NSA statement does not deny 'spying' on members of Congress

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
The National Security Agency on Saturday released a statement in answer to questions from a senator about whether it “has spied, or is … currently spying, on members of Congress or other American elected officials”, in which it did not deny collecting communications from legislators of the US Congress to whom it says it is accountable.

In a letter dated 3 January, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont defined “spying” as “gathering metadata on calls made from official or personal phones, content from websites visited or emails sent, or collecting any other data from a third party not made available to the general public in the regular course of business”.

NSA statement does not deny 'spying' on members of Congress | World news | theguardian.com

The statement read: “NSA’s authorities to collect signals intelligence data include procedures that protect the privacy of US persons. Such protections are built into and cut across the entire process. Members of Congress have the same privacy protections as all US persons. NSA is fully committed to transparency with Congress. Our interaction with Congress has been extensive both before and since the media disclosures began last June.

“We are reviewing Senator Sanders’s letter now, and we will continue to work to ensure that all members of Congress, including Senator Sanders, have information about NSA’s mission, authorities, and programs to fully inform the discharge of their duties.”

"Members of Congress have the same privacy protections as all US persons."

So, none. A beautifully written obfuscation, however.

That'll be ............... none at all.

Spies snooping on elected officials.
East Germany under Soviet rule or free America?

That'll be ............... none at all.

Spies snooping on elected officials.
East Germany under Soviet rule or free America?

I find it hard to feel bad about elected politicians being spied on, but it is an example of the lawlessness going on at the NSA.

it is getting more of a "none scandal" every day, isn't it ? :D

Wow.

Just fucking wow.

Fucking Nazis in the White House
I told you he's exactly like Hitler.

Yep. Exactly like Hitler. You know, except for not invading Poland, gassing Jews, eugenics... but still... HE'S HITLER! :cuckoo:

There are plenty of legitimate arguments you can make against Obama and the NSA spying, but when you make comments like "he's exactly like Hitler" it's hard for anybody to take anything else you say seriously.

These abuses were bound to take place no matter who had won in 2012, aside from maybe Ron Paul. The Patriot Act was a monster that never should have been created.

Wow.

Just fucking wow.

Fucking Nazis in the White House
I told you he's exactly like Hitler.

Yep. Exactly like Hitler. You know, except for not invading Poland, gassing Jews, eugenics... but still... HE'S HITLER! :cuckoo:

There are plenty of legitimate arguments you can make against Obama and the NSA spying, but when you make comments like "he's exactly like Hitler" it's hard for anybody to take anything else you say seriously.

These abuses were bound to take place no matter who had won in 2012, aside from maybe Ron Paul. The Patriot Act was a monster that never should have been created.
Exactly like Hitler doesn't mean that he does the same things Hitler did. It means he thinks the same way, he uses the same kind of tactics, he's power hungry and narcissistic like Hitler and thinks he has the right to dictate our lives, like Hitler. But I think you knew what I meant.

Forum List

Back