North Korea and why Iran wants the bomb......

geauxtohell

Choose your weapon.
Jun 27, 2009
Out here in the middle.
It's no secret. Iran wants the bomb. However, despite the what the saber rattlers (on both sides) say, it's not to destroy Israel. Iran leaders and the Mullahcracy are smart enough to know that any strike against Israel would spell their doom. The current regime would lose any support they have from Russia and others and they would be systematically dismantled by a multinational coalition of forces. And virtually every American (to include myself) would support that, even though it would ensure another 10 year counter insurgency effort. We are extremely effective at destroying governmental infrastructure and removing leadership (and less adept at fighting the counterinsurgency).

Instead, Iran wants the bomb for one reason alone: it makes them invasion proof. After watching us invade two of their neighbors in the last decade and seeing us on both of their flanks, their paranoia is somewhat understandable. The day Iran announces they have the bomb is the day invasion pragmatically goes off the table.

As evidence of this, look at North Korea. Perhaps the most obnoxious rogue nation in the "Axis of Evil". We never even threaten invasion. Why? N. Korea has the bomb and Soul is within lobbing distance.

Something to keep in mind in the upcoming election as the GOP field (and perhaps even Obama) will become more hawkish over Iran.

Exactly.

They'd use it as a last ditch move in the event that we invaded them, because what would they have to lose at that point.

It's easier to portray them as lunatics who'd prefer to initiate their own destruction by merely sending one lousy missile though.

It's no secret. Iran wants the bomb. However, despite the what the saber rattlers (on both sides) say, it's not to destroy Israel. Iran leaders and the Mullahcracy are smart enough to know that any strike against Israel would spell their doom. The current regime would lose any support they have from Russia and others and they would be systematically dismantled by a multinational coalition of forces. And virtually every American (to include myself) would support that, even though it would ensure another 10 year counter insurgency effort. We are extremely effective at destroying governmental infrastructure and removing leadership (and less adept at fighting the counterinsurgency).

Instead, Iran wants the bomb for one reason alone: it makes them invasion proof. After watching us invade two of their neighbors in the last decade and seeing us on both of their flanks, their paranoia is somewhat understandable. The day Iran announces they have the bomb is the day invasion pragmatically goes off the table.

As evidence of this, look at North Korea. Perhaps the most obnoxious rogue nation in the "Axis of Evil". We never even threaten invasion. Why? N. Korea has the bomb and Soul is within lobbing distance.

Something to keep in mind in the upcoming election as the GOP field (and perhaps even Obama) will become more hawkish over Iran.

:finger3: Thats for the avatar

Youre right of course. Or at least I agree with your premise. Well done sir.

:finger3: Thats for the avatar

Youre right of course. Or at least I agree with your premise. Well done sir.

Well thanks.

That's more than likely the case.

Except 12vers are in charge of things and these kooks are suicidal and want to bring about armagedden [-1sp]

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst

That's more than likely the case.

Except 12vers are in charge of things and these kooks are suicidal and want to bring about armagedden [-1sp]

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst

I am sorry, but I just don't believe that to be the case. I think every leader (or cabal of leaders) wants one thing above all others, to hold onto their power. We are very good at eliminating government. Iran knows that.

The problem with "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is that it leads to this insane policy of "pre-emptive war".

Exactly right about Iran.

Sorta wrong about North Korea. North Korea has nothing. No wants anything from them. They are having trouble just keeping a population in their country. Everyone wants to leave.

Instead, Iran wants the bomb for one reason alone: it makes them invasion proof.

Another exercize in illogic from our resident Gigglemeister. :D Exactly who would invade Iran, since the perfectly positioned and armed Iraq tried and failed in the 1980s? And why would the US invade Iran? Does ANYBODY really believe the US would do that, after being exhausted by two wars in the region? Further, it wouldn't make them "invasion proof" by anyone with nukes - if they used it on that occasion, they'd be committing national suicide as opposed to losing a war.

Try again sparky. :lol:

Instead, Iran wants the bomb for one reason alone: it makes them invasion proof.

Another exercize in illogic from our resident Gigglemeister. :D Exactly who would invade Iran, since the perfectly positioned and armed Iraq tried and failed in the 1980s? And why would the US invade Iran? Does ANYBODY really believe the US would do that, after being exhausted by two wars in the region? Further, it wouldn't make them "invasion proof" by anyone with nukes - if they used it on that occasion, they'd be committing national suicide as opposed to losing a war.

Try again sparky. :lol:

You obviously weren't watching (or paying attention) during Ames. Santorum is extremely hawkish towards Iran. The rest of the GOP field (save for Paul) is going to become much more hawkish on the issue as the election progresses.

First, Santorum says Iran has been at war with the United States since 1979.

http://original.antiwar.com/anthony-gregory/2011/08/12/rick-santorum-targets-iran/

Apparently Rick Santorum thinks we are already at war.

You honestly think Iraq's failure to beat Iran in their war will have any bearing over our decision making process? Have you been sleeping for the last decade?

I never thought the U.S. would be crazy enough to try and do a twofer while in Afghanistan. I am now cynical of what my government will do when it comes to wars of choice. It makes it so much easier to be militaristic with an all volunteer military.

For the last point, it wouldn't matter. Even if we did obliterate Iran, the possibility of Iran nuking our staging area and inflicting tens if not hundreds of thousands of casualties makes the prospect so politically risky, no one would ever risk it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back