Not really Fraud, but...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
So, in 1973 I married a nice young lady named Mary. Now her name is "Mary Jones."

Ten years or so later, my brother married his second wife, Mary. 15 years after that my brother died. My S-I-L told several people that she was going to go back to her maiden name because she found out that my brother was "fooling around" before his death. (I have no idea whether this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me). Later, she changed her mind, partly because she wanted to maintain the relationship she had nurtured with my brother's kids - now middle-aged adults, who of course had the same last name.

Now this woman has become a prolific FB participant using the name, "Mary Jones." The result was initially people constantly calling my wife saying things like, "I didn't know you were a member of the garden club!" - which she wasn't. And things like that.

In fact, we have just enough mutual contacts, and the OTHER Mary Jones has started posting on threads that have nothing to do with HER, that my wife has simply given up. Any time she posts anything, our circle of friends and acquaintances assume that it was posted by the other Mary Jones.

Is there a law against FB identity snatching?

It kind of goes with the territory of having a common first and last name. There are pros and cons. A pro is that having a common name provides an element anonymity because there are so many "Mary Jones" that one can usually claim "Well that was a different "Mary Jones".

Forum List

Back