!

You care to explain why the Mayor of New York as of mid-February was spreading information that was wrong and is somewhat the cause of the Pandemic that has gripped the City?

Also why shouldn't someone blame China Government for their lying and covering up the details of the virus while allowing the infected to get on flights and ships and transmit the virus around the World?

Are you saying they do not hold any Responsibility but Trump holds it all?

If so then what the fuck have you been smoking?

Before you even respond you better know I have links with timelines that will point to Mayor Bill de Blasio own words and him lecturing the people of New York and telling them to go out and live their lives, so when the Mayor of Pandemic epicentre does what he did, well he owns the responsibility of killing his own Residents of his City and not even Trump or China can be blamed for his words and actions!

So get your damn facts straight before telling the other side who should be blamed because if Trump and the right are to blame then so are you, the left and Bill de Blasio!
Another idiot heard from..first, there is no 'my side' at work here...and no blame game going on...i note with amusement that you did not address the main thrust of the post at all..you know, the medical people at risk?

Your post is indeed proof of what i was referring to...knee-jerk BS and off-topic ranting..
huh? you said in the very first paragraph -I see many on the Right almost gleeful at the situation that NYC or LA are in right now.

dude, you need new drugs.
Many is not all..sorry for your butthurt. Almost gleeful is not jumping up and down for joy. Learn to read--and parse exact meaning. Perhaps if it galls you so much you are one of them? I dunno..but i have read many..yes many, posts here on this forum where you can see the satisfaction just ooze out--those Blue states are getting just what they deserve, is the unspoken..and sometimes spoken..subtext.

No, I'm not going to bother hunting them up and posting them.,.since my past interatcions with you have shown me that proof makes no difference with you and changes nothing.

As for better drugs....thanx for the offer..but I'm OK.

Please provide exact link where I have been happy about the deaths of anyone?

Remember you said I was one of them, so get to it and I can link those like Tommy Taint wishing for the death of Conservatives and some on the left wishing Conservatives get Coronavirus and die, so what do you say about those posters on your side?

Let me guess they are true Patriots?
Nope..reprehensible all of them. Regardless of party..as for you taking this personally..well...you have admitted you buy into the chinese conspiracy theory--so that is a given. I have no idea as to your feeling about libs dying in droves....perhaps you'd like to comment?

True patriots? Those are the ones on the frontlines..risking their lives for others..the ones giving their employees a paycheck even though they are at home....the volunteers risking all for those less well situated.

Definitly not the ones fighting irrelevant partisan battles in the midst of crisis.

Figures, you claimed those like me were happy at Blue State deaths when you grouped me in with the others, so seeing I never said that and you can not admit it means you are a filthy joke of a liar?
I note with amusement that you also don't deny it. ***chuckles***

Yes, I do deny that I support the death of Blue State people but anyone can see you are a lying asshole!

If for one moment you thought I had wrote it you would post a link and laugh, but you know very well I am not that type.

Also it was you posting about how the right did this while never mentioning those like Tommy Taint that did a full thread about his wish that Boris would die from the virus or many like you wish for the death of everyone that are not part of you lunatic way of thinking!

Also asshole it is idiots like you that think China wouldn't do anything dirty when fact is for decades China has been poisoning our own citizens with the help of the Cartel from Mexico, raping Africa for her resources and propping up brutal regimes in Iran, North Korea Venezuela, so yeah I believe the fucking assholes you love would try to infect the World and kill off as many as they can while idiots like you blame Trump!

So you want to blame someone for those nurses death then blame China Government and if not fuck off bitch!

Your stating that people would be alive today..who are dead..had de Blasio acted sooner--is unprovable. Just as blaming Trump for the deaths that some might feel are due to his inaction is. But one can make assumptions..we all do it. One day we'll have all the data..and a coherent timeline. Until then....use your brain.

That was a fine posting, and an enjoyable read. I agree with basically everything, with a bit of grudging here or there, but...

Errors, missteps, a lack of focus, incompetence in the context of a deadly pandemic cause suffering and fatalities. That's not disputable on any reasonable grounds.

The Obama administration left behind a pandemic preparedness plan detailing the steps to counter the threat, up to and including checklists as to the national stockpile of necessary protective gear. Had this plan been followed, in the full knowledge that north of 10,000 people travel from China to the U.S. every week, they could have started stockpiling in early to mid-January. Now the States, desperate for desperately needed gear, are bidding up prices and still run into shortages, reusing equipment that, reused, poses a health threat to both patients and healthcare workers.

With all that in mind: A pandemic that was known for some time to be highly contagious, to come with a high rate of hospitalization, could have been foreseen to swamp hospitals. For hospitals to work at the upper bounds of capacity, all hands need to be on deck. Leaving staff with less than optimal protection would result in disease and death among them, reducing overall capacity and standards of treatment. This is most assuredly going to result in additional deaths. Would things have been perfect had that preparedness plan been followed? Probably not, but better.

This is about real-world results, the coordination and cooperation between hospitals and government, and the failure to follow well-developed plans and procedures it is only one of Trump's "blunders", if you can call it that. For I would call it "a deliberately callous approach to governance". Yeah, people are most assuredly being killed because of it.

Well then tell us idiot when de Blasio told New Yorkers in January and February to go on with their daily lives when the data was shown the virus was dangerous was it his deliberate act to get people killed?

New York Mayor could have done more and yet felt the need during Chinese New Year to tell his residents of his City what bigots they were...

So, de Blasio is to blame for his own words you worthless coward!

Oh, had your Chinese Government taken the proper steps to notify the WHO and not cover what they allow to spread up, well those Nurses would have been alive and you would have not needed that response team now will ya!?!

Oh, and if you believe a member of the CDC being in China would have stopped this or even caught China lying, well you clearly are an idiot and a liar!

Now remember the Op'er said this thread was never about Trump...

As always, the first responders and the medical people on the front-lines bear the brunt of the disease..I believe this to be a sombre peek into the future for most metro areas..and many rural medical centers as well. Some areas will get off relatively unscathed--those that are taking it seriously right now--but we are already running out of both trained personnel and supplies--and it is still early days.
I see many on the Right almost gleeful at the situation that NYC or LA are in right now..not having the brains to connect the dots and realize that it is just a matter of time before the Red states find that their rural areas are aflame..and there is no water left to put out the fire. I see posts here where idiots blame ventilators for deaths, rather than the disease--ignoring that the patient was put on the ventilator because they were dying in the first place. I see wacky conspiracy threads blaming the Chinese, the Russians and, above all, the left! To me, it's all just whistling past the graveyard--one month from now, hundreds of thousands will be dead. Most of the dead will be over 60...some will not. But I think it's clear that a disproportionate number will be in the medical field--thus reducing our ability to respond effectively.

Like generals steadying their troops before battle, hospital supervisors in New York have had to rally, cajole and sometimes threaten workers.
“Our health care systems are at war with a pandemic virus,” Craig R. Smith, the surgeon-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, wrote in an email to staff on March 16, the day after New York City shut down its school system to contain the virus. “You are expected to keep fighting with whatever weapons you’re capable of working.”
“Sick is relative,” he wrote, adding that workers would not even be tested for the virus unless they were “unequivocally exposed and symptomatic to the point of needing admission to the hospital.”
“That means you come to work,” he wrote. “Period.”

Arriving to work each day, doctors and nurses are met with confusion and chaos.
At a branch of the Montefiore hospital system in the Bronx, nurses wear their winter coats in an unheated tent set up to triage patients with symptoms, while at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, patients are sometimes dying before they can be moved into beds.
The inviolable rules that once gave a sense of rhythm and harmony to even the busiest emergency rooms have in some cases been cast aside. Few things have caused more anxiety than shifting protocols meant to preserve a dwindling supply of protective gear.
When the pandemic first hit New York, medical workers changed gowns and masks each time they visited an infected patient. Then, they were told to keep their protective gear on until the end of their shift. As supplies became even more scarce, one doctor working on an intensive care unit said he was asked to turn in his mask and face shield at the end of his shift to be sterilized for future use. Others are being told to store their masks in a paper bag between shifts.
“It puts us in danger, it puts our patients in danger. I can’t believe in the United States that’s what’s happening,” said Kelley Cabrera, an emergency room nurse at Jacobi Medical Center.
An emergency room doctor at Long Island Jewish Medical Center put it more bluntly: “It’s literally, wash your hands a lot, cross your fingers, pray.”

Doctors and nurses fear they could be transmitting the virus to their patients, compounding the crisis by transforming hospitals into incubators for the virus.
As far as the nurses/doctors on the front line...well yes, you are stating the obvious.
In a war soldiers do the majority of the fighting and dying. In this “war” against Wuhan virus, medical personnel are those on the front line.

The rest of your rant is a lame attempt to attack “those on the right”.

I hope nobody is happy anyone is dying.

But your article is about New York. Right now it seems to be it's own world. The virus is everywhere but it isn't wreaking that kind of havoc.

BTW: I did not read about any nurses dying in your article. Was it in there ?
From the link:

A doctor at Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan described the unnerving experience of walking daily past an intubated, critically ill colleague in her 30s, wondering who would be next.

Bing COVID-19 tracker: Latest numbers by country and state
Another doctor at a major New York City hospital described it as “a petri dish,” where more than 200 workers had fallen sick.

Two nurses in city hospitals have died.

The coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 30,000 people in New York City, is beginning to take a toll on those who are most needed to combat it: the doctors, nurses and other workers at hospitals and clinics. In emergency rooms and intensive care units, typically dispassionate medical professionals are feeling panicked as increasing numbers of colleagues get sick.
Thomas Riley, a nurse at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, started coming down with symptoms of Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, two weeks ago. He is improving.
“I feel like we’re all just being sent to slaughter,” said Thomas Riley, a nurse at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, who has contracted the virus, along with his husband.

Medical workers are still showing up day after day to face overflowing emergency rooms, earning them praise as heroes. Thousands of volunteers have signed up to join their colleagues.

But doctors and nurses said they can look overseas for a dark glimpse of the risk they are facing, especially when protective gear has been in short supply.

a group of people walking down a street next to a fence: A line formed outside Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, one of the hardest-hit medical centers in the coronavirus epidemic.
© Dave Sanders for The New York Times A line formed outside Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, one of the hardest-hit medical centers in the coronavirus epidemic.
In China, more than 3,000 doctors were infected, nearly half of them in Wuhan, where the pandemic began, according to Chinese government statistics. Li Wenliang, the Chinese doctor who first tried to raise the alarm about Covid-19, eventually died of it.
In Italy, the number of infected heath care workers is now twice the Chinese total, and the National Federation of Orders of Surgeons and Dentists has compiled a list of 50 who have died. Nearly 14 percent of Spain’s confirmed coronavirus cases are medical professionals.
New York City’s health care system is sprawling and disjointed, making precise infection rates among medical workers difficult to calculate. A spokesman for the Health and Hospitals Corporation, which runs New York City’s public hospitals, said the agency would not share data about sick medical workers “at this time.”

Also..https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nyc-nurse-who-treated-covid-19-patient-dies-another-hospital-reports-13-deaths-in-one-day/2344831/
16% of Maine's cases are healthcare workers. I'm not sure how they're keeping it that low, tbh.

As far as the nurses/doctors on the front line...well yes, you are stating the obvious.
In a war soldiers do the majority of the fighting and dying. In this “war” against Wuhan virus, medical personnel are those on the front line.

Like (1) Bruce_T_Laney​

Yeah, that is a lot of words to express "expendable" - as long as it isn't you two. This thread's point isn't that healthcare workers work carries a certain risk. The point is they are needlessly and gratuitously under-equipped, understaffed, overworked and exposed to the pest because of Trump's habitual callous carelessness and his criminal negligence and incompetence. But, in order to defend your Dear Leader and his precious, fragile ego, you two lick-spittle sycophants need to dismiss healthcare workers as expendable.

You two define "lowlife asshole". Actually, you are defining it down.

Actually, in every war, starting with WW II, civilians did the majority of the dying. So, as usual, ignorance goes along well with callousness.

In my forum experience, the two of you are actually expendable. Useless. Redundant. Superfluous.

I hope nobody is happy anyone is dying.

But your article is about New York. Right now it seems to be it's own world. The virus is everywhere but it isn't wreaking that kind of havoc.

BTW: I did not read about any nurses dying in your article. Was it in there ?
From the link:

A doctor at Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan described the unnerving experience of walking daily past an intubated, critically ill colleague in her 30s, wondering who would be next.

Bing COVID-19 tracker: Latest numbers by country and state
Another doctor at a major New York City hospital described it as “a petri dish,” where more than 200 workers had fallen sick.

Two nurses in city hospitals have died.

The coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 30,000 people in New York City, is beginning to take a toll on those who are most needed to combat it: the doctors, nurses and other workers at hospitals and clinics. In emergency rooms and intensive care units, typically dispassionate medical professionals are feeling panicked as increasing numbers of colleagues get sick.
Thomas Riley, a nurse at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, started coming down with symptoms of Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, two weeks ago. He is improving.
“I feel like we’re all just being sent to slaughter,” said Thomas Riley, a nurse at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, who has contracted the virus, along with his husband.

Medical workers are still showing up day after day to face overflowing emergency rooms, earning them praise as heroes. Thousands of volunteers have signed up to join their colleagues.

But doctors and nurses said they can look overseas for a dark glimpse of the risk they are facing, especially when protective gear has been in short supply.

a group of people walking down a street next to a fence: A line formed outside Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, one of the hardest-hit medical centers in the coronavirus epidemic.
© Dave Sanders for The New York Times A line formed outside Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, one of the hardest-hit medical centers in the coronavirus epidemic.
In China, more than 3,000 doctors were infected, nearly half of them in Wuhan, where the pandemic began, according to Chinese government statistics. Li Wenliang, the Chinese doctor who first tried to raise the alarm about Covid-19, eventually died of it.
In Italy, the number of infected heath care workers is now twice the Chinese total, and the National Federation of Orders of Surgeons and Dentists has compiled a list of 50 who have died. Nearly 14 percent of Spain’s confirmed coronavirus cases are medical professionals.
New York City’s health care system is sprawling and disjointed, making precise infection rates among medical workers difficult to calculate. A spokesman for the Health and Hospitals Corporation, which runs New York City’s public hospitals, said the agency would not share data about sick medical workers “at this time.”

Also..https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nyc-nurse-who-treated-covid-19-patient-dies-another-hospital-reports-13-deaths-in-one-day/2344831/
16% of Maine's cases are healthcare workers. I'm not sure how they're keeping it that low, tbh.

That is difficult to hear.

Thanks for sharing.

Like (1) Bruce_T_Laney​

Yeah, that is a lot of words to express "expendable" - as long as it isn't you two. This thread's point isn't that healthcare workers work carries a certain risk. The point is they are needlessly and gratuitously under-equipped, understaffed, overworked and exposed to the pest because of Trump's habitual callous carelessness and his criminal negligence and incompetence. But, in order to defend your Dear Leader and his precious, fragile ego, you two lick-spittle sycophants need to dismiss healthcare workers as expendable.

You two define "lowlife asshole". Actually, you are defining it down.

Actually, in every war, starting with WW II, civilians did the majority of the dying. So, as usual, ignorance goes along well with callousness.

In my forum experience, the two of you are actually expendable. Useless. Redundant. Superfluous.
And that’s on the president why?

Forum List

Back