Not Just Seattle: Minimum Wage Hike Slowing Job Growth, Fewer Jobs, Fewer Hours, Raising Prices

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
PROVEN WRONG AGAIN

Not just Seattle. NYC feeling the heat from minimum wage hikes - Hot Air

"Seattle, however, isn’t the only place this effect is being seen. The minimum wage has been jumping upward in New York City also and similar effects are being felt. Nowhere is this more true than in the restaurant business, traditionally a market segment where people with minimal education and experience can get an entry level job. But now that’s beginning to change.

The New York restaurant industry is slowing down, adding fewer jobs and shedding eateries amidst recent hikes in the minimum wage.

The Empire State lost 1,000 restaurants last year and the number of jobs as cooks, servers and dishwashers grew by an anemic 1.4 percent. That’s a far cry from the 4.4 percent annual growth the state’s eateries enjoyed from 2010 to 2015, according to the Employment Policies Institute, a nonprofit research group.

The Big Apple accounts for the lion’s share of the state’s growth — and the slowdowns in the city are more dramatic.

Employment growth at fast-food restaurants in the city — which are required to pay $12 an hour, or $1 more than other employers — shriveled to 3.4 percent last year compared with 7 percent growth from 2010 to 2015. The spiral has continued into 2017, which has generated just 2 percent growth through May."

Liberals love to argue with Conservatives, arguing against the negative effects of artificially manipulated, forced increases in minimum wage. They can't, however, argue with the facts and statistics.

"Restaurant owners are reporting that, in order to remain profitable they’ve had to cut their staffing by up to 10% and reduce hours for the workers. They’ve also raised their prices to accommodate the surge in labor costs. This means fewer customers, particularly in an area where they have so many options.

Remind me again who the Fight For 15 was supposed to help? Because it certainly doesn’t sound like it’s doing the lower skill workers any favors."

It's a clearly marked path. From cities like Seattle and New York to states like Illinois to countries like Venezuela.

Democrats live in a fantasy world where people become better off by business owners simply giving their workers more money...where increased costs are magically ignored / have no impact, where business owners simply take the higher operating costs in the shorts instead of making changes to off-set the increased cost, where they just take it in the shorts, even if the increased costs force them into operating in the red and on the way to collapse / bankruptcy.

What a delightful, magical place that must be....

upload_2017-6-27_10-15-4.jpeg

"One evening as the sun went down
And the jungle fires were burning,
Down the track came a hobo hiking,
And he said, "Boys, I'm not turning;

I'm headed for a land that's far away
Beside the crystal fountains
So come with me, we'll go and see
The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,
There's a land that's fair and bright,
Where the handouts grow on bushes
And you sleep out every night.

Where the boxcars all are empty
And the sun shines every day
On the birds and the bees
And the cigarette trees

The lemonade springs
Where the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains.
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

All the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
The farmers' trees are full of fruit

And…
And the barns are full of hay
Oh I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow

Where the rain don't fall
The winds don't blow

You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks
The brakemen have to tip their hats

And the railway bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew
And of whiskey too
You can paddle all around them
In a big canoe

The jails are made of tin.
And you can walk right out again,
As soon as you are in.

There ain't no short-handled shovels,
No axes, saws nor picks,
I'm bound to stay
Where you sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk
That invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains ...

I'll see you all this coming fall
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains."

One more thing we told them wouldn't work....stupid leftists
One more thing we told them would not work in our system of preferred govt. It is one thing that aids them in expediting the change to their preferred system of govt. / control.

Calif Gov Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown:

Economically, minimum wages may not make sense, but morally and socially and politically they make every sense, because it binds the community together and makes sure that parents can take care of their kids in a much more satisfactory way.”

Calif Gov Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown:

Economically, minimum wages may not make sense, but morally and socially and politically they make every sense, because it binds the community together and makes sure that parents can take care of their kids in a much more satisfactory way.”

Gov Moonbeam is a moron

Where there is a will there is a way

These fast food restaurants are going to become like grocery stores with the self checkouts with one person handling 6 plus kiosks.

There is a fast food breakfast place that has 4 tablets that you can order from and one person who checks out cash only customers. So it is happening a lot quicker than many people realize

Democrats live in a fantasy world where people become better off by business owners simply giving their workers more money...where increased costs are magically ignored / have no impact, where business owners simply take the higher operating costs in the shorts instead of making changes to off-set the increased cost, where they just take it in the shorts, even if the increased costs force them into operating in the red and on the way to collapse / bankruptcy.

What a delightful, magical place that must be....

View attachment 135785

"One evening as the sun went down
And the jungle fires were burning,
Down the track came a hobo hiking,
And he said, "Boys, I'm not turning;

I'm headed for a land that's far away
Beside the crystal fountains
So come with me, we'll go and see
The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

There's a land that's fair and bright,
Where the handouts grow on bushes
And you sleep out every night.

Where the boxcars all are empty
And the sun shines every day
On the birds and the bees
And the cigarette trees

The lemonade springs
Where the bluebird sings

All the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs

And…
And the barns are full of hay
Oh I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow

Where the rain don't fall
The winds don't blow

You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks
The brakemen have to tip their hats

And the railway bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew
And of whiskey too
You can paddle all around them
In a big canoe

The jails are made of tin.
And you can walk right out again,
As soon as you are in.

There ain't no short-handled shovels,
No axes, saws nor picks,
I'm bound to stay
Where you sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk
That invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains ...

I'll see you all this coming fall
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains."

PROVEN WRONG AGAIN

Not just Seattle. NYC feeling the heat from minimum wage hikes - Hot Air

"Seattle, however, isn’t the only place this effect is being seen. The minimum wage has been jumping upward in New York City also and similar effects are being felt. Nowhere is this more true than in the restaurant business, traditionally a market segment where people with minimal education and experience can get an entry level job. But now that’s beginning to change.

The New York restaurant industry is slowing down, adding fewer jobs and shedding eateries amidst recent hikes in the minimum wage.

The Empire State lost 1,000 restaurants last year and the number of jobs as cooks, servers and dishwashers grew by an anemic 1.4 percent. That’s a far cry from the 4.4 percent annual growth the state’s eateries enjoyed from 2010 to 2015, according to the Employment Policies Institute, a nonprofit research group.

The Big Apple accounts for the lion’s share of the state’s growth — and the slowdowns in the city are more dramatic.

Employment growth at fast-food restaurants in the city — which are required to pay $12 an hour, or $1 more than other employers — shriveled to 3.4 percent last year compared with 7 percent growth from 2010 to 2015. The spiral has continued into 2017, which has generated just 2 percent growth through May."

Liberals love to argue with Conservatives, arguing against the negative effects of artificially manipulated, forced increases in minimum wage. They can't, however, argue with the facts and statistics.

"Restaurant owners are reporting that, in order to remain profitable they’ve had to cut their staffing by up to 10% and reduce hours for the workers. They’ve also raised their prices to accommodate the surge in labor costs. This means fewer customers, particularly in an area where they have so many options.

Remind me again who the Fight For 15 was supposed to help? Because it certainly doesn’t sound like it’s doing the lower skill workers any favors."

/---- Reality bites in Maine: Maine restaurant workers successfully lobby to lower the minimum wage

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Where I live, waitressing is HORRIBLE: I have no problem Throwing Ruby Tuesday 'under the bus'....

My daughter waitressed there for a while. They made sure the waitresses never made above minimum wage working, to include tips they made. if their tips and salary combined equal more than minimum wage they subtracted the amount of tips from their wages until it all came out to them receiving minimum wage.

Also, waitresses had to pay the Hostess out of their tip money. One night my daughter mad ZERO in tips, but the management made her go across the street to an ATM to take out money from her account - as she had no money on her - to pay the hostess for that night's work. yes, basically, MY DAUGHTER PAID TO WORK that night.

That was the last straw - she quit.

Forum List

Back