.North Dakota Boomtown Suffers Growing Pains Trying to Keep Up with Demand

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
North Dakota Boomtown Suffers Growing Pains Trying to Keep Up with Demand

As domestic oil production increases, towns like Williston, N.D., struggle to meet demand for workers, housing and improved infrastructure. For some communities experiencing the benefits of an energy boom, rapid expansion comes with serious trade-offs. Ray Suarez reports.

JEFFREY BROWN: Tonight, we begin a series on the changing landscape of energy in the U.S. and the consequences of ever-increasing development.

Ray Suarez is our guide this week. Tonight, he visits the booming economy in western North Dakota, where new drilling technologies have opened up massive oil reserves.

North Dakota Boomtown Suffers Growing Pains Trying to Keep Up with Demand | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 7, 2012 | PBS

North Dakota Boomtown Suffers Growing Pains Trying to Keep Up with Demand

As domestic oil production increases, towns like Williston, N.D., struggle to meet demand for workers, housing and improved infrastructure. For some communities experiencing the benefits of an energy boom, rapid expansion comes with serious trade-offs. Ray Suarez reports.

JEFFREY BROWN: Tonight, we begin a series on the changing landscape of energy in the U.S. and the consequences of ever-increasing development.

Ray Suarez is our guide this week. Tonight, he visits the booming economy in western North Dakota, where new drilling technologies have opened up massive oil reserves.

North Dakota Boomtown Suffers Growing Pains Trying to Keep Up with Demand | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 7, 2012 | PBS

I'm just north of here. Everyone is prospering.

How many threads are you going to start this morning?

North Dakota is a happening place right now. Think I read something about MickyD's paying $15 bucks an hour.

If ND wasn't so damned cold in the Winter I'd head that way myself. LOL

We could have much more of this around the country, if only Obama would step aside.

That day is coming :eusa_angel:

I don't want to rape the planet. We've had enough conversations that you know this. But I am sick to death of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ coming into Suzuki's foundation (and Harper will nail him) and now finally finding out that one of Aflecks latest movies anti fracking is financed by an oil baron.

You can't make this crazy up.

North Dakota is a happening place right now. Think I read something about MickyD's paying $15 bucks an hour.

If ND wasn't so damned cold in the Winter I'd head that way myself. LOL

:D

I'm north of it but I love ND to death. And the people are to die for. Bundle up and you can take the winter.

You will just have to explain why Real Tree is your new fashion statement instead of Vogue to your friends back east. And why the Cabela's Christmas Catalogue is on your coffee table.

We could have much more of this around the country, if only Obama would step aside.

I don't want to rape the planet. We've had enough conversations that you know this. But I am sick to death of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ coming into Suzuki's foundation (and Harper will nail him) and now finally finding out that one of Aflecks latest movies anti fracking is financed by an oil baron.

Please explain why an oil baron is finiancing an anti-fracking movie.

Well if one is heavily vested in petroleum industry, then the growing natural gas reserves is an obvious threat to continued higher prices for oil.

Just a guess, given that I have no idea who this Suzuki guy is.

It's just nuts we're not drilling anywhere and everywhere we can in this country and our territorial offshore waters as well. We're sitting on enough oil to take care of our needs for God only knows how long.

We have to be the laughing stock of the world, especially in the Middle East.

It's just nuts we're not drilling anywhere and everywhere we can in this country and our territorial offshore waters as well. We're sitting on enough oil to take care of our needs for God only knows how long.

It wouldn't be a good idea to blow thought all those resources like it'll always be there. Lots of oil or not, it's still not renewable and will run out some day.

The stupid thing is that we're not taking advantage of it enough, and instead, sending billions of dollars to countries that despise us.

It's ME oil.

Come on, you aren't stupid. These are the same people who are trying to block Canadian pipelines.

If the whole country were to have the same policy of North Dakota and had oil and gas production we would have the boomtime across the country instead of just one state.

That's why Romney is right and obama is wrong.

It wouldn't be a good idea to blow thought all those resources like it'll always be there. Lots of oil or not, it's still not renewable and will run out some day.

The stupid thing is that we're not taking advantage of it enough, and instead, sending billions of dollars to countries that despise us.

Canada is your primo supplier and yet Obama chose to block the pipeline.

Why?

Why?

Because he's a lefty idiot...among other things.

It's ME oil.

Come on, you aren't stupid. These are the same people who are trying to block Canadian pipelines.

Ohh I understand.
However many do not.
They have to pay for and use their supertankers and such infrastructure.

It is kinda like the "tree huggers" being the best friends of the mansion owners on the gulf coast of Florida.

Last edited:
Well, after last night's debate, don't you know that the reason we're paying $4.00 a gallon for gas is because the economy is booming? The reason it was $1.86 when Barry came to office was because we were in a severe recession. I was taking a drink and damn near choked to death on that. I mean even some of the DNC hacks on this site don't try and pass off that much crap in one sentence.

But seriously, doesn't this show just exactly that Barry and his cronies have NO IDEA about how an industry, so important to this nation, works? I'll tell you something else that is so completely and totally sad. There are people in this nation who actually believe this kind of crap. You talk to some liberals and they will buy this hook, line and sinker.

The leases in North Dakota are on PRIVATE LANDS. Now, here's a flash for you. Since we're Americans (at least for now) and since you own property, you can do pretty much what you would like to do with that propery. For years and years we've known about some of these trapped reserves. It wasn't until we went back to fracking that we were able to get to them. As Romney said, and he was right (saying it ain't so don't make it less true), Barry and his administration are allowing less and less drilling on federal lands. Actually, 60% less.

I know several people who have moved to the Dakotas. They say there is a new kind of cold up there. Much too old for that...

Why?

Because he's a lefty idiot...among other things.

That he is. You win the trip to Hawaii:lol:

Trying to pull an Alex Trebec here. Horrific cold and I had no idea that the new cold medications could have this effect.

Bear with me.

Why don't all the so called "independents" get it?

Laws regulating fracking are still controlled by the state. Fracking is used to extract profitable amounts of gas and oil from shale oil. Even if the President imposes federal regulations on fracking they will only effect federal lands. Most of the new Shale Oil plays are not on federal lands. So how is the President standing in the way?

Laws regulating fracking are still controlled by the state. Fracking is used to extract profitable amounts of gas and oil from shale oil. Even if the President imposes federal regulations on fracking they will only effect federal lands. Most of the new Shale Oil plays are not on federal lands. So how is the President standing in the way?

He can start by removing the over $40 billion in oil and gas taxes that are in his proposed budget.

Then he can shut his ignorant yapper about "subsidies" to oil and gas companies - a complete falsehood.

Open ANWR, the eastern GOM, and the coastal OCS.

Lighten up on the endangerd species act and fast-track the permitting process.

Approve Keystone XL.

Make it more difficult for environmental groups to file spurrious lawsuits against exploration and drilling.

Forum List

Back