Nukes, Iran, North Korea and their Russian and Chinese guardians

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
North Korea is nuclear because China supports it. If China had opposed it, they wouldn't be nuclear. If China opposed it, North Korea would be forced to give up their nuclear weapons.

Iran wants to be the next North Korea, and Russia supports it.

Obviously, China and Russia are not keeping in the spirit of nuclear non-proliferation. Who is the next rogue state to receive their support for building a nuclear arsenal?

With regard to North Korea, the American approach was to issue sanctions and call it a day, which is akin to putting one's head in the sand, so to speak. Then Trump came along and took a different approach. He threatened them. And then he decided to try the carrot approach.

With Iran, we're imposing sanctions, but I don't believe that will prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapons arsenal and that may result in war between Israel and Iran, a war that we would highly liked be drawn into.

The problem isn't North Korea and Iran. The problem is China and Russia. If the Russians and Chinese were with us on preventing the proliferation of nuclear weapons, we could join forces and FORCE them to be non-nuclear. But, alas, that is not the case.

So what should our approach be?

With regard to North Korea, we approach South Korea and Japan and, together, we privately inform China that, unless North Korea disposes of ALL of their nuclear weapons and enriched uranium, etc.,
South Korea and Japan will both build their own nuclear arsenals.

I believe THAT would compel China to finally do the right thing and FORCE North Korea to disarm. And if not? Japan and South Korea should follow through and build their own nuclear deterrence.

We could then apply the same approach to Russia. Hey Russia, you support Iran having nukes? Ok, how do you feel if we assist Ukraine in building their own nuclear arsenal? How about Poland or Georgia?

Ultimately, I believe that North Korea and Iran would be non-nuclear and we may be able to keep the nuclear club small. What we're doing now doesn't seem to be working.

Obviously, China and Russia are not keeping in the spirit of nuclear non-proliferation.
The US is in breach of Articles 1 and 6 of the NPT. You can talk about other nations when the US is in compliance.

Forum List

Back