Now It's Both NY Times and WaPo Being Investigated!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Not a moment too soon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/30/AR2005123000538.html

Justice Department Probing Domestic Spying Leak

By Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 30, 2005; 12:45 PM

The Justice Department has opened an investigation into the disclosure of classified information about a domestic surveillance program authorized by President Bush after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, officials said today.

Justice prosecutors will examine whether classified information was unlawfully disclosed to the New York Times, which reported two weeks ago that the National Security Agency had been conducting electronic surveillance on U.S. citizens and residents without court-approved warrants.

The probe is the latest in a series of controversial investigations into leaks of classified information during the Bush administration, including the disclosure of a CIA agent's identity that has resulted in criminal charges against former vice presidential adviser I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

The Justice Department has also opened a probe into whether classified information was illegally disclosed to The Washington Post, which reported on a network of secret CIA prisons in Eastern Europe and elsewhere.

The disclosure of the domestic spying program by the NSA, which is normally confined to overseas operations, has setoff a firestorm of criticism from civil liberties advocates and prompted plans for hearings on Capitol Hill. The secret program has also angered some judges on a special court that is supposed to oversee clandestine surveillance within the United States, including one who submitted his resignation.

In an unusual step, Bush has publicly acknowledged the program's existence, has described details of its operation and has argued that the initiative is legal in a time of war.

The Times has said it held a story on the program for a year after the administration argued its disclosure would harm national security. Additional reporting was done before the story was published, the newspaper has said.

Abbey Normal said:

I know, I was shocked! I just was wishing for, make that demanding this to happen this morning. Only problem, they haven't mentioned the LA Times! :grrrr:

Kathianne said:
I know, I was shocked! I just was wishing for, make that demanding this to happen this morning. Only problem, they haven't mentioned the LA Times! :grrrr:

Kathianne, since you have these powers, can you also demand that Hillary not run in '08? Please? :thup:

There was something circling around in my mind about all of this.... I couldn't get it to focus, until JUST NOW!!!!

So.... the MSM has been saying "shame on W for disclosing the name of Valerie Plame, the so called CIA operative, in retribution for her husband Joe "No Yellowcake in Nigeria" Wilson's stance on the war in Iraq" and jeopardizing cover operations and the lives of agents....

but....

when the MSM outs what could be classified information about domestic surveillance, it's a whole new story isn't it? Now, there's a coverup, Bush is walking all over the Constitution, the libs are citing the Consitution (as if, suddenly, the Constitution meant something to a lib)....

So, they're being investigated, great!!!! maybe it will help them stay fair and balanced.... oh wait, Fox News does that and it's a branch of the Bush adminstration....

I gotta get some Brioschi, the agita is just killing me!

Thank heavens a decision has finally been made to investigate these leaks and get to the bottom of this national disgrace. More power to the Justice Department. I hope this investigation will not be a long-drawn out affair as we need to know who has been responsible for the airing of classified information and get this stopped pronto! The NYT and the WaPO should both be held accountable, along with the leakers. They're all in it together.

Abbey Normal said:
Kathianne, since you have these powers, can you also demand that Hillary not run in '08? Please? :thup:

Wishing really hard!!! That if she does run, she gets trounced so decisively that she never runs again.

Adam's Apple said:
Thank heavens a decision has finally been made to investigate these leaks and get to the bottom of this national disgrace. More power to the Justice Department. I hope this investigation will not be a long-drawn out affair as we need to know who has been responsible for the airing of classified information and get this stopped pronto! The NYT and the WaPO should both be held accountable, along with the leakers. They're all in it together.

O cmon---some think we should be privy to everything our elected officials discuss. Don't they understand that some of us vote for them in hopes that they will keep secrets that are necessary to our national security? If the ACLU thinks this "Glastnost" thing is so great, how about them opening up thier own books and lead by example.

http://www.floppingaces.net/2005/12/30/justice-dept-finally-investigating-the-leak/

Lots more with links:

UPDATE II

A commentor on Free Republic who has talked to people in the know say:

Sorry All, I was on the phone trying to get some dirt on this. So far, the strong RUMOR is that they know who did it and it is more than one person. The investigation is already underway, and reporters WILL be questioned.

Of course there is no way to tell if the commentor really knows people in the know….but it would not surprise me that the Justice Department already has a ton of info on who did it.

Cough Rockefeller & Judge Robertson Cough

UPDATE III

Recall the original story done by the NYT’s stated:

“Nearly a dozen current and former officials, who were granted anonymity because of the classified nature of the program, discussed it with reporters for The New York Times because of their concerns about the operation’s legality and oversight.”

More to chew on….

and a bit more:

UPDATE V

AJStrata has confirmed the information about the leaker being known already. Hopefully this pans out.

I am being told in private by someone with sources that there are multiple targets, Flopping Aces is right that the targets are known since the investigation is well along, and the Robertson resignation is linked.

UPDATE VI

MacRanger skewers the lawyer who said on Fox News this morning that the Government has no right to go after the leakers:

Mr. Devine needs to stop the bloviating and read up on TITLE 18: PART I: CHAPTER 37 : § 798 Disclosure of classified information, to wit:

Go read the rest for yourself. Good stuff.

ok, one more:
UPDATE IX

The ACLU is coming out with their usual shrill cries:

The American Civil Liberties Union has urged the government to name a special counsel to determine whether Bush violated federal wiretapping laws by authorizing illegal surveillance.

In a statement on Friday, the ACLU criticized the Justice Department’s investigation.

“President Bush broke the law and lied to the American people when he unilaterally authorized secret wiretaps of U.S. citizens,” said ACLU executive director Anthony Romero.

“But rather than focus on this constitutional crisis, Attorney General (Alberto) Gonzales is cracking down on critics of his friend and boss,” he said. “Our nation is strengthened, not weakened by those whistle-blowers who are courageous enough to speak out on violations of the law.”

Funny how supposed educated individuals can be so ignorant at times. ANYONE who has looked at the laws regarding these wiretaps knows that NO law was broken. The left can hope, wish and pray as much as they want that this will be the smoking gun that finally allows them to bring down Bush but the only thing that’s going to happen is they will look even more like traitors to our country. War on Terror or no War on Terror, all they care about is who is in power. Sad bunch.

Forum List

Back