November 5th is Red Head Day! Some Red head facts you may not know

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Lol, this stuff is so cool, and yes, I am a red head.

Redhead day is Nov. 5! 9 fun facts about red hair

1. The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%) followed by Ireland (10%). Worldwide, only 2% of the population has red hair.
  2. People with red hair are likely more sensitive to pain. This is because the gene mutation (MC1R) that causes red hair is on the same gene linked to pain receptors. It also means redheads usually need more anesthesia for dental and medical procedures.
  3. Having red hair isn't the only thing that makes some redheads unique. They are also more likely to be left handed. Both characteristics come from recessive genes, which like to come in pairs.
  4. Redheads probably won't go grey. That's because the pigment just fades over time. So they will probably go blonde and even white, but not grey.
  5. Rumor says Hitler banned marriage between redheads. Apparently he thought it would lead to "deviant offspring."
  6. Redheads most commonly have brown eyes. The least common eye color: blue.
  7. Bees have been proven to be more attracted to redheads.
  8. Being a redheaded man may have health benefits. A study published by the British Journal of Cancer suggested that men with red hair are 54% less likely to develop prostate cancer than their brown and blonde-haired counterparts.
  9. Redheads actually have less hair than most other people. On average they only have 90,000 strands of hair while blonds, for example, have 140,000. However, red hair is typically thicker so they it still looks just as full.

38 Interesting Facts about Redheads | FactRetriever.com

• Approximately 1-2% of humans, or about two in 100 people in the world, have red hair.[11]
  • The ancient Greeks believed that redheads would turn into vampires after they died.[9][10]
  • Otherwise dark hair may turn red or blond in cases of severe protein deficiency due to starvation.[3]
  • During the Middle Ages, a child with red hair was thought to be conceived during “unclean sex” or during menstruation.[2]
  • Red hair doesn’t gray as much as other hair colors. Red hair initially tends to turn blond and then white.[2]
  • According to Hamburg sex researcher Dr. Werner Habermehl, women with red hair have more sex than women with other hair colors. He also postulates that women in a relationship who dye their hair red may be signaling that they are unhappy and looking for something better.[7]
  • Because natural red hair holds its pigment more than other colors, it is harder to dye.[2]
  • Lilith, the supposed first wife of Adam, is said to have had red hair. She was ultimately kicked out of the Garden of Eden because she refused to be subordinate to Adam.[9]
  • Redheaded women report bruising more easily than other women of different hair colors.[6]
  • People with red hair have twice the risk of developing Parkinson’s Disease.[4]
  • Because redheads have thicker hair than people with other hair colors, they have fewer strands of hair. For example, while blondes have on average 140,000 hairs, redheads have approximately 90,000.[2]
  • Hitler reportedly banned the marriage of redheads in order to prevent “deviant offspring.”[9]
  • During the witch hunts of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in Europe, many women were burned at the stake as witches merely because they had red hair.[9]
  • According to George Chapman’s 1613 play Bussy D’Ambois, the perfect poison must include the fat of a red-haired man.[9]
  • According to legend, the first redhead was Prince Idon of Mu who, upon discovering Atlantis, was imprinted with the island’s stunning red sunset and leaves in the form of red hair and freckles so future generations would be reminded of Atlantis’ first sunset.[3]
  • Red hair is a recessive trait, which means that a child must inherit one red hair gene from each parent. Recessive traits often come in pairs, and redheads are more likely than other people to be left handed.[2]
  • Some scholars speculate that because Adam was from “red earth” and the Hebrew word for “red” is adom, that Adam was a redhead.[9]
  • According to Playboy magazine, “Redheads are like other women—only more so.”[3]
  • Scholars note that redheads have influenced history out of proportion to their numbers. Famous redheads include Roman emperor Nero, Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, the ancient god of love Aphrodite, Queen Elizabeth I, Napoleon Bonaparte, Oliver Cromwell, Emily Dickinson, Antonio Vivaldi, Thomas Jefferson, Vincent Van Gogh, Mark Twain, James Joyce, Winston Churchill, Malcolm X, Galileo, and King David.[2]
  • The most rare hair color in humans is red.[2]

Was blonde until I was about ten and then my hair turned Strawberry Blonde and then when I went into the Navy it got shaved off and turned white...

One of my aunts that were auburn red never had a shred of grey hair...

It must have been the Scottish gene...

Also my sister eyes are green and mine are hazel and none of the redheads in the family are blue eyed and all of us are left handed...

The non-red heads would call us the seeds of Lucifer because of the hair and eye color and being left handed...

I have red hair. I don't think it's funny you saying I'll come back as a vampire. I've drained a shitload of people dry for saying less!

Forum List

Back